Author Topic: Miles has been on the island before  (Read 7038 times)

Offline Skix34

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: Miles has been on the island before
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 11:58:34 PM »
Maybe Jacob told Ben to take Alex?? But then again if she was soo significant why did Ben let Keamy shoot her? Just a thought.

Offline tonysee200x

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 12:24:55 AM »
How many years has Juliet been there?
It was 3 years.

So based on what we saw tonight, I think we can say....of the people doing the flashes on the island

Charlotte was on the island the longest and it was longer then 3 years
Miles was on the second longest. Longer then 3 years but less the Charlotte
Juliet was on the island for 3 years - and that is longer then Danial or anyone else who we see "flashing"

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 12:28:55 AM »
maybe.  But we do not know exactly how the radiation can make things worse.  Maybe back in the day that Charlotte and Miles were on the island the radiation was stronger than it is when Julliete spends her time on the island.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 02:24:01 AM »
So more time on the island correlates to more radiation, and a greater propensity for nosebleeds/getting stuck in time, and eventually, death.  However, those on the island when the flash first occurred, who were clearly immune, were the Others.  Either some protection provided by the island upon passing a rite of passage, ala killing your own father, or being born on the island (which came to an end with the sickness), prevents you from getting unstuck in time. 

That would explain Juliet's nosebleed/shifting, as she only arrived 3 yrs ago, and even if she passes any rituals to become an Other, she then got branded with that eight spoked star tattoo (ala the donkey wheel Ben turned), so she was essentially severed from the Borg collective, so to speak, and left untethered in time.

But to explain, say, Miles, who may have been born to Candlewick and later left the island, would suggest that being born on the island isn't what provides protection from nosebleeds/shifting.  Remember that Richard Alpert has left the island before, too, but no nosebleed/shifting for him.  When the first flash occurred, John shifted, but Richard, along with the rest of the Others camp, did not.  Obviously John was chosen to be a leader of the Others, but was not given protection from time shifting. Curious.

So, it would seem the only remaining source of protection would be becoming an Other.  A true Other.  Which begs the question: what of Cindy and the children abducted from the Losties?  They can't have all killed their fathers.  So, was merely being on "The List" sufficient to gain Otherness?  I don't recall John being on "The List".  Perhaps all that confusion about picking the knife as a child kept him off "The List". 

An explanation appears to be getting rather complex...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 02:36:04 AM by Lion of Atreides »

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Charllote and Miles have been there longer
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 03:42:16 AM »
When Ben said to Kate that Aaron is not her son, I wanted to jump in his face and yell "Well, Alex wasn't exactly your kid either but that didn't stop you from keeping her did it?"

Really?  I practically shouted "Finally someone had the guts to get in her face about it!"  Kate's constant...my-son-this....my-son-that...had seriously been getting on my last nerve.  I get her saying it as a front in public---but honestly...to be saying it to Jack, Ben, and everyone else who obviously knows...has she had a recent head injury or is she just being arrogant?

Offline NorthShoreOGLost

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 03:56:41 AM »
The idea about correlation between time on the island and the nosebleeds/headaches is interesting, but unless we get more information in the future, the theory does have at least one hole in it.  What about Minkowski on the freighter (and I think the person that was with him in the raft)?  Doesn't seem like he had very much, if any, time on the island and yet he croaked rather quickly.  Personally, I'm of the opinion that we are led to believe that Daniel appears to know much more than he actually does. 

Just watched 'Cabin Fever' yesterday, and Locke's dream with Horace in it, whose nose was bleeding, was interesting.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 08:04:04 AM »
A true Other.  Which begs the question: what of Cindy and the children abducted from the Losties?

I don't recall John being on "The List". 

Well, Cindy could actually be an original Other.  Before this season, I never thought it was possible for it to be arranged for people to be on Flight 815 knowing it would crash.  Now, though, with the time-jumping, our time-jumpers could have told enough of their story to some past Others for them to know exactly when and where it would happen and pre-arrange who got on that flight.  (Aren't people saying that the Oceanic airline counter person is the same actress as the clerk who told Desmond there Daniel Faraday wasn't' in her system?  She could be a part of this Other global conspiracy.)  They could have pre-arranged for Cindy to go off-island and then be put on the plane as a flight attendant.  I still go back to Cindy telling John, "We've been waiting for you."

As far as John being on "The List": When Ben first shows up pretending to be Henry Gale, he finally tells Locke the reason he came there in the first place was that he came for John, right?

Offline on the island

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 10:26:49 AM »
Cindy's story doesn't add up.

If she is an Other, and went back in time to be on the flight, then the crash wouldn't have been a surprise to Ben, Ethan etc. 
If she is not an Other, why did she say to John "we've been waiting a long time for you" when he first joins their camp.

Personally, I think the Others immnunity to time skipping is from their visit to the Temple. 

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 10:43:07 AM »
When Ben said to Kate that Aaron is not her son, I wanted to jump in his face and yell "Well, Alex wasn't exactly your kid either but that didn't stop you from keeping her did it?"

Really?  I practically shouted "Finally someone had the guts to get in her face about it!"  Kate's constant...my-son-this....my-son-that...had seriously been getting on my last nerve.  I get her saying it as a front in public---but honestly...to be saying it to Jack, Ben, and everyone else who obviously knows...has she had a recent head injury or is she just being arrogant?

You're right. Two wrongs don't make a right, but two rights do make a left turn. Or something.
EDIT - Yeah I'm dumb. Two right's make a U-turn! ha.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 11:36:55 AM by zeekloveslost »

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 10:53:29 AM »

You're right. Two wrongs don't make a right, but two rights do make a left turn. Or something.

That's 3 rights makes a left. ;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 10:55:50 AM by Writers_Strike »

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2009, 11:25:53 AM »
So more time on the island correlates to more radiation, and a greater propensity for nosebleeds/getting stuck in time, and eventually, death.  However, those on the island when the flash first occurred, who were clearly immune, were the Others.  Either some protection provided by the island upon passing a rite of passage, ala killing your own father, or being born on the island (which came to an end with the sickness), prevents you from getting unstuck in time.

The others just stayed in their timeline, like the people in 1954 did and Claire giving birth did, and Desmond in the Swan did.
I don't know if the others are immune for the siteeffects of timetravel, maybe they never did.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2009, 11:30:04 AM »
maybe.  But we do not know exactly how the radiation can make things worse.  Maybe back in the day that Charlotte and Miles were on the island the radiation was stronger than it is when Julliete spends her time on the island.

The guy that drilled in the wall where the wheel was, when building the orchid,
got a lot of released energy, his nose started bleeding immediatly.

Offline Mrs Hume

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Charllote and Miles have been there longer
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2009, 09:57:48 PM »
I remember something last season about Daniel saying that Char had been there before...and she knew it. I can't remember what it was exactly that was said but she knows she has been to the island before. There is more to her than we know at this point.

Oh and Miles is totally that dude's baby...Sorry I am so bad with the names. The guy in the video.

Wait, wasn't that miles who made a comment about her being there once before? I know this is going to bother me! off to lostpedia!.......

Offline Mrs Hume

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2009, 10:06:24 PM »
I found it pretty quick thank goodness! this is from lostpedia,

When Faraday started ferrying people off of the Island in the Zodiac raft, Miles stated that he intended to stay on the Island, despite Faraday's warnings. He showed surprise that Charlotte was considering leaving, and then he surprised Charlotte in turn by suggesting that he knew Charlotte had been on the Island before. ("There's No Place Like Home, Parts 2 & 3")

And the first time i saw this I thought the reason he was saying that might have had something to do with his gift but now I'm thinking either he knows her from the island or thinks he knows her from childhood on the island but isn't sure. or something like that. So between that and what Dan said about the accumulation of time spent on the island and what miles said and what we have seen and surmised,  now I really believe they are both from the island.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2009, 10:16:13 PM »
Charlotte was surprised when Miles insinuated that she'd been on the island before, but Miles seemed just as surprised when Daniel said a similar thing to him. Mediums say they can know about everyone else's future but their own; maybe Miles knows about everyone's past but his own.