Author Topic: English Accents?  (Read 4998 times)

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
English Accents?
« on: January 29, 2009, 08:21:27 PM »
Why do all the 1950s era Others (bar Richard) have English accents, whereas their 1990s counterparts have predominantly American accents?  ???

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: English Accents?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 12:47:39 AM »
Plus, Charlotte and Daniel are both English, right?

I'm leaning towards Charlotte and Daniel being siblings and she knows it but he doesn't.  It looks like she bristled when he said he meant it about being in love with her.  Plus, Miles (who knows people's true identities?) gave a weird look about Daniel's feelings as well.

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 02:03:51 AM »
I hate it when actors have a British accent, just to emphasize the fact that they're not American. I get it! If he's from France then why do they use British accents? ARG! It's just to distinguish origination, I think. Concerning LOST, I actually think they try to stay true to characters and background. I don't think they intentionally screw with accents. Look at the casting. They just cast a British person to play a British part. It makes sense. However, Danielle was Serbian not french, I think?

Don't think Char & Dan are siblings! Think Dan is in love with her. Makes the story more interesting, and Char is using him because of it. She'll still die. I don't think people really like her.:( Too bad! Her storyline is WEAK, but her character has definite potential. She is an anthropologist, or whatever. They could def. run with that...

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 03:35:31 AM »
I like Charlotte.  Schools in foreign countries often teach Oxford English instead of American English.  Maybe that's why the foreigners have British accents.  I had a friend from Germany.  She learned Oxford English.  It was funny to listen to her talk.  Then she worked hard to learn an American accent.  After a while she sounded like an American.  It cracks me up to hear Naveen Andrews talk in his authentic voice.  Same with Mr. Eko.  As for Danielle, we don't really know that she's French.  We just assume.  She could be from anywhere. 

Offline daisy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 06:32:04 AM »
Nothing wrong with English accents!! Incidentally, there is no such thing as a British accent.
Looks to me like Charlotte is three people: Ms SnootyBrit and Ms Hawking.
I could be wrong - I usually am!

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 08:01:57 AM »
I hope I remember everything... ok, here goes:

a) I think, Daisy, that you must have read my article because you referenced SnootyBrit. So, thanks! But now I'm thinking I shouldnt have used that word... did I cross a line there and insult my friends from Great Britain? I also generalized about the British accent but I can't tell the difference... I have an Irish friend who had to correct me about a mom in my kids school when I thought that mum was Irish. She was English... but I digress... Anyway, I apologize if I was over the line there.
b) I like Charlotte too
c) I don't think Dan and Charlotte are siblings either, thats just too weird a direction for a TV show to go.
d) I don't think she was disgusted, I think she looked a little flushed and happy when he said he loved her. Miles is just cantankerous.
e) Charlotte is English, but even tho his mother is, Daniel sounds like he was raised in America.
f) I have no opinion on the original question; I'm sure they'll explain that at some point. These people had to come from somewhere... If they were really "indigenous"  they would resemble Miles more than Widmore.

Offline lostieloo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 11:11:24 AM »
However, Danielle was Serbian not french, I think?
Danielle, the character, has always been French.  The woman that recorded the transmission is not the same actress who plays the actual character.  The recording was made before they cast Mira Furlan (Croatian) as Danielle.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 09:56:11 PM »
I hope I remember everything... ok, here goes:

a) I think, Daisy, that you must have read my article because you referenced SnootyBrit. So, thanks! But now I'm thinking I shouldnt have used that word... did I cross a line there and insult my friends from Great Britain? I also generalized about the British accent but I can't tell the difference... I have an Irish friend who had to correct me about a mom in my kids school when I thought that mum was Irish. She was English... but I digress... Anyway, I apologize if I was over the line there.
b) I like Charlotte too
c) I don't think Dan and Charlotte are siblings either, thats just too weird a direction for a TV show to go.
d) I don't think she was disgusted, I think she looked a little flushed and happy when he said he loved her. Miles is just cantankerous.
e) Charlotte is English, but even tho his mother is, Daniel sounds like he was raised in America.
f) I have no opinion on the original question; I'm sure they'll explain that at some point. These people had to come from somewhere... If they were really "indigenous"  they would resemble Miles more than Widmore.
Ya know I was agreeing with you at first, with the last f), but then I thought, this would be true, except this is Lost island, and logic doesn't apply, hence the 4 toes, if that has anything to do with anything lol

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 02:48:07 AM »
However, Danielle was Serbian not french, I think?
Danielle, the character, has always been French. 
Danielle, the character has always been presumed to be French.  She never said so herself.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 04:53:51 AM »
Her map had French writing so she apparently writes in French.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 06:02:12 AM »
They write in French in Belgium and also Quebec.

Offline lostieloo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 11:00:22 AM »
You're right...I should have rephrased it to presumedto be French.

Offline Hurley rocks dudes

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 01:25:50 AM »
well before they met danielle, they called her the French Woman, then the Crazy French Chick, so i think we all assumed she was french cause the writers put that in there...

Offline Wishbone

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 10:39:21 AM »

Not over the line - I'm an unoffended Brit :)
Charlotte speaks with a very proper English accent without any regional English acent so I always just presumed she was fairly posh.
The people who were filming Dr Marvin spoke in American accents too.

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 11:51:51 AM »

Not over the line - I'm an unoffended Brit :)
Charlotte speaks with a very proper English accent without any regional English acent so I always just presumed she was fairly posh.
The people who were filming Dr Marvin spoke in American accents too.

Phew! Thanks Wishbone! I appreciate the input! ;D