Author Topic: Seeing As Locke Had To CONVINCE Richard That He Was From The Future...  (Read 5201 times)

Offline Mrs Hume

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Seeing As Locke Had To CONVINCE Richard That He Was From The Future...
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 06:57:19 PM »
My take on this was that moving the island was "a measure of last resort" and that the mere fact that Locke had come back in time meant that the future held dire circumstances for the island. Also, Richard's reaction during the selection of items "test" when Locke picks the knife perhaps signals to Richard that there is conflict in the future.

Were you the one who first said that ? because I thought that was a great idea when i first heard that. but then why does Richard say to lockes Mom, I'm sorry I wasted your time? it's a good idea but I don't know if it fits.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 07:16:48 PM »
Were you the one who first said that ? because I thought that was a great idea when i first heard that. but then why does Richard say to lockes Mom, I'm sorry I wasted your time? it's a good idea but I don't know if it fits.

Perhaps Richard isn't as all-knowing as we first thought and he simply assumed that he'd been observing and tracking the wrong John Locke.  ??? Maybe other John Lockes were visited after their birth; again in their childhood and later invited to Alpert's Summer Camp in their teens?

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 07:41:35 PM »
yup OK I can see that . Oh but wait,  but other john Locke's from the same hospital on the same day?
 Sorry, i can't help it. I just can't help it. ahhhh I don't know if it has to do with me being a Gemini or not but i always see things 2 ways  ::). always. it drives me crazy and I'm sure others as well.  :-[
so I always tend to play the devils advocate.  :-\ even if I agree! lol

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 07:56:25 PM »
ahhhh I don't know if it has to do with me being a Gemini or not but i always see things 2 ways  ::). always. it drives me crazy and I'm sure others as well.  :-[

Hey! I don't necessarily agree with everything I post myself!  :) I just figure that sooner or later, I'll be right about something. lol

Offline gjohnson

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 08:02:22 PM »
ahhhh I don't know if it has to do with me being a Gemini or not but i always see things 2 ways  ::). always. it drives me crazy and I'm sure others as well.  :-[

Hey! I don't necessarily agree with everything I post myself!  :) I just figure that sooner or later, I'll be right about something. lol
I wouldn't put money on all the things I post either... Just throwin' it out there and seein' what sticks!

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 08:06:05 PM »
good. Thanks guys.  :)  I just don't want to be known as the girl who shoots everyones ideas down. It's just me looking at everything from 2 sides.
 Guess we are all in the same boat on here. One big happy family! lol  ;D

Offline Mommainternet

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 09:13:32 AM »

I doubt that very few people were actually born on the Island. All of the Others, bar the unseen Jacob, seem to be recruits.

Ben passed comment to Locke that the Others routinely steal babies because they can't reproduce.

Where are all the children?  The children that were taken.  What ever happened to them?

Offline gjohnson

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 11:00:17 AM »
I'm guessing they're being kept safe in the temple.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 01:05:14 PM »

I doubt that very few people were actually born on the Island. All of the Others, bar the unseen Jacob, seem to be recruits.

Ben passed comment to Locke that the Others routinely steal babies because they can't reproduce.

Where are all the children?  The children that were taken.  What ever happened to them?
We have seen them when Locke was with the others. When they wanted Locke to kill his dad.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 02:33:16 PM »

Perhaps Ben was being a little too melodramatic when talking about taking children...

BEN: Hello John. Thanks for coming.

LOCKE: [Looks at the tape] What's that?

BEN: Juliet is gathering information for us at your former camp. She's determining if any of the women are pregnant. Then we're gonna go in and, take them.

LOCKE: Take them?

BEN: This is not the first time we've done this, John. Trust me, no-one will get hurt.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Brig_transcript

I doubt it was that common an occurrence seeing as nobody besides Rousseau's group, Henry Gale, Desmond, Yemi's plane and the passengers of Flight 815 appear to have landed on the Island since the purge.

But yeah, there were some teens and pre-teens in the Others camp. We never did figure out where Karl came from.

Offline Still_lost06

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2009, 02:46:24 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone else already mentioned this ( concerning Richard getting off the island to see Locke as a baby) but I bet that the US military left their method of transportation behind. We know that the sub was originally used by the Dharma Initiative, but who knows where the boat that Michael used to get off the island came from.

Concerning the main topic: We know now that Richard himself isn't moving through time but that he is old.
"How old is he anyway?"
"Old."
And he isn't 'all-knowing' or anything. Maybe he didn't know about the island's time properties yet because Jacob hadn't told him yet. Remember, when he cleans Locke's gun shot wound from Ethan, he seems to know about the situation at hand (and that Ethan shot him). Just my 2 cents.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2009, 03:34:29 PM »
I doubt it was that common an occurrence seeing as nobody besides Rousseau's group, Henry Gale, Desmond, Yemi's plane and the passengers of Flight 815 appear to have landed on the Island since the purge.

But yeah, there were some teens and pre-teens in the Others camp. We never did figure out where Karl came from.

There are still a lot of untold stories, I believe.  I'm guessing there were other people that the island brought to it that we just haven't heard about yet.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2009, 03:51:20 PM »
There are still a lot of untold stories, I believe.

When Richard described Ben's obsession with being able to reproduce on the Island as "wasting our time with novelties like fertility problems" he probably had a point. In later episodes it was revealed that some Others can come and go as they please, so why not just make babies off-Island?

I still think that Jack's wife Sarah was an off-Island Other whom had come to the outside world, purely to get pregnant and give birth. How did Juliet know her for a start? Juliet of all people - whom just happens to be a fertility expert.

And what about Sarah's ex-fiance, Kevin? Sarah's nearly lost her life and all he can think about is ****ing her!!!

[FLASHBACK to Jack and Sarah's fiance, Kevin, in Jack's office.]

JACK: Your fiance was seriously injured. It could take as long as 10, maybe 12 hours. I won't know how extensive the damage is until I get inside.

KEVIN: She was going for a dress fitting and to look at tablecloths.

JACK: When is it -- the wedding?

KEVIN: It's 8 months.

JACK: Well, I'm sure Sarah will have recovered by then.

KEVIN: Um, what does that mean?

JACK: There will be ongoing physical therapy, but if she works really hard...

KEVIN: Well, well, will we be able to, you know, make love?

JACK: You need to know that there's a chance Sarah may very well need professional care for the rest of her life.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Man_of_Science%2C_Man_of_Faith_transcript

Not only is that an incredibly insensitive question, but he walked out of her life soon after the conversation!

He was probably an off-Island Other too! Very odd behaviour indeed.

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, 06:10:28 PM »

When Richard described Ben's obsession with being able to reproduce on the Island as "wasting our time with novelties like fertility problems" he probably had a point. In later episodes it was revealed that some Others can come and go as they please, so why not just make babies off-Island?

Yeah, I thought this quote of Richard's was very strange, too. How can fertility problems be a waste of time? When I first heard it I thought, "oh, so, not having babies on the island at all is the normal thing?" Don't they want to propagate the species?

But one of the reasons for having children is to pass on traditions, and to overcome death. Children are often seen as a path to immortality, keeping your DNA alive and all. But if Richard (and other Others) are immortal, they would see fertility as a waste of time. Since Ben is mortal (and also power-hungry and just a tad selfish), he wants to be able to ensure that his lifestyle and mindset is preserved.

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2009, 07:11:41 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone else already mentioned this ( concerning Richard getting off the island to see Locke as a baby) but I bet that the US military left their method of transportation behind. We know that the sub was originally used by the Dharma Initiative, but who knows where the boat that Michael used to get off the island came from.

Concerning the main topic: We know now that Richard himself isn't moving through time but that he is old.
"How old is he anyway?"
"Old."
And he isn't 'all-knowing' or anything. Maybe he didn't know about the island's time properties yet because Jacob hadn't told him yet. Remember, when he cleans Locke's gun shot wound from Ethan, he seems to know about the situation at hand (and that Ethan shot him). Just my 2 cents.

the sub could be how they go through time. and that is why they had to knock Juliet out while traveling there. or the sub is a sub and they just did that because of the effect of going through the bubble (which I also believe is going to a different time dimension ) I just confused myself.  :-\