Author Topic: 1988  (Read 12262 times)

Offline PK

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« on: February 05, 2009, 11:00:38 AM »
This seems to be an important time.  According to season 1 episode 18, this is where Sam Tu Me and Leonard Sims first heard the numbers while working on a boat for the navy monitoring. Could this be when the so called incident happened?

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: 1988
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:59:42 AM »
^ so jin/frenchies are in 1988, but locke/losties are in 2007 ish?

Offline PK

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 12:05:15 PM »
I think Locke and friends are in 2004/2005 at least their mind sets.  But they have shifted into 1988.

Rousseau and crew crashed in 1988 and also she set her repeating message in 1988.

Offline sledgeweb

• HIM
  • In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 12:05:33 PM »
No, JMART, they have to be together. Locke kicked the french wreckage over. Jin would have presumably been flashing through time along with the other losties. So, he was afloat in the ocean in 2004, 1950's, etc. That's my guess anyways.

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 12:12:38 PM »
No, JMART, they have to be together. Locke kicked the french wreckage over. Jin would have presumably been flashing through time along with the other losties. So, he was afloat in the ocean in 2004, 1950's, etc. That's my guess anyways.
I agree.  That was my first thought anyways.

I think they are going to have to show how he ended up in the "sphere" of the Island disappearing though.  When it happened the first time the freighter was not visible to Sawyer and Juliet.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 12:21:50 PM »

I think they are going to have to show how he ended up in the "sphere" of the Island disappearing though.  When it happened the first time the freighter was not visible to Sawyer and Juliet.

The freighter was not visible because the freighter did not time jump... neither did the camp site or 815 plane wreckage and it was in the "sphere"...  However, Jin and the debris he was on did time jump...

Offline Will H

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 12:25:53 PM »

The freighter was not visible because the freighter did not time jump... neither did the camp site or 815 plane wreckage and it was in the "sphere"...  However, Jin and the debris he was on did time jump...

didnt the losties who time junping see the smoke of the freighter just after the 1st time jump

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 12:27:36 PM »

didnt the losties who time junping see the smoke of the freighter just after the 1st time jump

No.  After the first light flash the smoke was gone.  And so was the camp site...

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 12:32:28 PM »

Good point - Jin looked like he was floating for a while...

it kind of reminded me of a Twilight Zone (might have been Night Gallery) epidose called "The Lone Survivor". A man is picked up in a lifeboat dressed as a woman. He is taken aboard and questioned because it's impossible what they are seeing. The lifeboat is marked "Titanic" and he has signs of frostbite. Later, he starts telling them he is a "flying Dutchman" doomed to roam the seas for cowardess and he warns them about a German submarine and a torpedo. The crew and captain think he's crazy.....then you see the torpedo heading toward the ship. The man is then sighted by another ship in a lifeboat marked "Lusitania". The camera focuses on the ship and you see she's the Andrea Doria....

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 12:37:46 PM »

No.  After the first light flash the smoke was gone.  And so was the camp site...
I guess I'm a little confused because the canoe, boat thingy, jumped time with them.  So that would explain the piece of wreckage he was lying on moving with him.  I still think you had to within a certain radius because that is what Daniel said.

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 12:41:13 PM »

Good point - Jin looked like he was floating for a while...

it kind of reminded me of a Twilight Zone (might have been Night Gallery) epidose called "The Lone Survivor". A man is picked up in a lifeboat dressed as a woman. He is taken aboard and questioned because it's impossible what they are seeing. The lifeboat is marked "Titanic" and he has signs of frostbite. Later, he starts telling them he is a "flying Dutchman" doomed to roam the seas for cowardess and he warns them about a German submarine and a torpedo. The crew and captain think he's crazy.....then you see the torpedo heading toward the ship. The man is then sighted by another ship in a lifeboat marked "Lusitania". The camera focuses on the ship and you see she's the Andrea Doria....

I love Twilight Zone.  I have all of the five initial Rod Serling seasons on dvd.  Great plot twists!!

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 12:41:58 PM »
Did Rousseau ever mention anything about finding someone in the ocean/on shore to any of the other survivors??

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 12:46:44 PM »

I guess I'm a little confused because the canoe, boat thingy, jumped time with them.  So that would explain the piece of wreckage he was lying on moving with him.  I still think you had to within a certain radius because that is what Daniel said.

I still say the freighter was within the radius or sphere or cylinder or whatever...

I've always had the question about inorganic material jumping with the Losties.  I guess things they are in contact with, such as clothes and guns and canoes can jump with them.  It's a good thing too because they'd all have been naked after the first time jump.

I was really expecting the canoe to disappear underneath them during the jump...

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 12:49:34 PM »
Not that I recall.  But just like Desmond suddenly has a new memory that he need to go find Daniel's mom, Rousseau would only have the memory of Jin now that it has happened.  Only she is presumable still dead in the now timeline.  Unless something changes that.  And I think we all hope Lost is not going to end up being about changing the timeline so everything never happened.  That's a cheap way out.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 12:54:13 PM »
Not that I recall.  But just like Desmond suddenly has a new memory that he need to go find Daniel's mom, Rousseau would only have the memory of Jin now that it has happened.  Only she is presumable still dead in the now timeline.  Unless something changes that.  And I think we all hope Lost is not going to end up being about changing the timeline so everything never happened.  That's a cheap way out.

I too would be very disappointed if that were the case.