Author Topic: Latin is "Others 101"....  (Read 4616 times)

Offline dragonflyk

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Latin is "Others 101"....
« on: January 29, 2009, 01:42:52 AM »
I don't know if this was brought up at all, but I was just going over the hatch door videos...

There was Latin and English written on the Hatch door.... How did the two before Desmond (Inman/ Karpinzky spelling???) know Latin??

Maybe I am totally trying to relate the two, and it has nothing to do with anything....but I was curious on everyone else's thoughts...

So...THOUGHTS??  ;D

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Latin is "Others 101"....
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:35:37 AM »
Yeah, and martial arts must then be 'Others 102'.  But at what point did Juliet start to spend all this time learning how to kick ass, and take names in Latin? Wasn't she focused on solving the mother-baby problem, while spending any free time with Goodwin, or getting oggled by Ben, going to therapy, or attending her book club?

Good catch on the blast door/Others 101 connection.

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 04:39:02 AM »
Latin has always been an interesting part of Lost... blast door, tabula rasa, deus ex machina, via domus, philosophical debates... Apparently Juliet referred to it as "the language of the enlightened"... Tough to learn even though it's considered a dead language, probably because you can say the same thing in multiple ways depending on the verb suffices.

Wonder what other classes they offer at Others University. The book club was probably part of the curriculum.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 10:15:04 AM »

Interesting that Jacob comes from the Latin Iacobus which means supplanter which is the noun form of the verb supplant which means to supersede and replace.

Iacobus and Iacomus are the same, the latter turning to James in English the former to Jacob.

Does Mssr. Ford have more to do?
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 11:01:50 AM »
I heart word nerds.

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 11:09:01 AM »
Interesting that Jacob comes from the Latin Iacobus which means supplanter which is the noun form of the verb supplant which means to supersede and replace.

When Jacob was first introduced in Lost, I went with the biblical origins of the name which have to do with the story of Jacob and Esau.  Esau came out first (and would've been the rightful heir to Isaac) but Jacob was grasping his heel, therefore he was given the name יַעֲקֹב which means heel-grabber.  One of his sons was named Benjamin.

I took Latin in high school primarily because it is a common root of so many other languages.  I'd say that any of the British Others we saw last night were heavily schooled in the language by age 14.

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 11:40:13 AM »
I'd say that any of the British Others we saw last night were heavily schooled in the language by age 14.

Agreed. They did very well. Juliette, however, not so much. (I took Latin in 7th grade - gotta love NYC schools)

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 03:13:51 PM »

When Jacob was first introduced in Lost, I went with the biblical origins of the name which have to do with the story of Jacob and Esau.  Esau came out first (and would've been the rightful heir to Isaac) but Jacob was grasping his heel, therefore he was given the name יַעֲקֹב which means heel-grabber.  One of his sons was named Benjamin.

I took Latin in high school primarily because it is a common root of so many other languages.  I'd say that any of the British Others we saw last night were heavily schooled in the language by age 14.

I remember you doing that and I remember reading that! it was very interesting too

Offline thewarlord

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 10:06:53 PM »
I'm perturbed once again that an 'other' in this case Juliet is providing a hint about what it means to be an other and neither Sawyer nor Locke follow up on it.  The whole "Others 101" thing came off like she was being smart, but the fact remains that see speaks conversation latin (more than a Dr. would remember I think.  If nothing else a quick discussion about "Otherdom" would make good traveling entertainment.

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 02:09:11 AM »
Does this tie in with the "Island is Atlantis" theory?  (Our island "disappeared into the sea" just like the "real" Atlantis.)

So the "real" Atlantis has supposedly been determined to be San Torini(sp?) in the Mediterranean (where a city built on the side of a supervolcanic island blew up when the eruption and tsunami destroyed it).  So, is San Torini near Italy?  Would the inhabitants have spoken Latin?  (Or is Latin a much later language than the era of Atlantis?)

Offline Matt_at_TSH

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 02:21:45 AM »
Ive always thought that the conotations of an ancient civilization originally inhabiting the island has been omnipresent in the show. From the 4 toed statue to the temple and other landmarks, clues have been given that people have inhabited the Island for centuries. Is it posible that these "stoic" peoples native tounge may have been latin? I am all but certain that when we finally see temple, we will get some back story on these ancient others and how Alpert is one of them and may be passing on their teachings.

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 08:29:29 AM »
Does this tie in with the "Island is Atlantis" theory?  (Our island "disappeared into the sea" just like the "real" Atlantis.)

I had heard people mention it might be Atlantis before the island moved but dismissed the idea. Now that it has actually "disappeared" I am seeing that it might be actually plausible...

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 10:13:21 AM »

If that be the case, I could see just walking away...

Am not totally dismissive of the idea, but if someone stands op (on the show) and says, "Yes, Jack, this is Atlantis..." that would be patently absurd, and I do not believe they will go that route.

Now it being said that the Isle through time led to what is the mythology that is Atlantis...(not as stinky as Brie, but still a bit of the curdled milk sense about it)....the disappearing city that whom was it, Aristotle? that wrote the history of it...? No it was Plato, regardless there are other mythologies that are far more interesting that could be tapped, and I rather see them creating new and tapping many to tie the knot of these old things together...
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 12:32:39 PM »

Now it being said that the Isle through time led to what is the mythology that is Atlantis...(not as stinky as Brie, but still a bit of the curdled milk sense about it)....the disappearing city that whom was it, Aristotle? that wrote the history of it...? No it was Plato, regardless there are other mythologies that are far more interesting that could be tapped, and I rather see them creating new and tapping many to tie the knot of these old things together...

well, thats what I mean by plausible... perhaps the island was moved, and people who knew it used to be there tried to make sense of it by coming up with the story that it sank... hey, it's a moving frickin' island... it's already a little wacky to begin with, why not have some historical significance?
lol;) ;D

Offline bleev

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 12:37:22 PM »
Wouldn't the crew of an 18th century sailing ship be pretty good with Latin?

Thanks for all the active member insights. I'm sure there a many like me who enjoy want can be found here, but just do not participate.