Author Topic: John in the "meat locker"...  (Read 8560 times)

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
John in the "meat locker"...
« on: February 05, 2009, 09:04:33 AM »
John flashing around on the island...

Ok, trying to get my head around this.

John Locke is still flashing around with our group of losties (that Jin will soon reunite with, I hope), and it seems to be only days since the first time shift. Ben and the 06 have been living for three years back in the "real" world and are gathering to go back to the island. But, Locke's body has been there for a while now (not sure how much "real" time has passed since we discovered he was the one in the coffin).

When the flashing Locke gets to the Orchid with the other flashing losties, is that when he "goes through" the "warp" to real time?

This did make a bit of sense to me as I was still lying in bed half-asleep this morning! It seemed important for me to figure out. Now that I've written it, it is just a jumbled mess!

Any of you able to figure out what it is I'm asking?!!!  ::)

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: John in the "meat locker"...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 09:55:53 AM »
I'm not following, but will have another look at what you discuss tonight.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 10:29:30 AM »
Locke hasn't been on ice for the entire three years.  His obituary didn't appear until Jack was a junkie and hopping flights in hopes of a crash.

The article that the episode's newspaper prop is based on is from the April 5th, 2007 edition of the Los Angeles Times.

We'll find out how and when Locke "dies" off-Island.

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 10:33:39 AM »
Locke hasn't been on ice for the entire three years.  His obituary didn't appear until Jack was a junkie and hopping flights in hopes of a crash.

The article that the episode's newspaper prop is based on is from the April 5th, 2007 edition of the Los Angeles Times.

We'll find out how and when Locke "dies" off-Island.

I'm just confused about the time differences...the losties can't last long with these time flashes, especially with the nose bleeds etc. I keep watching the losties, hoping that Jack and the others are on their way, but realizing that they really haven't even started to gather to go help them.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 11:08:46 AM »
you can't look at it like both things are happening at the same time.  they are at different times.  our on island time (minus all the flashes) is early 2005.  the la time is 2008.  there is 3 years in there we are still missing.  we don't know much about that 3 year period.  what we DO know is that locke gets OFF the island and dies.  gets an obit as jeremy bentham, and essentially brings the O6 back together. 

maybe it will help if you look at off island times as "flash forewards."  that's what i've been doing.  either that or look at the on island time as "flash backs." 

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 11:14:25 AM »
you can't look at it like both things are happening at the same time.  they are at different times.  our on island time (minus all the flashes) is early 2005.  the la time is 2008.  there is 3 years in there we are still missing.  we don't know much about that 3 year period.  what we DO know is that locke gets OFF the island and dies.  gets an obit as jeremy bentham, and essentially brings the O6 back together. 

maybe it will help if you look at off island times as "flash forewards."  that's what i've been doing.  either that or look at the on island time as "flash backs." 

Deffinitely. The dead giveaway to me is that when ever they go to the island to show Locke and all of the others is the flashback noise. It's one of those things that you kind of not notice because you hear it so often, but there is a noise that happens before all of the flashbacks, and it comes up whenever they go back to the island to show us what is going on with Locke.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 11:28:22 AM »
i guess i've become immune to "the noise"!  i used to notice it all the time, but i havne't noticed it this season.  i'll have to pay closer attention!

Offline Thomas

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 11:41:21 AM »

John Locke is still flashing around with our group of losties (that Jin will soon reunite with, I hope), and it seems to be only days since the first time shift. Ben and the 06 have been living for three years back in the "real" world and are gathering to go back to the island. But, Locke's body has been there for a while now (not sure how much "real" time has passed since we discovered he was the one in the coffin).

When the flashing Locke gets to the Orchid with the other flashing losties, is that when he "goes through" the "warp" to real time?

This did make a bit of sense to me as I was still lying in bed half-asleep this morning! It seemed important for me to figure out. Now that I've written it, it is just a jumbled mess!

Think of it this way....

The boat exploded, the wheel was turned on the same day.   On that day, the O6 did not start time shifting, those on the Island did start shifting.    Both groups move forward with thier timeline.

For the O6 they had to get picked up by Penny's boat, decide to lie, stage their rescue and get back to the mainland and start their new lives after the crash.   They've been on the mainland about 3 years because we see the "three years later" notes.  

For Locke and the rest on the Island, we have only seen a few days of thier activity since the wheel turning, boat explosion day.  

Don't try to relate what is going on with the Islanders to what is going on with the O6 as simultaneous.   When we see the O6, think of what's going on on the Island as a flashback.   For them, what we've seen happened three years ago.    When you see them on the boat talking about having to lie, that is soon after the timeshifting started.   In otherwords, if the shifting stopped and Locke went back to where he was before the shifting, the O6 would still be offshore waiting to be rescued.

What we can gather from what we've been shown on the mainland (3 years of progress) compared to the short time (maybe a week) of time in the lives of those on the island, is that Locke will find a way to return to the mainland and end up in a coffin.  Let's say that happens next episode.   Locke get's to the Orchid, spins the wheel and gets shot off the island.   If he jumps ahead in time like Ben did, he'll be in the future looking just a few days or a week older than when Ben turned the wheel.    If the coffin were the end for him, that would be all she wrote.    He would have died from his point of view just a few weeks after the time shifting stopped.   For the O6 it would look like 3 years later.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 12:23:39 PM »
um.  i think that's what i said.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 12:34:31 PM »
Or you can also think of the the O6 story as flash forwards

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 03:45:59 PM »

Think of it this way....

The boat exploded, the wheel was turned on the same day.   On that day, the O6 did not start time shifting, those on the Island did start shifting.    Both groups move forward with thier timeline.

For the O6 they had to get picked up by Penny's boat, decide to lie, stage their rescue and get back to the mainland and start their new lives after the crash.   They've been on the mainland about 3 years because we see the "three years later" notes.  

For Locke and the rest on the Island, we have only seen a few days of thier activity since the wheel turning, boat explosion day.  

Don't try to relate what is going on with the Islanders to what is going on with the O6 as simultaneous.   When we see the O6, think of what's going on on the Island as a flashback.   For them, what we've seen happened three years ago.    When you see them on the boat talking about having to lie, that is soon after the timeshifting started.   In otherwords, if the shifting stopped and Locke went back to where he was before the shifting, the O6 would still be offshore waiting to be rescued.

What we can gather from what we've been shown on the mainland (3 years of progress) compared to the short time (maybe a week) of time in the lives of those on the island, is that Locke will find a way to return to the mainland and end up in a coffin.  Let's say that happens next episode.   Locke get's to the Orchid, spins the wheel and gets shot off the island.   If he jumps ahead in time like Ben did, he'll be in the future looking just a few days or a week older than when Ben turned the wheel.    If the coffin were the end for him, that would be all she wrote.    He would have died from his point of view just a few weeks after the time shifting stopped.   For the O6 it would look like 3 years later.

This is exactly right.

Offline IFP

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 04:55:04 PM »
Don't forget though, if the murdered corpse of the Doctor from the freighter can wash ashore BEFORE he's even been murdered, then it might not be that big of a stretch to say that it will seem as if the O6 returned only days later on the island, when it has in fact been 3 years for them. We don't neccesarily have 3 more years to go on the island like this. In fact, I'm betting against it. In a strange, metaphysical since, it would be happening simultaneously. Time will tell.  :P

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 06:50:04 PM »
Don't forget though, if the murdered corpse of the Doctor from the freighter can wash ashore BEFORE he's even been murdered, then it might not be that big of a stretch to say that it will seem as if the O6 returned only days later on the island, when it has in fact been 3 years for them. We don't neccesarily have 3 more years to go on the island like this. In fact, I'm betting against it. In a strange, metaphysical since, it would be happening simultaneously. Time will tell.  :P

Some support for this would be Daniel's telling Desmond to 'contact my mother.'  Des just woke up and suddenly knew it.  It was like the "island flash time" and "current time off-island" were simultaneous, even though it had been three years for Desmond and only a day or so for Daniel.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 07:05:14 PM »

man, Jin'll be pretty surprised if Sun shows up a week after the freighter blew up with a 2 1/2 year old baby girl named Ji Yeon..lol

Offline vickilynn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 08:15:53 PM »

man, Jin'll be pretty surprised if Sun shows up a week after the freighter blew up with a 2 1/2 year old baby girl named Ji Yeon..lol

Didn't think of this!