Author Topic: The Tripmines  (Read 1185 times)

Offline ButchFitz

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
The Tripmines
« on: January 29, 2009, 04:03:28 AM »
So if the tripmines that blew up at the creek weren't planted by the others, who do they belong to?

Offline ButchFitz

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Tripmines
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 04:05:47 AM »
Hahaha i think i just figured out my own question... it was the u.s. army

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 07:53:10 AM »
Yep they are M18A1 Claymore Mines. They are pretty much a bunch of steel balls in front of an explosive charge. It's like a really powerfull shotgun. After watching that scene I now know it wasn't Smokey like I thought from the previews.

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 10:44:26 AM »
^ good observation..lol

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
They are pushing it with the Claymore mines...
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 12:28:53 PM »
OK, I think the writers were pushing it a bit with the claymore mines in 1954. According to Wikipedia they were first being developed in 1952, and they were used in small numbers in Vietnam around 1961.

So, there is a chance that they were being used in 1954, but if so they would not have been used broadly, and may indicate the special nature of the US Army soliders sent to the island.

Claymores were most heavily used starting in the 1960's. While their use in last nights episode was slightly plausible, I really think they were pushing the line a bit.

Offline Tedlg

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 12:59:14 PM »
Yes, I can agree with that.  The "Font - Face toward enemy" wasn't being used on them in 1954 yet, either, I believe.

I suppose it's a minor nitpick.  Maybe they really wanted to use a mine that is pretty recognizable to the general public (since they've been in a lot of movies), so the audience would understand immediately what they were.  But yes, the Claymore is a little out of place in their timeline.

That is, assuming the writers didn't do it on purpose, because the soldiers are actually a group from the future....ugh, my head hurts to think about it.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 01:00:58 PM »
Not to mention putting it on a tripwire for Miles to see.

Offline WG?JIFFY

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 01:38:20 PM »
Tripline was my only real issue with the scene.

Miles sees it and doesn't say a word for another
20 seconds?  I don't believe that would be the
natural response to seeing a trip wire!?!  Maybe
just my natural response would be to yell "halt" or
"stop" or something to get the rest of my party to
stop immediately!

I understand the use of the Claymore's because
most of the public would recognize them for what
they are immediately. 

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 02:22:44 PM »
I saw them used on the range at Ft Dix....if you are close to it most that is left are your boots...as you get further away you just look like swiss cheese (at least the silouettes did)....

I wonder how many more are out there as they are used to mark approaches to the camp....

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 05:07:43 PM »
Yes, I can agree with that.  The "Font - Face toward enemy" wasn't being used on them in 1954 yet, either, I believe.

I suppose it's a minor nitpick.  Maybe they really wanted to use a mine that is pretty recognizable to the general public (since they've been in a lot of movies), so the audience would understand immediately what they were.  But yes, the Claymore is a little out of place in their timeline.

That is, assuming the writers didn't do it on purpose, because the soldiers are actually a group from the future....ugh, my head hurts to think about it.

Agreed. In the military a raised fist by whoever is walking point stops the group while the person who sees the hazard checks it out. At least Miles did not do this (indicating military training). He just stares at it (what, no ghosts around to tell him about it?).