Author Topic: it's all ben's fault  (Read 8206 times)

Offline Hurley rocks dudes

• Survivor
    • View Profile
it's all ben's fault
« on: February 11, 2009, 11:34:01 PM »
christian told locke that he was supposed to move the island.
ben told locke that he was supposed to stay with his people
christian told locke that he shouldn't have listened to ben

its all ben's fault that all of this is happening because he should have let locke move the island instead

Offline userh6478

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: it's all ben's fault
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 11:40:14 PM »
How was Locke suppose to know that.. Even ben for that matter, maybe Ben thought it was his fault so he left..I dont' know

Offline razzle-dazzle

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 11:49:20 PM »
I think Ben wanted revenge on Widmore. He didn't care what happened as long as he could leave the island to get his little revenge.

Offline blueeyed2200

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 12:29:33 AM »
Yeah, that is what is kind of puzzling me . . . If Ben knew he was going to have to get everyone back to the island to begin with, why did he bother leaving?  Why wouldn't he just let Locke go himself?  I mean, he was so tore up about leaving the island and not being able to come back?  Why not just let Locke do the dirty work and stay back on the island?

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 12:56:13 AM »
What I want to know is WHY does the island want Locke to leave the island since it seems he'd never be able to come back.  Locke really gets **** on by life/fate/destiny.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 02:08:42 AM »
I always thought something wasn't right with the way that Ben shook Locke's hand just before turning the wheel...apologizing for making his life so miserable. It was all part of his act. Dang it, Ben, when will we learn?!

Offline norville

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 03:33:53 AM »
You have to ask yourself, what is Ben's agenda?  What is it he hoped to be able to accomplish by leaving the island, by leaving Locke in charge, perhaps knowing Locke would have to follow him later to put things right again?  He was taking advantage of Locke's gullibility, deliberately going against Jacob's will, but to what end?  That's what I can't figure out, but I have a feeling it has something to do with time travel and Ben wanting to regain (or increase) his position and power on the island.

Also, just count me among those simply counting the episodes before Locke gets resurrected or something and delivers a wrath-of-Jacob-sized whupping of Ben's butt as Ben's best-laid plans ultimately come crashing down. :)

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 03:40:01 AM »
Also, just count me among those simply counting the episodes before Locke gets resurrected or something and delivers a wrath-of-Jacob-sized whupping of Ben's butt as Ben's best-laid plans ultimately come crashing down. :)

That will be such a satisfying scene! Locke turns into Smokey and pulls Ben apart, haha! Though we know Ben can take physical torture, maybe the better "butt-whupping" would be for Locke to be aware of Ben's plans all along and totally undermine them for Ben's downfall. Also a very satisfying scene.

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 04:08:30 AM »
I think Ben wanted revenge on Widmore. He didn't care what happened as long as he could leave the island to get his little revenge.

good point

What I want to know is WHY does the island want Locke to leave the island since it seems he'd never be able to come back.  Locke really gets **** on by life/fate/destiny.

for some reason, the island is extremely concerned that Locke accepts "fate"
Locke talks a lot about fate, faith and destiny but hasn't he been fighting his destiny his whole life? Hasn't he been trying to make go his own way?   

The island wants Locke to truly accept fate:
don't question putting in the numbers, just put them
don't listen to Ben over Christian (a messenger of the island), listen to the messenger and do exactly as he says
don't be led astray, trust the island

The island is moving him, guiding him to trust jacob and the island even if that trust leads him down a path that he doesn't like. Only when he fully trusts the island will he "ascend" and be "one with the island"

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 04:27:09 AM »
It's funny that Locke listened to Ben instead of the "island's messenger" (I like that phrase, james!), and Locke kinda got screwed for it, and Hurley listened to Sayid instead of the island's messenger of Ana Lucia and kinda got screwed for it too. Is there anyone who actually listens to these manifestations? Ok actually Hurley did for a while (Charlie, aw!).

Offline Mrs Hume

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 05:11:23 AM »
You have to ask yourself, what is Ben's agenda?  What is it he hoped to be able to accomplish by leaving the island, by leaving Locke in charge, perhaps knowing Locke would have to follow him later to put things right again?  He was taking advantage of Locke's gullibility, deliberately going against Jacob's will, but to what end?  That's what I can't figure out, but I have a feeling it has something to do with time travel and Ben wanting to regain (or increase) his position and power on the island.

Well, maybe Ben wanted everyone to be thinking, ..Ben left and Locke couldn't handle things and now look who has to come back and fix it.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 06:31:53 AM »

Ben had been able to leave the island without moving it before, though. And quite a few Losties left the island without needing to move it. If Ben wanted to leave the island to seek revenge, I doubt he'd give up his power to do so.

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 07:34:40 AM »

If he is a "Christ energy figure" then you can see the similarities...it's a sh*++y gig, but someone has to do it. Seriously, I've always felt drawn to Locke, even though he has been hard to love a few times...I guess it is my mothering side coming out. I think it stinks that he's had to go through so much also, but it has caused him to evolve/seek. Maybe there will be an ok ending for him (I hope, and I don't care if that's predictable!)

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 10:05:27 AM »
It is likely that anyone could have turned the wheel to move the island, but Ben did it because he knew what to do once he was off and in a different time. He had the connections and the plan. Locke would have been confused and lost. Mm. Lost.

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 10:14:09 AM »

If he is a "Christ energy figure" then you can see the similarities...it's a sh*++y gig, but someone has to do it. Seriously, I've always felt drawn to Locke, even though he has been hard to love a few times...I guess it is my mothering side coming out. I think it stinks that he's had to go through so much also, but it has caused him to evolve/seek. Maybe there will be an ok ending for him (I hope, and I don't care if that's predictable!)

But remember, although he has had to endure a lot, he wouldn't go back and warn himself to change that.  He HAD to endure in order to learn and accept.