Author Topic: the 1954 happening?  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
the 1954 happening?
« on: January 28, 2009, 11:23:06 PM »

So, in 1954, did Locke's visit with the other survivors start the chain reaction that is Lost?

What happened when the flash came and these "prisoners" disappeared?

Did fate collect them on a plane and deliver them?
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline vickilynn

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: the 1954 happening?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 11:24:17 PM »

So, in 1954, did Locke's visit with the other survivors start the chain reaction that is Lost?

I can't even decide on "which came first, the chicken or the egg?"
I can't even start to contemplate that one!

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 11:24:48 PM »
I don't understand your question

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 11:27:25 PM »
I REALLY want to know who Abbadon works for now. 

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 11:31:53 PM »
I don't understand your question

Neither do I, that's why I asked it?

Really though, be it linear or cyclical time, Locke visited, told Alpert you told me I am the leader...he had no idea of this previously, he now has some weird guy saying this to him, whom then disappears with a bunch of other people, one of which told them how to take care of a problem they had (Jughead). This guy gave him a compass, a birthdate, mentioned Jacob then *blink* he's gone....

So Alpert, knowing all this goes off to find him as a child, how they choose their leader, but Locke the kid screws up, Alpert gets frustrated, thinks maybe he (Locke) was wrong or not ready, they run into Ben later on, he seems right....

F. Bacon

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 11:34:03 PM »
I am sure that is why he went to see Locke at the hospital and that they kept an eye on Locke.

Seems to started Lockes journey, not sure about eveyone elses.

Offline Lottery Ticket

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 11:47:27 PM »
Other than Locke telling them his their leader, there is no reason to believe that he is. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.  If Locke did not choose correctly to be the Others leader, then what object did Ben choose that propelled him into this position.  That's a scene I'd like to see.  I don't think Locke is the leader. I think another O6, aaron, walt, or Ji Yeon will get a chance at some grouping of objects.  So, what objects are laying around the island would connect, say Hurley?  What did Jack have in his possession that he might recognize if he was given the test as a little boy? Kate? A plane, maybe?

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 12:01:10 AM »

Would Alpert have gone to look for Locke had Locke not "flashed" in and told him to?

F. Bacon

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »

Would Alpert have gone to look for Locke had Locke not "flashed" in and told him to?

Austin Powers eyes just crossed.

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 01:38:17 AM »

I say no.  There was never a time when Richard went to see Locke without the knowledge of an "old Locke" visiting him and telling him to do so.  Otherwise, what we saw tonight would have changed the future, and that's just not possible.  ;)

Offline unitus

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 01:55:22 AM »

I think so. I think this episode is MONSTER important for that reason. That run-in with those others kick started EVERYTHING. It gave Ellie a peek at real time-travel, and probably started her down that path. Locke created "Leader Locke" in Richard's mind, and I'm sure this chance meeting will have some sort of ramification with Widmore (since he was there and all).

I also think that by Daniel telling the Others to bury "Jughead" he created the underground problem that the Swan station had to vent every 108 minutes. I'm sure there was more before (the Black Rock, the four toed statue, smokie) but I think this was the genesis of much that we know of LOST today.

Offline Walkabout V.2

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 10:29:34 AM »
I REALLY want to know who Abbadon works for now. 
The FBI and he is in command of a unit consisting of a criminal/con man, a scientist who is scratches the borderline of insanity and a fiery blonde workaholic. Oh, my mistake different show altogether.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 11:29:51 AM »

Just like in the movie "Minority Report" Tom Cruise's character would have no reason to find that man and kill him until he saw the "Pre-Cog" vision. The vision of him killing that man is what started the chain of events that lead him to kill that man. It is a paradox, it only happened because he saw it happen first.

These are the types of questions/paradoxes that come up with time travel, I think thats why the writers wanted to stay away from it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 12:44:00 PM by Writers_Strike »

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 12:36:57 PM »

Interesting in that they want to avoid those annoying "Heroes" paradoxes, what will they do to untangle this? The answer is there...need to keep peeling away the layers (or just keep watching....)

F. Bacon

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 01:52:31 PM »

I highly highly doubt it, because if this were the case, then they might as well have had the words "THE END" scroll across the screen the same way the title does. Plus, that would have left out so many answers. I mean hell, we still don't actually know the whole story behind Jacob.