Author Topic: Jin goes with the island...but the helicopter does not?  (Read 4802 times)

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Jin goes with the island...but the helicopter does not?
« on: February 05, 2009, 02:00:23 AM »
Goes with island:
   Zodiak, between boat & shore, elevation = 0
   Jin, near exploded boat within 5 miles of shore, elevation = 0

Does not go with island:
   Helicopter with O6, probably got to within a couple miles from shore, elevation = ~1000ft

So, both the Zodiak & the helicopter were closer to the shoreline than Jin, but it was Jin that goes with the island and not the helicopter.  Hmmm....  I'm thinking that the island's radius of protection is shaped like a bell curve - or like the gravity well illustrated on Dan's Oxford lab's chalkboard.  A good illustration is the red curve in the top graph found here:   
       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution
Jin, if at the coordinates (-2,0), could go with the island, while the helicopter, if at the coordinates (-1.5,.2), might not. 

Do you think we'll ever get a clear explanation of this possible discrepancy, or was this just a plot contrivance by the writers, never to be explained?

Offline NorthShoreOGLost

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jin goes with the island...but the helicopter does not?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 04:01:40 AM »
The island does appear to be volcanic.  Perhaps the ship, and therefore a surviving Jin, were techinically "on" the island, because he was in the water above the submerged portions of the island?  A wild stab, I know.

Offline MichiganFan

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 09:15:48 AM »
I hope it's a better explanation than "he got lucky". The explanation so far is that the Zodiac was within the radius, but the helicopter was not. The helicopter was flying on a direct path to the Island and didn't make it. Jin should have been floating near the boat...unless the boat and Jin are in a different time ripple... although the helicopter should have been in one too if that;s the case. Oh well.

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 09:54:12 AM »
Radius to island?  Elevation from sea level?  Coordinates of diversion?  Different time ripple?  Just got lucky?

Its so confusing, but I'm going with grabbing a bottle of ripple and trying to get lucky......

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 10:38:43 AM »
The helicopter was actually only a 2 second Sawyer-fall from the ocean surface when it was heading TO the freighter.  I imagine that when they were headed back to The Island it might've been higher.

The reason Jin time-tripped was because The Island wanted him...and so did the writers...and so did we.  If it doesn't make any sense, well then I'll just have to not think about it too hard.  There are plenty of other things to stew over.

Offline sledgeweb

• HIM
  • In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
Maybe Jin was thrown so far by the freighter explosion he landed inside the radius :)

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 11:02:40 AM »
This seems like a major boo-boo from the writers. The only way out that I can think of is that we're wrong about the whole radius thing. I mean, we're only thinking in terms of some radius because Daniel said it. But who says Daniel understands what's going on?  Just my take.

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 12:34:08 PM »
Or radius is just two dimensional.... out but not up.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 12:37:25 PM »
Maybe it's more like a cylinder... with a flat roof  :-\

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 12:37:50 PM »
Well, sort of along the lines of the bell curve theory there, but easier to understand. Remember when Desmond said they were in a snow globe?? Just picture a dome over the island as oppossed to walls of a cylinder that surround it. The chopper was closer to the island that Jin, but because it was higher in elevation it was out side of the dome, so that's why it wouldn't have been in the radius.

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 12:53:51 PM »
Well, sort of along the lines of the bell curve theory there, but easier to understand. Remember when Desmond said they were in a snow globe?? Just picture a dome over the island as oppossed to walls of a cylinder that surround it. The chopper was closer to the island that Jin, but because it was higher in elevation it was out side of the dome, so that's why it wouldn't have been in the radius.

I agree with this....the temporal field of the island is dome shaped and anything within the circumference of the dome was taken. The chopper may have been just outside the curvature of the field.

Offline sillysab

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 02:26:48 PM »
how far away was Jin from the boat... that disappears first (Sawyer and Juliet no longer see it)... I was really baffled by this fact as we clearly see Jin on the boat when it explodes. and, how long has he been floating in the water? Sheesh!

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 02:35:03 PM »
how far away was Jin from the boat... that disappears first (Sawyer and Juliet no longer see it)... I was really baffled by this fact as we clearly see Jin on the boat when it explodes. and, how long has he been floating in the water? Sheesh!

We don't clearly see Jin on the boat when it explodes. We don't clearly see anyone on the boat before it explodes, actually.

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 02:40:32 PM »
I was also thinking that the radius is two dimensional.  It goes out but not up, which is why the helicopter did not go with the island but Jin did.

Jin must be a super fast swimmer or maybe the freighter was right on the borderline of the radius with Jin on one side and the freighter on the other.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 02:54:06 PM »
I was also thinking that the radius is two dimensional.  It goes out but not up, which is why the helicopter did not go with the island but Jin did.

Jin must be a super fast swimmer or maybe the freighter was right on the borderline of the radius with Jin on one side and the freighter on the other.
Or maybe there was nobody on the freighter at the time the island moved, so there was no physical connection to it that would allow it to time jump as well.