Author Topic: the 1954 happening?  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
Re: the 1954 happening?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 02:00:04 PM »
That's the conundrum...

I do not think it would be an ending though...just a chapter closing somewhat...though that did not happen last night...it is an intriuging line to follow though because of the idea of the possible paradox involved and what not...

There's still some rich history to delve into, then they can go off into the parking lot, set up the pool, rev up the cycle and head for the ramp....

*thumbs up* AAYYYYYYYYYYYY
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 02:21:11 PM »
In addition to the above, we have a sense that "Jacob" existed on the island at least as far back as 1954 and was giving orders then....which could be why Alpert is interested in Locke due to his connection with Jacob.....

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 02:46:23 PM »

Would Alpert have gone to look for Locke had Locke not "flashed" in and told him to?

I believe no he would not have,

And pure speculation I think that Due to something Widmore is told on the island by one of the time jumpers is how he becomes a rich man off the island,  I would not suspect that someone who came from money would be in the british army, usually soldiers are lower class citizens or from poorer families, not to generalize but I believe that is the case.

Anyway I think he gets his money due to somthing that is said top him in the past,

Offline Mrs Hume

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 04:01:48 PM »

Would Alpert have gone to look for Locke had Locke not "flashed" in and told him to?

this is what i am stuck on. When did it start and when does it end?

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 04:03:30 PM »
I REALLY want to know who Abbadon works for now. 
The FBI and he is in command of a unit consisting of a criminal/con man, a scientist who is scratches the borderline of insanity and a fiery blonde workaholic. Oh, my mistake different show altogether.

lol that's cute. ((Fringe)) Which I'm liking ...

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 04:07:43 PM »
I REALLY want to know who Abbadon works for now. 
The FBI and he is in command of a unit consisting of a criminal/con man, a scientist who is scratches the borderline of insanity and a fiery blonde workaholic. Oh, my mistake different show altogether.

lol that's cute. ((Fringe)) Which I'm liking ...

Fringe is okay. I make no effort to watch it when it is on TV, but it's great on my lunch breaks at work on wednesday. Except for this past one where the people's brains melt out of their noses and mouths. Very unpleasant.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 04:14:53 PM »
... where the people's brains melt out of their noses and mouths. Very unpleasant.

Nothing a lil' Sudafed wouldn't have helped...

True True, me too, as that is the definition of Paradox right? Which they were/are trying to avoid...

F. Bacon

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 04:21:29 PM »

True True, me too, as that is the definition of Paradox right? Which they were/are trying to avoid...

I'm saying to everyone I know to give it time, it's only the second week of the new season. My friend last night was all pissed off that they weren't answering questions, and I had to tell her to calm down about it. Now, if they get to the middle of the season and they are still doing this with out explaining certain nuances of the time travel, then I'm right there with you Stagger, just like Guiness and open faced Peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches. My god that sounds terrible. But I like garlic pickles on my tacos, so to each his own I guess.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 04:25:56 PM »
I think the guiness and pb and j sounds awesome

I am affectionately referring to it as an irish pop tart

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 04:26:24 PM »

HA!! That sounds deliciously racist. LOL

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 04:28:50 PM »
I think I just invented a drink too, like a Guiness with a shot of Midori maybe dropped in Boilermaker style.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 04:31:46 PM »

Henceforth it is to be know as such!!!! You Rule!!

I'm saying to everyone I know to give it time, it's only the second week of the new season. My friend last night was all pissed off that they weren't answering questions, and I had to tell her to calm down about it. Now, if they get to the middle of the season and they are still doing this with out explaining certain nuances of the time travel, then I'm right there with you Stagger, just like Guiness and open faced Peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches. My god that sounds terrible. But I like garlic pickles on my tacos, so to each his own I guess.

I agree it is very early on, the main reason I have said it (a few times) is to figure out if it is defined thus...Most of the folk 'round here have much better eyes than I during the epi's...am I missing something that explained it? That's my paradox, hehehe (amongst many other issues, some able to be controlled with medication....)

With the wealth of info last night, though I have to say I am sated for a bit...

F. Bacon

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 08:12:04 PM »
Really though, be it linear or cyclical time, Locke visited, told Alpert you told me I am the leader...he had no idea of this previously, he now has some weird guy saying this to him, whom then disappears with a bunch of other people, one of which told them how to take care of a problem they had (Jughead). This guy gave him a compass, a birthdate, mentioned Jacob then *blink* he's gone....

So Alpert, knowing all this goes off to find him as a child, how they choose their leader, but Locke the kid screws up, Alpert gets frustrated, thinks maybe he (Locke) was wrong or not ready, they run into Ben later on, he seems right....

I know what you mean about it being a chicken & the egg paradox.

However... Matthew Abaddon pushed Locke towards the Island. He seems to be outside of this loop; for now.

Offline xrayeck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 08:58:14 PM »
I'm saying to everyone I know to give it time, it's only the second week of the new season. My friend last night was all pissed off that they weren't answering questions, and I had to tell her to calm down about it.
Maybe your friend should watch "Jughead" again as it actually provided a huge clue to answering MOST of our questions. That clue is the apparent paradox that's the subject of this thread.
How did Richard manage to attend Locke's birth? Because Future Locke told him about it.
How did Hurley get The Numbers? From Leonard. How did Leonard get them? He and Sam Toomey heard them on the shortwave. How did the broadcaster get them? Someone from the future gave them to him.
It becomes less of a paradox, though, if you can try to shake your inclination to think of time as a vertical line with a point on that line being "the present."

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2009, 09:08:47 PM »
so how many of these weird little kinks are there with the numbers the compass/birth thing...

I do not like the word paradox, kink in the line fits better....

F. Bacon