Author Topic: its 1954 , when does Dharma show up ?  (Read 1180 times)

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
its 1954 , when does Dharma show up ?
« on: January 29, 2009, 08:41:40 AM »
hi,
I'm new to this forum, first post
so forgive me if this is in the wrong place. I'm putting it here because we learn its 1954 in this episode.
Do we know FOR SURE when Dharma shows up? Or is it all just speculation and misdirection as to when they show up?
Its got to be pretty soon right?

also, there's a malfunctioning hydrogen bomb on the island and a group of US soldiers is missing

is there anyway the US would simply ignore this? Especially in 1954 with China and Russia being communist and a nuclear arms race already beginning.
No way
The US would send carriers, subs and a couple of platoons to investigate.

So, do the Others "move" the island to hide themselves from the US forces?

If so, how does Dharma find the island ? Dharma is obviously going back and forth to supply themselves.

Does Richard order young Charles Widmore to turn the wheel and move / hide the island in preparation for the US military forces coming ? 
Thereby causing Widmore to permanently be cast off the island?
(because didn't Ben tell Locke once you leave you can't come back)

and so this is why Widmore is off the island and trying to get back?

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:47:25 AM by jamesl »

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: its 1954 , when does Dharma show up ?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 09:39:10 AM »
well, the Dharma Initiative itself wasn't founded until 1970 by the DeGroots. Later, the orientation films  are copyrighted 1980. So Dharma coming to the island and building it's stations/barracks happened sometime between 1970 and 1980.

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 09:39:44 AM »
oh, and I think your theory is incredibly plausible! It would make a LOT of sense!

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 10:07:02 AM »

that scenario has a steely glint in it's eye...the kind that says if truth were a wafer cracker than I'd be best served with a nice slice of gouda and a smooth single malt scotch.
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline jamesl

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 10:48:04 AM »
well, the Dharma Initiative itself wasn't founded until 1970 by the DeGroots. Later, the orientation films  are copyrighted 1980. So Dharma coming to the island and building it's stations/barracks happened sometime between 1970 and 1980.

oh, ok thanks, I didn't know the films were copyrighted 1980.
the grainy black and white of the films always made me think of newsreels from the late 50's and early 60's

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 11:35:50 AM »
If the wheel was turned before Ben touched it, how did said person get to it? Last time i checked there was a wall in front of it during Dharma construction.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 12:25:24 PM »
Yeh, the chamber. Was the Hole Ben climbed through caused by his actions there, or was it a bored out hole from some action after the melting drill bits etc...?
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 03:28:15 PM »
Yeh, the chamber. Was the Hole Ben climbed through caused by his actions there, or was it a bored out hole from some action after the melting drill bits etc...?

I'm going with a hole that was already there from before and blocked up with the box/timemachine whatever thing that was there. that "box"  was probably there to feed off the energy from the wheel area for time experiments, I'm thinking.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 11:41:33 PM »
I thought Dharma was initiated by the Hanso family.  The Hansos connection to the island was a crewmember of the Black Rock who crash-landed on the island back when it was off the coast of Madagascar.  I was figuring that at some point in the 1970s, the Hansos figured out where the island was again and hence started the Dharma Initiative.

Widmore bought that painting of the Black Rock and the Hanso diary, right?  But has there been any proof that Widmore is a relation to the Hansos?  Now that we see that he is an "original" Other, he can't be a Hanso, can he?

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 12:47:51 PM »
I thought Dharma was initiated by the Hanso family.  The Hansos connection to the island was a crewmember of the Black Rock who crash-landed on the island back when it was off the coast of Madagascar.  I was figuring that at some point in the 1970s, the Hansos figured out where the island was again and hence started the Dharma Initiative.

I don't know if this helps but I got it all from Lostpedia:
The Hanso Foundation is an organization founded by Alvar Hanso, aiming to "reach out to a better tomorrow" by researching ways to preserve human life and promote well-being. It was established approximately around the 1960s, with Alvar oddly moving from a successful background in munitions selling and weapons armament to becoming a philanthropic entrepreneur. Among other projects, the Foundation also financed the DHARMA Initiative.

According to various orientation films, the Initiative was founded in 1970 by Gerald and Karen DeGroot, two doctoral candidates at the University of Michigan. It was or still is financially backed by Danish industrialist and munitions magnate Alvar Hanso and his Hanso Foundation.

Alvar Hanso, great grandson of Magnus, appeared in the 1975 DHARMA Orientation Film, introducing the DHARMA Initiative to recruits, and explaining its purpose to the world. The project began due to Alvar discovering the Valenzetti Equation, which had been commissioned by the United Nations in 1962. Its findings predicted the exact amount of time until mankind extinguished itself as a species. Hanso built research facilities on "an island" to research and attempt to modify the equation's results (thereby changing the date of the "end of the world").

Not much else is said about Magnus other than he did own the Black Rock and he is apparently buried on the island.

Widmore bought that painting of the Black Rock and the Hanso diary, right?  But has there been any proof that Widmore is a relation to the Hansos?  Now that we see that he is an "original" Other, he can't be a Hanso, can he?

I don't think they've given us enough to speculate on any of that.