Author Topic: Seeing As Locke Had To CONVINCE Richard That He Was From The Future...  (Read 3679 times)

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Seeing as Locke had to convince Richard that he was from the future, raises an interesting question...

It would appear that Richard-in-the-past and the 1950s Others were unaware of the Island's time-distorting properties.

Which begs the question, why else are they there?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 08:42:50 PM by MangoBingo »

Offline solost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Seeing As Locke Had To CONVINCE Richard That He Was From The Future...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 05:37:09 PM »
Seeing as Locke had to convnice Richard that he was from the future, raises an interesting question...

It would appear that Richard-in-the-past and the 1950s Others were unaware of the Island's time-distorting properties.

I thought the same thing. It must be for the warm weather and beautifully view...LOL

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 05:55:44 PM »
Seeing as Locke had to convnice Richard that he was from the future, raises an interesting question...

Well, I was assuming that they Others were there because they were born there. Guys like Widmore and Ellie were there for other reasons, but nothing to do with time travel.

My question would be how did Richard get to the hospital to witness Locke's birth? I assumed before it was due to some "portal" that allowed travel to and from the island. But if Richard has no clue about time travel in 1954, then he has no clue about portals in 1954, either. I'm guessing his travel was by the good ol' sub back then as well...

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 05:57:24 PM »
it doesn't seem to be too difficult to get to the island at this time... perhaps it doesn't have a protective shell hiding it.. considering armies made it to the island... so perhaps then he just took a sub and went?

just a guess though

Offline TheBrightandTheDark

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 06:11:25 PM »

Well, when Richard talks to Locke in "The Brig," he said something about Locke helping them get back to what's really important, or the real work on the island, or something. But, as usual, he was completely vague about the whole thing.

Locke convincing Richard about time travel would also mean that 1954 is the earliest year that Richard and John meet as adults, I think.

Ben said that moving the island was "dangerous and unpredictable." Maybe if the donkey wheel hadn't been turned before, the Others wouldn't know that that meant "unglued from and bouncing around in time."

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 06:19:09 PM »

Well, when Richard talks to Locke in "The Brig," he said something about Locke helping them get back to what's really important, or the real work on the island, or something. But, as usual, he was completely vague about the whole thing.

Thank God for Lostpedia!

RICHARD: He wanted to embarrass you.

LOCKE: I'm sorry?

RICHARD: Ben knew you weren't gonna kill your own father. He put you in front of everyone in our camp just so they could all watch ya fail.

LOCKE: Why?

RICHARD: Cause when word got back here that there was a man with a broken spine on the plane who could suddenly walk again, well, people here began to get very excited because that, that could only happen to someone who was extremely special. But Ben doesn't want anyone to think you're special, John.

LOCKE: And why are you telling me this?

RICHARD: Ben has been wasting our time with novelties like fertility problems. We're looking for someone to remind us that we're here for more important reasons.

LOCKE: What do you want from me?

RICHARD: I want for you to find your purpose. And to do that, your father has to go, John. And since you're not gonna do it, I'm gonna suggest someone else.

What are they there for?  ???

Offline patrixmith

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 08:22:25 PM »
Thanks for posting that convo between Richard and Locke. I totally forgot about that. I love it!

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 08:48:18 PM »
Well, I was assuming that they Others were there because they were born there. Guys like Widmore and Ellie were there for other reasons, but nothing to do with time travel.

I doubt that very few people were actually born on the Island. All of the Others, bar the unseen Jacob, seem to be recruits.

Ben passed comment to Locke that the Others routinely steal babies because they can't reproduce.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 11:42:33 PM »
We do not know if Richard was really not believing the story of time travel or was he hiding what he knew.

Offline Lottery Ticket

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 11:59:06 PM »
So in order for Jack to find his purpose his father had to go.
In order for Kate to find her purpose her father had to go
In order for Locke - we know how that ended
Sawyer's father is killed by Sawyer (or whatever his name is)
Desmond - ? no clue
Penny - please.
Ben's father gased in the truck
Alvar kills Magnus?
Christian killed his father?

Ok, some of that starts a pattern of behavior I would watch for.  You can't reach full enlightenment unless you kill your father? Very Shakespearean.

Is there a lost fan keeping an all character 'family tree' at a separate link?

Offline LostinAlaska

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 12:51:20 AM »
Seeing as Locke had to convince Richard that he was from the future, raises an interesting question...

I am not sure how this fits in, but so far I feel like Richard seems genuine? Like whatever he's studying, doing, or trying to accomplish is something he wants to figure out (rather then for money or power). I really honest to God thought we'd meet young Danielle Rousseau. As for the intentions of the whole Alpert crew I can only guess by their actions and vibes. They're paranoid. They speak Latin. They might've been the ones to kill the 4 Americans. Their all younger. Maybe they are protecting or studying something else? Like a fountain of youth? (assuming they really don't know about the time traveling) Maybe Richard from the future told Locke to convince him about time travel n such b/c it would work for Richard's best interests. Since Locke is a sheeple he went ahead and did it, thus changing Richard's whole future and outcome of island knowledge and somehow having Richard coming out on top??? IDK!? But it'd be kinda neat to see Richard and Abaddon having a conversation.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 03:38:59 AM »
We do not know if Richard was really not believing the story of time travel or was he hiding what he knew.

When he told Locke to make sure to give him the compass the next time they meet because he wouldn't know who he was, that more or less made me feel that Richard was unaware of time travel in 1954. Or else why give Locke the compass?

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 04:41:58 AM »
But 1st Richard attended to Locke's gunshot wound. Locke asked how Richard knew that he had been shot. Richard says that Locke told him. Locke looks surprised because he hadn't at that point in time, and Richard says something to the affect of...'well, you will." Richard brings it up 1st! Locke must eventually tell richard that Ethan shot him, after Ethan was "dead." Locke must explain the time travel thing to Richard. But! Richard must explain some stuff about the Island to Locke...and ME!

Offline Mrs Hume

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 06:25:33 PM »
yes, Richard said " well, you will "to john ( meaning john will tell Richard that Ethan shot him. and he did.) because when Richard helped Locke with his wound I think that is was a few yrs after the time flight 815 crashed, so they knew eachother and Richard knew the wheel was already turned and john was jumping time. and that the island situation wasn't fixed.  so i take it that Richard's whole sentence would be ..." Well, you will , tell me to come fix your leg when the beachcraft crashes in the jungle next time you time jump . and it will be 1954 so i wont know you" and that is exactly what john did. he told Richard everything when he gave him the compass in 1954.

Offline gjohnson

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 06:38:19 PM »
My take on this was that moving the island was "a measure of last resort" and that the mere fact that Locke had come back in time meant that the future held dire circumstances for the island. Also, Richard's reaction during the selection of items "test" when Locke picks the knife perhaps signals to Richard that there is conflict in the future.