Author Topic: The sick girl Des went to see  (Read 6933 times)

Offline wcaclimbing

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
The sick girl Des went to see
« on: January 28, 2009, 11:27:04 PM »
First, who was she?

Second, that 'horrible thing dan did to the girl', I'm guessing he tried his mind/time experiments on her.
What the lady described (was just 3 years old, later was talking to her dad) sounds a lot like the mind shifting stuff that was happening to Des.
But I guess that girl didn't have a constant so she's gotten pretty messed up, only staying alive cause of all the medical things Widmore supplied.

What do you guys think?

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: The sick girl Des went to see
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 11:28:42 PM »
That sounds plausible to me

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 11:30:50 PM »
What I'd like to know is what her significance is in the grand scheme of things.  She really didn't add anything to the story for me so far, except making the connection between Widmore and Farraday and his mother.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 11:40:31 PM »
What I'd like to know is what her significance is in the grand scheme of things.  She really didn't add anything to the story for me so far, except making the connection between Widmore and Farraday and his mother.
I think that was the main point, plus it showed that Daniel got pretty far in is time travel study.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 11:43:25 PM »
Agree.

Reminds me of "Theresa falls up the stairs, Theresa falls down the stairs."

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 11:44:36 PM »
The part that got my little lost watch party confused is why does Desmond not tell her that she needs to find a constant.

Offline wcaclimbing

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 11:47:30 PM »
The part that got my little lost watch party confused is why does Desmond not tell her that she needs to find a constant.

Desmond was probably like 'oh crap she can't help me. this is awkward' and got out of there pretty quickly.
And besides, Desmond mentioning needing a constant would bring a ton of "WTF?" from the other people in the room.
Even if Des went into all the details and explained it, they still wouldn't believe him  ::)

Offline patrixmith

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 02:47:02 AM »
She is the girl in that photograph that Desmond picked up in Daniel's old experiment room. Either a sister or a girlfriend?

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 11:57:53 AM »
I thought that when she mentioned that Widmore was the one paying for everything that sort of pushed all other thoughts out of Des's head. Plus, it seems like Desmond is still kind of fuzzy about the whole concept of "constants", so trying to explain it would have been difficult. Also, if the woman that answered the door was her sister, and she isn't considered a constant, than what would??

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 12:22:49 PM »
I think that was the main point, plus it showed that Daniel got pretty far in is time travel study.

I agree, that was her purpose, to link Faraday to Widmore, and to move Desmond forward in locating Faraday's mom. Otherwise how the heck would he have found out she was in LA? He did not have her name, did not know what she looked like, and London is a LARGE city. It would have been entirely impossible for him to locate her.

Offline karatemama

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 04:00:11 PM »
I think she has to mean something...she will be back in a later episode..I'm sure of it. I think there is way more to it than just linking Widmore and his money to Daniel

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 05:18:24 PM »
I think Daniel did a Eloisetest on her and now her
consciousness is trapped in the past.
He tried to save her and messed up his own brain too.
He is on the island to find a solution. And now he sees Charlotte
going in the same direction as Theresa.

I don't believe that Dan just ran away. He is too nice for that.

Offline userh6478

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 06:20:44 PM »
Agree.

Reminds me of "Theresa falls up the stairs, Theresa falls down the stairs."

That is who I thought of also..I wonder?? if they are the same

Offline Hurley rocks dudes

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 11:56:14 PM »
i think that that girl's sister thought that daniel ran away because he went onto the freighter and hasn't come back for 3 years now... its not his fault he hasn't come back yet... maybe daniel went on the freighter to try and find a cure for her

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 01:07:56 PM »
i think that that girl's sister thought that daniel ran away because he went onto the freighter and hasn't come back for 3 years now... its not his fault he hasn't come back yet... maybe daniel went on the freighter to try and find a cure for her

Was the girl that was the caretaker for the sick girl the same girl in the episode where we see Dan has a caretaker?? Maybe she wasn't his caretaker at all, he just happened to be in the house with the sick girl (sorry, I forget her name) when the news about Oceanic 815 was on TV. Just IMDB-ed it, and she is not the same nurse as far as I can tell, but interestingly enough there is a Grisel Toledo listed as Nurse in the episode "The Beginning of the End" and the episode "Dave". Hmmmmm, just like the record keeper at Oxford who was also the girl who let Hurley on the plane, I wonder if this is signifcant, or just a recycled actress.