Author Topic: Is the Bomb in the Swan Hatch  (Read 7042 times)

Offline Still_lost06

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Bomb in the Swan Hatch
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2009, 02:28:48 PM »
I also think that the bomb was too far from the Hatch's location to be brought there safely.It makes more sense to me at least, for the bomb to be buried at it's 'current' location (near the barracks). Although if Dharma buried it, they would probably want it far away from where they actually lived (as if that would make a big difference to the h-bomb).

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2009, 03:34:01 PM »
Perhaps if you are off the island for too long, you lose the ability to stay young. That of course is a total assumption on my part, but it seems to make sense as to why the Others that go off the island have to get back so quickly.

here's a question: how did they age to begin with? lol :) Wouldn't they remain newborns if they truly never aged?

Well, I don't know how your mind works when thinking about this kind of stuff, but when I get the idea of ageless-immortals (ageless-immortal=not being able to die by natural means. Requires an external cause to die. Like Highlanders) I tend to think of them as being created that way. So aging to that point doesn't happen, they just always are that age.

Perhaps if you are off the island for too long, you lose the ability to stay young. That of course is a total assumption on my part, but it seems to make sense as to why the Others that go off the island have to get back so quickly.

Ben aged from being a child to an adult, without leaving the Island.

But he's also not a native Other, so it might not apply to him.

It seems to me that the "hatch" the bomb was suspended over was probably where they (U.S. Army) were going to drop it in order to test it. If that's the case, perhaps the others just lowered the bomb in there, and then covered it over with concrete. Seems to make the most sense to me, because carrying it all the way across the island to where the Swan is seems to be more hazardous than anything else they were planning. But that's just me.

It was not a hatch, it was just a metal plate designed as a flat surface to ensure detonation of the bomb.

I don't know about that, looks to me like there is something more to it than that. I mean I'm sure they could have rigged up some sort of remote to just detonate the bomb if that's what they were testing. I doubt it actually had to be dropped onto it's nose to go off. If you google up "Underground Hydrogen Bomb Tests" you will see videos of H-bombs going off underground, and I'm sure they had to be placed/lowered there. Seems to make more sense they would want to know the effects of that rather than an above ground detonation.

Plus, the Others weren't the ones that built the Swan. The DI did. I think that the idea that the others, who were apparently already feeling the affects of the radiation (I know the article said that an H-bomb wouldn't leak radiation, but you know what I'm saying), carrying the bomb all the way across the island to where the Swan station will be built is a little ludicrous. On top of that, when the DI finally comes to the island and decides to build their Swan station there, and they just happen to come across a concrete wall with an H-bomb buried underneath it, I think they might leave that alone, and/or just build the Swan somewhere else entirely.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2009, 08:29:44 AM »
It seems to me that the "hatch" the bomb was suspended over was probably where they (U.S. Army) were going to drop it in order to test it. If that's the case, perhaps the others just lowered the bomb in there, and then covered it over with concrete. Seems to make the most sense to me, because carrying it all the way across the island to where the Swan is seems to be more hazardous than anything else they were planning. But that's just me.

It was not a hatch, it was just a metal plate designed as a flat surface to ensure detonation of the bomb.

FYI Nuclear and Hydrogen bombs are not designed to detonate from being dropped. They require precise timing of a firing sequence and are normally air burst for maximum effectiveness.

On another note, in season 4 when Dan and Charlotte go to the station I can't remember to disable a doomsday event from killing the island. What was that about and could it be our Jughead? I am having a hard time remembering that episode and now my nose is bleeding. :o

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2009, 08:46:53 AM »
that episode was about gas release and rendering it inert

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2009, 12:22:20 PM »
FYI Nuclear and Hydrogen bombs are not designed to detonate from being dropped. They require precise timing of a firing sequence and are normally air burst for maximum effectiveness.

Google up Underground Hydrogen Bomb Tests and watch whatever video it is they show, that's what I think they were trying to do, and the hatch looking thing that is under Jughead looks to me like that's where they would lower the bomb.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2009, 12:49:27 PM »

Google up Underground Hydrogen Bomb Tests and watch whatever video it is they show, that's what I think they were trying to do, and the hatch looking thing that is under Jughead looks to me like that's where they would lower the bomb.

Yes I know about that, but then lies the problem of a large team with heavy equipment drilling a hole a few hundred feet deep. They would surely do this before they brought the bomb to the sight. Not to mention Richard and others would have some advance knowledge of the activity before the bomb is brought on island. And the big problem would be, where is the equipment that dug the holes and brought the bomb from the shoreline/ airstrip. At this point I would settle for a shovel and a hand truck.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2009, 05:08:27 PM »
Could be in the boxes that were next to the scaffolding holding Jughead. No??

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2009, 09:17:29 AM »

here's a question: how did they age to begin with? lol :) Wouldn't they remain newborns if they truly never aged?

"Aging" and growth/maturation are two separate things.  Think of those kids with the disease progeria who "die of old age" when they're 10.  They're aren't just 80-year-old adults who only took 10 years to get to that point.  They still have the body of a child (not fully grown, haven't gone through puberty) but they just have the cells of an 80-year-old.  What's happening to them is deterioration from cell division.  With normal cell division, you might lose 1% of the junk DNA off the end of the strand when the cell divides.  It takes 7 years to replace all the cells in your body, so every 7 years you lose 1% of the original code.  By age 70, you've lost 10% of the original DNA code and that starts to affect the functioning of the cells; things deteriorate and don't work and you "die of old age".  For these kids, something is wrong and they might lose 5% every time their cells divide, so it only takes 14 years for them to lose 10% so they "die of old age" at 14 instead of 70.  (But it still takes 14 years to reach puberty because the cells aren't dividing any faster than the normal rate.)

If Richard has always been on the island, theoretically, he should be perpetually 21 (i.e., fully matured but with no degradation).  We see that whenever Widmore left the island for good, he began to age like a normal person (same for Ms. Hawking), so I assume they both left the island in their 20s.