Author Topic: Richard is very old  (Read 4818 times)

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Richard is very old
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2009, 09:21:11 PM »
So, Richard is very old. He probably knows more about the island than anyone else we've met thus far. So why isn't he the leader? I think the Others need to be led by someone who's mortal because they need someone with that particular perspective. Richard has a hand in choosing said leader, but he's looking for even more specific characteristics.

What's very interesting is that Ben and Locke have several similarities when it comes to their births...born in duress to a mother named Emily on the West coast of the U.S. within a certain period of history...It would have been easy for Richard to confuse them based on just this.

Also, were there no lady-leaders? I have faith that JJ hasn't veered far from his penchant for strong female lead characters, but where are they? How come no women have been told they're "special"? Are there no Eves to these Adams? lol.. ;)

A woman couldn't be "special", come on. once a month she would get all pissy and Turn the donkey wheel.

Just kidding, totally kidding about that. That is not meant to be taken seriously.

You better duck...I just took off my shoe (and it's a heavy clog)!

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2009, 02:00:00 AM »
my questions is this though:

if a person doesn't age does their hair grow?  i would think not since that is a time thing, and if they don't experience time change, then their hair shouldn't grow!

Your hair would still grow.  Not appearing to age could just be perfect cell duplication.  The deterioration of aging is (among other things) because when cells divide, the last few bits of the DNA strand (telomeres?) get lost when it unzips.  Most of the end is junk DNA so at first you don't lose anything, but over time you eventually lose some piece of the strand that matters and you get imperfect cells mixed in with cells that are completely functional.  (I think in real life they supposedly will eventually be able to conquer the imperfect cell division aspect of aging.)  Hair growth is the normal function of healthy cells.

Offline ukslim

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2009, 09:06:40 AM »
i don't understand why juliet was so nonchalant about it!

It made me laugh. "Yeah, Richard's really, really old and he doesn't age. Why are you so interested in him?"

Offline nauset

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2009, 09:57:02 AM »
Richard is King Tut, thats my offical guess and I a sticking to it. That would be 1 very large shark to jump over.

I think you might be close...Richard hails from the middle east, todays Tunisia perhaps

He is probably Sayids dad as well

He may appear ageless because he has seldom left the state of time shift ala, unless you stop in the present, you dont age.  Richard has the fountain of youth, and Widmer is jeolous to say the least

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 10:19:57 AM by nauset »

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2009, 01:32:29 PM »
So, Richard is very old. He probably knows more about the island than anyone else we've met thus far. So why isn't he the leader? I think the Others need to be led by someone who's mortal because they need someone with that particular perspective. Richard has a hand in choosing said leader, but he's looking for even more specific characteristics.

What's very interesting is that Ben and Locke have several similarities when it comes to their births...born in duress to a mother named Emily on the West coast of the U.S. within a certain period of history...It would have been easy for Richard to confuse them based on just this.

Also, were there no lady-leaders? I have faith that JJ hasn't veered far from his penchant for strong female lead characters, but where are they? How come no women have been told they're "special"? Are there no Eves to these Adams? lol.. ;)

A woman couldn't be "special", come on. once a month she would get all pissy and Turn the donkey wheel.

Just kidding, totally kidding about that. That is not meant to be taken seriously.

You better duck...I just took off my shoe (and it's a heavy clog)!

Come on now. How could I resist that?? It was too easy.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2009, 06:26:28 PM »
Maybe Richard came to the island on the Black Rock?

Offline LostinAlaska

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2009, 01:44:22 AM »
i don't understand why juliet was so nonchalant about it!

It made me laugh. "Yeah, Richard's really, really old and he doesn't age. Why are you so interested in him?"

*singing in a soft voice for non aging Richard* AwWwWw na na na na.... Ok so I'm not gonna start a thread b/c it's highly inappropriate, but every time you see Richard's name in a post and think of the ever popular nickname instead and you're as immature as I tend to get... it can be pretty funny.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 06:41:01 AM by AlasKAS »

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2009, 02:11:43 AM »

I'm torn about this.  I want to believe that Richard is one of the island's "original inhabitants" if there are any such... perhaps people who built the four-toed statue. 

But I keep thinking that the picture MangoBingo posted of long-haired Richard looks like a sailor on the Black Rock might've looked.  That vest in particular looks to fit the time period (I've studied 18th and 19th century clothing a bit.)  I just can't square it in my mind why only that one time he looks like that, and every other time he looks like an LL Bean ad...

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2009, 04:01:13 PM »

I'm torn about this.  I want to believe that Richard is one of the island's "original inhabitants" if there are any such... perhaps people who built the four-toed statue. 

But I keep thinking that the picture MangoBingo posted of long-haired Richard looks like a sailor on the Black Rock might've looked.  That vest in particular looks to fit the time period (I've studied 18th and 19th century clothing a bit.)  I just can't square it in my mind why only that one time he looks like that, and every other time he looks like an LL Bean ad...

Maybe the natives were all fig leaf wearers, and when the Black rock rolled up, The Others took their clothes like they do with everyother group that lands on the island.

Offline Matt_at_TSH

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2009, 06:56:14 PM »
If I were to assume who, if anyone, were an original inhabitant of the Island, it would be Richard. I bet when we finaly see the BlackRock get stranded on the Island, guess who will be there to greet them? Alpert. I feel his liniage dates way way back. Lets see, what else on the Island is very very old... That would be a start.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2009, 07:08:38 PM »

I don't think that Richard's a native. He really didn't seem to know about the Island's time-distorting properties until meeting Locke-from-the-future in 1954. Surely if he'd been on the Island for a few thousand years, he would have stumbled across the Island's temporal anomalies himself, over that period of time?

Also, his speech to Locke in 'The Brig' which I keep going back to, again and again: "We're looking for someone to remind us that we're here for more important reasons"...

Now, he may have meant "here" as in "here in this situation", but if he literally meant "here in this place", it would infer that he wasn't originally there.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2009, 08:14:02 PM »

I am going to take the tack that he, Alpert, is playing his cards close to his chest in regards the isle's unique properties. I thought his reaction to Locke's info was ambiguous at best (though I have not analyzed it in depth)...Just going off of what was given, and doing that is an ambiguous thing in itself...what are we to read into and what are we to take at face value? Which is half the fun of this puzzle...

His reaction to Locke's name dropping Jacob elicited the response Locke wanted, which is what one would have expected, though for him to go "Who?" would have been too...deep(?) if he did know Jacob and didn't want Locke to know that he knew...you get too deep in the whole "You know what I know you know, then I know that you know what I know" rigmarole then the narrative gets infinitely to stringy....
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2009, 11:27:41 PM »
My husband and I think that Richard may be an entity of the island...it would make sense as to why he never seems to age.