Author Topic: 1988  (Read 12277 times)

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: 1988
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2009, 09:25:47 PM »
Jin was there when Danielle set up dynamite in the field for a demonstration.

She would never forget the face of the first and only stranger she saw on The Island for 16 years, no matter how crazy she may have gotten.

Jin has ALWAYS been there in 1988 when the Frenchies showed up.  He stopped her from following the rest of the Frenchies into the under-Temple brainwashing.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2009, 03:20:05 AM »
i think jin changed things by being there, just like faraday talking to des, i don't think that happened the first time around which is why it appeared to des in a dream.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2009, 06:25:23 PM »
She would never forget the face of the first and only stranger she saw on The Island for 16 years, no matter how crazy she may have gotten.

I know I would... 16 years... that's a long time...

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2009, 03:05:44 PM »
Issues like this seem very strange, because it is possible that she did forget what he looked like after seeing him for what seemed like maybe only 2 days, and then nothing for 16 years. But this is the guy that randomly was floating in the ocean, helped them find the radio tower, and he did save her from getting "infected" like the rest of her crew, which in turn saved her life (as far as she knows), so the face should stick out in a crowd of something like 40+ people (was the passenger list around 40 for Oceanic 815?? Correct me if I'm wrong).

But, she might also have lost a little bit upstairs because of the extreme isolation, and maybe when she saw Jin, her brain processed it as Mysterious dude from 16 years ago is Asian, new mysterious dude is asian, they look exactly alike, but can't be the same, because this dude is the same age as the other dude.

I know she probably wouldn't be thinking "dude", but I do...Dude. LOL

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2009, 04:09:56 PM »
Speaking of "dude", a good cop-out for her not recognizing Jin is thus:

(Like Hurley) she probably saw Jin all the time during those 16 years...in her crazy head!

Seeing him standing amidst those other ACTUAL survivors was not shocking to her.  After all this time, she's come to ignore him.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2009, 04:13:13 PM »
Speaking of "dude", a good cop-out for her not recognizing Jin is thus:

(Like Hurley) she probably saw Jin all the time during those 16 years...in her crazy head!

Seeing him standing amidst those other ACTUAL survivors was not shocking to her.  After all this time, she's come to ignore him.

So maybe Dave isn't imaginary? Maybe he's someone Hurley meets on-island in the 70's??

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2009, 03:21:51 PM »
I'm calling this one (why older Danielle didn't seem to recognize Jin) just plain old sloppy writing.  Widmore remembered Locke.  They're being inconsistent.

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2009, 09:45:32 AM »
I'm calling this one (why older Danielle didn't seem to recognize Jin) just plain old sloppy writing.  Widmore remembered Locke.  They're being inconsistent.
I don't know about that.  Seems consistent to me.  When Danielle first saw Jin, Jin hadn't travelled back in time yet... the memory didn't exist yet.  Widmore remembered Locke because he saw him after Locke had travelled back in time.

I know... this starts up the whole time travel rules thing and I don't want to do that.  I'm just saying, good or bad, they're actually consistent.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2009, 03:19:05 PM »
I don't know about that.  Seems consistent to me.  When Danielle first saw Jin, Jin hadn't travelled back in time yet... the memory didn't exist yet.  Widmore remembered Locke because he saw him after Locke had travelled back in time.

I know... this starts up the whole time travel rules thing and I don't want to do that.  I'm just saying, good or bad, they're actually consistent.

I think you might want to look at this idea again and tweak it. I know exactly what you're saying, but I think the idea here is that Widmore had Abadon (sp??) go to the hospital to recommend the walkabout to Locke because Widmore and Locke met back in 1954 (before Locke had even travelled to the island on Oceanic 815).

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2009, 05:34:11 PM »

I think you might want to look at this idea again and tweak it. I know exactly what you're saying, but I think the idea here is that Widmore had Abadon (sp??) go to the hospital to recommend the walkabout to Locke because Widmore and Locke met back in 1954 (before Locke had even travelled to the island on Oceanic 815).
Good point.
Stupid time travel.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2009, 10:44:57 AM »

Good point.
Stupid time travel.

Not really. I am a big dork when it comes to certain things, like many others on here I'm sure, and I guess you could call me a cinophile. Well, my point is this, I have seen so many iterations of time travel, and as far as I can tell, TPTB have so far managed to avoid paradoxes. So Abbadon meeting with Locke in the hospital after his accident (presumably) because Widmore sent him there makes sense. They have been treading a very fine line when it comes to the paradox problem, but they are doing a good job.