Author Topic: Here's why Desmond is different than the rest...  (Read 6432 times)

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Here's why Desmond is different than the rest...
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 08:56:24 AM »
I'd say the most important criteria for one's constant is that they be present in the multiple time period through which one is tripping.   Fellow trippers who travel with the subject don't count...they have to be in the past already.

Offline Wishbone

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 10:58:32 AM »
I'm confused about the constant thing - is Desmond Daniel's constant or the other way round - or both ways?

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 02:46:58 PM »
I'm confused about the constant thing - is Desmond Daniel's constant or the other way round - or both ways?

Penny is Desmond's Constant and Desmond is Daniel's Constant.

It appears to be someone whom can anchor you in time by literally being constant; in your past, future and the present (to break the time-tripping illness). So although Penny was in Desmond's past and future, she wasn't in his present until he spoke with her on the Kahana.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 03:07:33 PM »
And that's why Theresa is like that.
In the past she is with her dad, but she cannot contact him in the present,
because he died 5 years ago.

Offline Wishbone

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 04:00:52 PM »

Penny is Desmond's Constant and Desmond is Daniel's Constant.

It appears to be someone whom can anchor you in time by literally being constant; in your past, future and the present (to break the time-tripping illness). So although Penny was in Desmond's past and future, she wasn't in his present until he spoke with her on the Kahana.

Thanks

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 04:10:10 PM »

That's genius.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 04:41:34 PM »
The reason that Desmond is special is because of him turning the failsafe key. And the significance of that was that it sent him back in time PHYSICALLY. He wasn't having flashes back and forth to the present when he was told about the Course correction rule, because he wasn't in the future to have a flash. He was physically sent back, his entire memory of the future intact, then sent back into the future to the moment after he turned the failsafe. This is why certain things were boggling his mind. Like When he saw Charlie on the street and he knew that he knew him.

Also, something I think some of us are forgetting about the Constant rule. Dan said it has to be something that you care tremendously about, then he clarified for Desmond that the constant could be a person. So just because Penny was Desmond's Constant, and Desmond is Daniel's Constant, that doesn't mean it has to be a person. My constant (for example) would probably be my dog.

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 06:11:50 PM »
You have very good posts! How do you have such a clarity about all this?!lol

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 06:59:37 PM »
The reason that Desmond is special is because of him turning the failsafe key. And the significance of that was that it sent him back in time PHYSICALLY. He wasn't having flashes back and forth to the present when he was told about the Course correction rule, because he wasn't in the future to have a flash. He was physically sent back, his entire memory of the future intact, then sent back into the future to the moment after he turned the failsafe. This is why certain things were boggling his mind. Like When he saw Charlie on the street and he knew that he knew him.

Also, something I think some of us are forgetting about the Constant rule. Dan said it has to be something that you care tremendously about, then he clarified for Desmond that the constant could be a person. So just because Penny was Desmond's Constant, and Desmond is Daniel's Constant, that doesn't mean it has to be a person. My constant (for example) would probably be my dog.

and Desmond can be Dans because (OK, now stay with me on this , it gets complicated) he knew him in the past and present and future? or because he cares about the time travel so much and Desmond was the first one to come to him in the past (des's future) and tell him that time travel exists because future Daniel sent him?

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 07:11:15 PM »
and Desmond can be Dans because (OK, now stay with me on this , it gets complicated) he knew him in the past and present and future? or because he cares about the time travel so much and Desmond was the first one to come to him in the past (des's future) and tell him that time travel exists because future Daniel sent him?

Maybe in the future, Desmond grows to care for him after it's revealed that they're family.  ??? It's not just lovers or pets you care for, but family too.

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2009, 07:13:34 PM »
yeah but I think, what little I DO know about constants is that you have to have that feeling for the person now when they need it, in order for them to be your constant now.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2009, 07:17:19 PM »
yeah but I think, what little I DO know about constants is that you have to have that feeling for the person now when they need it, in order for them to be your constant now.

I don't know.  ??? It doesn't help that we still know so little about Daniel (or Miles and Charlotte) for that matter.

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 03:15:00 AM »

I don't know.  ??? It doesn't help that we still know so little about Daniel (or Miles and Charlotte) for that matter.

yeah, there is a LOT we still don't know a lot about and there isn't that much more time before they have to wrap this whole thing called lost ,up. It worries me that they are not going to do a good job at it.  Do we have more questions than they have time to answer!?  >:(   ;)

Offline Walkabout V.2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2009, 09:47:22 AM »
Maybe this is why Dan professed his love for Charlotte at what seems the strangest of moments. Dan sees her with a nose bleed on the beach and begins to install himself as her constant. They have a "pre-island" past although not a strong one, a present and though not safe to presume but a future friendship/relationship. This meets his criteria for the role as someone's constant. Or not.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2009, 12:30:56 PM »

Dan always struck me as one of those guys that values knowledge over everything else, so yeah, I totally see what you're saying there. Not that I'm the be-all and end-all of "Constant Knowledge". I was just stating my opinion. Sorry to all if it seemed like I was laying down the law, had a rough day yesterday, and must have teken it out here.

yeah, there is a LOT we still don't know a lot about and there isn't that much more time before they have to wrap this whole thing called lost ,up. It worries me that they are not going to do a good job at it.  Do we have more questions than they have time to answer!?  >:(   ;)

My friend was saying the same thing, and I told her what I'll tell you...Relax. It's only the third episode of the season. If they go too much longer and don't hand out anymore info, then I will be right there along side you to rally the charge. Just give it some time.