Author Topic: Two factions of others...  (Read 1127 times)

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Two factions of others...
« on: January 29, 2009, 12:40:48 PM »
Ok, I put this out to Jugdish in another posting, but I thought it might merit its own topic so I am repeating it. This continues a theory I had a couple of years ago that there were multiple factions of others. I look forward to hearing what you all think.

The young widmore is obviously kind of a hothead, and is not a strong, silent leader of the 1954 others. He has his own ideas, thoughts, and opinions.

It seems to me that they are foreshadowing a rift with the others. I predict that Widmore will schism the others, create his own faction, and somehow effectively gain control of the Island. Maybe it is because he will not be considered for a leadership position (Remember what Richard said about "We select our possible leaders at a very young age?").  The Richard Alpert others will be outnumbered and will have to scatter into the interior of the Island, while Widmore will use the resources of the Island to go out to the main world and become an industrial magnate, forge connections with Alvar Hanso, and will then develop the Dharma initiative.

Thus, the purge will be the Richard Alpert others move to take back the island from the Widmore others, and the whole Ben/Widmore drama is just a continuation of two separate groups of others vying for control of the island.

I have heard other people postulate that Widmore may have turned the large wheel, just like Ben did, and then was not able to come back to the island.  This may be plausible, but does not tie in to the origins of Dharma, and the reason for the purge like my original hypothesis does.

Man, when Richard called that kid Widmore last night I started shouting no way, no way. The show has not made me that excited in a LONG time.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Two factions of others...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 12:50:27 PM »
Some of this theory makes sense. We need more information on who started and how the Dharma Initiative got started. I am sure that is coming.

I like your explanation. It is as good as any theory I have heard on this topic.

Offline WG?JIFFY

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 01:17:53 PM »
I like the theory but not sure how much of it could be right.

Look at Richard in 1954 (last night) see how nice, clean cut,
organized he and the others were. 

Then look at Richard when he meets Ben in the woods with
long hair, tattered clothes, un-kept all around. This was, what,
30 years later.  He has an animalistic character to him.

What changed in those 30 years? Obviously not Richard.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 01:20:50 PM »

]i posed this question last night.  honestly, i think the long hair, tattered clothes & unkept look are just an act of sorts.  i think it is to live up to the 'hostile' name that the dharma others had given them.  had he shown up clean and groomed he wouldn't look very hostile would he?

Offline WG?JIFFY

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 01:27:24 PM »
I understand the hostile thing, but still think he wouldn't want his
new leader to think they all lived like animals, of sort. Right?

Sorry for stepping on toes!!  Didnt know you posted already!! 
Glad we are thinking alike though!!

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 03:22:22 PM »

30 years later.
  He has an animalistic character to him.

Ahhhh, but that is the question!  Was it 30 years later?  Or maybe 100 years earlier?  Maybe he can move through time if he wants to, even though he's not doing it right now?  Or maybe young Ben did a little time-trip of his own right then?  We don't know for sure, I don't think...

I agree that it's really interesting that that's the one time we've seen Richard look different...

Oh, and msdoran, I am totally on board with your theory about the two Other factions.  Now we'll have to come up with names... RichardOthers and WidmoreOthers?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 03:24:26 PM by Madam P »

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 03:32:11 PM »

Don't you see though? Richard Alpert with tattered clothes and long hair ties perfectly in to my theory? Since the Richothers were displaced by the Widothers they had to scatter into the island, and were probably without the main facilities that the Widothers had taken over. This could also be a direct tie in to the Temple. Remember? It is a fall back place of last resort, perhaps it is the place the the Richothers fled to when the Widothers took over, and lived at all those years until Ben helped them to orchestrate the purge.  The ragged apperance was a result of them having to live in a much more remote and less hospitable a place (without access to supplies, showers, etc).

I know it is my own theory but the more I think about it the more it makes sense. Of course the hostilities are between two factions of others. Both know the value and potential of the island, but only one has access to Jacob (Richothers) and seems to be on the right side of the Island.  I think that Widmore simply wanted to exploit and learn from the island for both his own personal gain, as well as knowledge and information that would allow him to essentially manipulate and control the entire planet. Hence the Dharma Foundation funded with Alvar Hanso a man who made millions building and selling armanents.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 04:08:18 PM »
Thus, the purge will be the Richard Alpert others move to take back the island from the Widmore others, and the whole Ben/Widmore drama is just a continuation of two separate groups of others vying for control of the island.

I had much the same thought, the other day.

I have heard other people postulate that Widmore may have turned the large wheel, just like Ben did, and then was not able to come back to the island.  This may be plausible, but does not tie in to the origins of Dharma, and the reason for the purge like my original hypothesis does.

This is the first time I've heard this theory and I love it! Maybe that's what Ben was referring to when he said that Widmore changed the rules. Once you leave you shouldn't even attempt to go back, and although Widmore wasn't amongst the freighter crew, they were his people under his influence (so in a way, he had come back).

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 06:09:38 PM »

I had much the same thought, the other day.

This is the first time I've heard this theory and I love it! Maybe that's what Ben was referring to when he said that Widmore changed the rules. Once you leave you shouldn't even attempt to go back, and although Widmore wasn't amongst the freighter crew, they were his people under his influence (so in a way, he had come back).

good point. Maybe that was the Richothers way of getting rid of a nuisance, you know for the "greater good" and all.  But he wanted it back, and was able to get it back through Dharma.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 06:57:57 PM »
Maybe that was the Richothers way of getting rid of a nuisance, you know for the "greater good" and all.  But he wanted it back, and was able to get it back through Dharma.

Yeah. He might have been misled into turning that wheel - or even forced.