Author Topic: Random thoughts/points 503  (Read 834 times)

Offline Epic720

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Random thoughts/points 503
« on: January 31, 2009, 05:06:01 AM »
Ok, so my wife and I constantly go on all night rants and raves about our thoughts and ideas about episodes we watch of LOST. In this new season we are forced to get our ideas involved and out there because we are just too into the story. So these might be a little confusing and random and not in sequence at all and I apologize for that, but i'm just trying to get it all out there:

Season 5 Episode 3

Daniel pieces together the burnt hands with radiation when Miles tells him that one of the 4 American soldiers died of radiation poisoning.

Juliet seems very calm and comfortable with what is going on. Also, she seems to know more than she lets on. She cuts off john in the scene with young Widmore, John, Sawyer, and "Cunningham", just when John is about to tell Sawyer that it was Ethan who shot him. Interesting that she would cut him off... Does Juliet know about Richard's past?

Also, in that same scene how often are there filming errors in the show? Because I noticed in this scene that Widmore was on the left for most of it. Then as we watch Sawyer talk on two separate cuts Widmore changes to the right of Sawyer, then back after sawyers talking. Mistake?

Are Daniel and Richard related? I think we read somewhere of speculations that Daniel was possibly Richards son. With this idea in mind, watching over the first time Richard meets Daniel in this episode I noted this in their dialogue:

Richard: What's your name?
Daniel:   What's your name?

And it's the way Daniel says it, almost to the effect that both statements are equal. That Daniels name - or last name - is the same as Richards name because they might be father and son. And he gives him a look like "Of course, I know"

Names How are these related? Hawkings, Widmore, Faraday, Alpert.

While typing in my google search bar I started with Faraday and the suggested 10 searches came up with:

The Faraday Effect = http://science.jrank.org/pages/2661/Faraday-Effect.html
Faraday's Law = http://www.mwit.ac.th/~Physicslab/hbase/electric/farlaw.html
Micheal Faraday = http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/biography/Faraday.html

And wow, it continues with Hawking:

Stephen Hawking = http://www.hawking.org.uk/
Hawking Radiation = http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/hawk.html

Alpert came up with nothing important.
And everything widmore has directly to do with LOST.

My wife was trying some scrambling algorithms against the names and came up with:
Ra di a t i on - Must have all four names to come up with this word. It was the first word that stood out to her.

Faraday -  Far
Alpert -     Leap
Widmore -  Wide

And then I had to stop us after we cam up with Alpert = Pearl and Hawkings = Swan. Because I realized we were far out of scope.

Back on track

Daniel: "We just need to keep it together until there's another flash, alright, then all of this disappears"
Miles: "When's that gonna happen?"
Daniel: "Could be five minutes, Could also be 5000 years"

Is this what is going on with Richard? Is he permanently unstuck in time? Never aging and waiting for his next flash? Is this why he is always so seemingly apathetic to events going on around him. It seems to me that Richard has always had an apathetic mindset, like: "I'll do something if I feel like it, but it doesn't matter to me that much. I'm just trying to stay alive, along for the ride, waiting for my next flash."

It's interesting that Daniel specifically says it's a Hydrogen bomb.

Both Daniels eyes and Richards eyes are Carmel Hazel Brown.

Charles says: "You think he can track me, you think he knows this island better than I do?"

Daniel: "50 years from now me and my - me and my friends - that's where we're from." Making the date at that flash 1954?

Widmore has a painting of a Polar bear in his office that says 'Namaste' across the top.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts/points 503
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 11:58:28 AM »
Welcome, Epic.  You and your wife are picking up on a lot of really cool and interesting things that are being discussed around the Sledgeweb site!  For example, there's a thread on this episode that talks about the polar bear / Namaste painting.

For what it's worth, I think it's a possibility that Richard Alpert is Daniel's father.  Although it's kind of hard to imagine someone as mysterious as Richard doing something as "normal" as fathering a child  ::)  I have wondered about the similarities in their coloring, and now that it appears that Eloise Hawking was on-island as a sweet young thing, hanging out with Richard.  Interesting point about "What's your name?" and "What's your name?"  I don't know what I think about that but it's worth pondering.

I also wouldn't trust Juliet as far as I could throw a grand piano.  She is very good at batting her eyes and looking innocent, while who knows what's going on in that brain of hers?

Offline Epic720

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 02:36:21 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and the input! We are very much looking forward to seeing how these things progress!

..... And we don't trust Juliet either  ;)

Offline hatch4815162342

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 02:43:28 PM »
random.....i think the blonde british girl is that lady who was in charge of branding Juliet, and the one who questioned jack about what happened.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 02:52:45 PM »
It seems to me that Richard has always had an apathetic mindset, like: "I'll do something if I feel like it, but it doesn't matter to me that much.

His much-discussed apathy towards Ben's leadership might stem from the fact that he knew Locke would succeed Ben. He may have just seen Ben as a caretaker until the person he believed to be the real leader took the mantle. It would explain a lot of Richard's "frostiness" towards Ben and his ideas.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 03:37:34 PM »
It seems to me that Richard has always had an apathetic mindset, like: "I'll do something if I feel like it, but it doesn't matter to me that much.

His much-discussed apathy towards Ben's leadership might stem from the fact that he knew Locke would succeed Ben. He may have just seen Ben as a caretaker until the person he believed to be the real leader took the mantle. It would explain a lot of Richard's "frostiness" towards Ben and his ideas.

Yes.  It most certainly would.  And it would explain the hushed awe that fell over the Others when Locke appeared.  Richard's "We've been waiting for you" sounded like so much melodrama.  It was a revelation.

Offline juliaonthemoon

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 07:24:45 PM »

Widmore has a painting of a Polar bear in his office that says 'Namaste' across the top.

i think that NAMASTE painting is Thomas' painting. others of his paintings come up in Widmores office in earlier episodes. for all those who don't remember Thomas, he's Claire's ex-boyfriend/Aaron's dad. maybe Thomas is Widmore's son? maybe that's why Kate is being questioned about her relationship to Aaron?

Just a thought.