Author Topic: The Rules of Time-Jumping...  (Read 3344 times)

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: The Rules of Time-Jumping...
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 06:10:46 AM »
I think Rousseau called them ''others" and the 815ers took that name from her.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 06:37:32 PM »
The "others" is also the name we the viewers know them as... and the name the writers have given them... so that's our perspective and that's the one that really counts :)

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 01:52:58 PM »
The "others" is also the name we the viewers know them as... and the name the writers have given them... so that's our perspective and that's the one that really counts :)
Good point... but it still doesn't necessarily define them very well. From our perspective, the DI and the hostiles could all be lumped into the "Others" category, as well as Desmond, Danielle, etc.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 04:36:32 PM »
The "Others" is also the name we the viewers know them as... and the name the writers have given them... so that's our perspective and that's the one that really counts :)
Good point... but it still doesn't necessarily define them very well. From our perspective, the DI and the hostiles could all be lumped into the "Others" category, as well as Desmond, Danielle, etc.

Not true... The Others, when introduced, were the group who stole babies and children, could sneak around the island undetected, and created scary smoke signals.  DI, Desmond, and Danielle are not part of the Others (with a capital O) group.  The hostiles are the same group as the Others, but just under different leadership...

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 06:43:33 AM »
found this on timelooptheory.com

Below are the rules of this newly created time machine:

When you go back in time, you do not de-age. For example, if you are 50, and go back 10 years in time, you do NOT have your 40-year-old body.  HOWEVER, while you are re-living 10 years of your life, you body will not age until you catch up with the time in which you entered the time machine.

When you go back in time, you will still have your current hair style, tattoos, bodily organs, and memory.  However, say you were paralyzed; fate would need to do some course correction to make sure that you are still able to play your past role in life.  Thus, time travel can TEMPORARILY cure any physical ailments you may have had prior to entering the time machine.  However, fate will still find a way to paralyze you once you catch up with the current time.  Say the first time you were paralyzed, it was because you were pushed out of a window.  Because “the universe has a funny way of course correcting,” you may get hit by a car the second time around.

When you go back in time, you can only “change” things that don’t have an impact on your destiny.  In other words, if you went to church on a specific date in the past, and then went back in time, you wouldn’t necessarily go to church in your new timeline.  However, if you changed a belief as a result of going to church the first time around, “fate would find a way to influence you into that belief.”  Perhaps you would have a near death experience, or maybe a mysterious person would greet you in a jewelry store and tell you that you need to change your beliefs… or, maybe fate would just kill you since it couldn’t find a way to change your belief.

If you go back in time and die, you are not “totally” dead because there has already been a variation of the universe where you were alive in the future.  Thus, you become “half dead” until time catches back up.  In other words, your presence may be known to some people but not others.  Your presence would only be known when you are required to make an impact to fate.

If you have never had a child, you cannot go back in time and give birth.  Fate does not allow for a new entity to exist in a past where it originally did not exist.  Thus fate would either have to kill the mother, the baby, or both in order to course correct.  UNLESS, fate decides to use the baby or mother to “replace” someone else in the timeline.

Basically, the “rules of the time machine” are not governed by any physical definitions of time travel.  The “rules,” if you will, are governed by how FATE decides to preserve the timeline.  Thus, if you are required to do something profound in a future timeline, fate will find any way possible to preserve the timeline – we’ve seen ghosts and smoke monsters in LOST.  So according to the show’s definition of time travel, fate “does have a funny way of course correcting.”

so.... that explains the ageless richard... he must be a jumper too.... bet ya £3.67 that sawyer and juliet et al dont age for 30 years either... (that's all I have in my purse right now :( )

And.... the whole babies thing.... you can't have a baby if you've jumped back in time, so if the whole island jumped back in time with all it's inhabitants they cant have kids on the island until they've caught up wth themselves in the future. Therefore solving the fertility issue.

wow. I liked that... did anyone else already discuss this?

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 02:26:04 AM »
I don't know why no one else had commented on this yet, this is a very good reason for everything that has happened. like Christian being dead then not, and Locke paralyzed then not, being dead then not. Maybe Jacob too. Rose's Cancer being gone, the fertility issues , people not aging, etc etc

So, when did the island move back in time? had to be way before the losties got there. Juliette was recruited 3yrs before that so it had to be before that and they stole Alex way way before. (if that was the reason) so it had to be when widmore left maybe? when he turned the wheel last, it moved the island back in time and was stuck there?

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 05:42:14 AM »
I don't know why no one else had commented on this yet, this is a very good reason for everything that has happened. like Christian being dead then not, and Locke paralyzed then not, being dead then not. Maybe Jacob too. Rose's Cancer being gone, the fertility issues , people not aging, etc etc

So, when did the island move back in time? had to be way before the losties got there. Juliette was recruited 3yrs before that so it had to be before that and they stole Alex way way before. (if that was the reason) so it had to be when widmore left maybe? when he turned the wheel last, it moved the island back in time and was stuck there?

I think further back than that... I wouldnt not be suprised if our buddy Alpert was one of the original pirates on the Black Rock and something funky happened back then, I mean the donkey wheel does bear a striking resemblance to a ships wheel... and there just happened to be a brtish slave vessel from 1845 magically appeared on land.

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 02:35:30 PM »
ah, but after reading your post I would think that in the beginning when Dharma set up, they didn't have a problem having babies, so it would have had to be sometime after Dharma sets up no?

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 11:14:18 AM »
ah, but after reading your post I would think that in the beginning when Dharma set up, they didn't have a problem having babies, so it would have had to be sometime after Dharma sets up no?
Pie in the sky here - but yeah.. the whole baby thing came about because of a dharma experiment gone wrong, or an unsuccessful change to the Valenzetti equation or something.

Offline mrose4243

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 10:06:30 AM »
Great post, Dizzybeckster.

It does make some kind of weird sense, or as much sense as one can make with an 'impossible' concept.  ;D

I think we'll find out a lot in the 2-part season finale 'The Incident', which is what might have created the fertility problem.  I do like the theory that 'if you didn't have a baby in the past, you can't have one when you go back in time'.