Author Topic: Has Jin changed the past?  (Read 7480 times)

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Has Jin changed the past?
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 05:38:57 PM »
As for changing the past, I think the past hasn't changed but the course may be taking detours.  There is only one time line and anytime there is a course correction (something that should happen doesn't, so something else has to happen to get things back on track), memories are rewritten/added/erased.  Remember in 5x02 when Charlotte said, ".. It's the weirdest thing earlier.  I was thinking about my mum and all of a sudden I couldn't remember her maiden name.  Isn't that odd?"

Do you suppose that, during a time jump, the Losties do somethign that causes time to temporarily shift courses, causing Charlotte's grandmother to not marry her grandfather (thus changing Charlotte's mum's maiden name)... but then of course, time "course corrects" and all is well in the future?  Just havin fun :)

Offline Souldrinker

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 05:58:34 PM »
What? xD

Offline westy185

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2009, 11:25:18 PM »
PK: As for changing the past, I think the past hasn't changed but the course may be taking detours.  There is only one time line and anytime there is a course correction (something that should happen doesn't, so something else has to happen to get things back on track), memories are rewritten/added/erased.  Remember in 5x02 when Charlotte said, ".. It's the weirdest thing earlier.  I was thinking about my mum and all of a sudden I couldn't remember her maiden name.  Isn't that odd?"
Also Charlotte mentioned she hadn't had a nose bleed since she was a child.
You've hit on exactly what is happening that accounts for discrepancies such as why Rousseau does not remember Jin. That is, as time is being tweaked, minds are being affected. Memories are lost, leaving some to have unexplainable reactions, such as why Daniel is crying when he watches the Oceanic plane on TV, but doesn't know why he is crying. It could account for why Locke has thought himself special all his life when his life could best be described as mundane until it took a turn for worse (his father throwing him out a window).

Jeronimo Jackson

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2009, 04:41:09 AM »
Random note regarding subject matter:  Producers confirmed that Jin's sudden appearance of curly hair is a direct result of being on the fringe/border of the electromagnetic field.

It's as-if he were about to "stay" in time, but also "get sucked-in" with the island.  Because of this, it had unusual effects on his body, not unlike the Temporal Displacement=nosebleeds.

That's NOT to say, though, that Jin is confused about past-present-future (Temporal Displacement.) 

The enhanced episodes are good for factoids like this, not just repeat information.  They'll always have 1 or 2 good things in there.

Offline fulcigento

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2009, 01:39:08 PM »
Rewatching season one.  In the episode "Solitary" Rousseau captures Sayid and begins to tell him what happened to her and her team.  She tells him that they were on their way back from the Black Rock (not on the way to the radio tower) when the rest of her team got sick.  Is this something we haven't been shown yet?  Seems like they were just getting to the the island when they saw Jin floating in the water.  They pulled him onto their raft and when they got to the beach they were determined to find the radio tower.  On the way there, thats when Smokie attacked. 

She also told Sayid that something happened after her and her team were there for 2 months...timeline sounds off. 

partial transcript from Lostpedia:

DANIELLE: Our vessel was 3 days out of Tahiti when our instruments malfunctioned. It was night, a storm, the sounds. The ship slammed into rocks, ran aground, the hull breached beyond repair. So, we made camp, dug out this temporary shelter. Temporary. Nearly 2 months we survived here, 2 months before --

SAYID: Your distress signal? The message I heard, you said, "It killed them all."

DANIELLE: We were coming back from the Black Rock. It was them. They were the carriers.