Author Topic: Charles Widmore was an "other"  (Read 10330 times)

Offline gjohnson

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Widmore was an "other"
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2009, 12:25:35 PM »
but does widmore know where it is? Did he send desmond?
I would not be surprised in the least to find out that Widmore put Libby up to giving Des a boat.

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2009, 01:55:31 PM »
I think Widmore knew Des was on the Island. He knew about the Island, he had been to the Island, Des takes libby's boat (who had been on the Island), and des was on Widmore's solo race. Widmore was trying to maroon Des to keep him from Penny. he tried to pay him off, but it didn't work.

I'm sure Widmore knows how they all got off the Island too.

You brought up one of many of my biggest questions. If Charles planed on putting Desmond on that island with that boat then how would he do that if he himself is still looking for the island?
Maybe this is a good topic to start a thread about. ya know?

Good point! If Widmore sent Des he would have to have known where the Island was in 2001. Perhaps the Island wanted Desmond for some weird twist of fate for Widmore. Maybe Widmore knew of a way for the Island to draw an individual in fairly easily, but not allow a freighter full of mercenaries onto the Island. As we have seen, it is not exactly easy for someone to just walk in and takeover the Island.

I am going to further speculate on my two groups of others theory that I have speculated on in another post because your thoughts are playing well into supporting my theory (which in a nutshell is that there are two groups of others, richard alpert others and widmore others, and they are vying for control of the island).

Now, we still don't know what happened after the purge but there is a good chance that the Richothers sent someone to turn the donkey wheel and move the island, which would have completely cut Widmore off.  I don't believe that Widmore has the island's best interest at heart like Richard Alpert does, and that is why Widmore created the Dharma project with Alvar Hanso. The experiments they were conducting hurt the island, and once the purge happened the Richothers took further steps to protect themselves.

Following that line of speculation there is no way that Widmore could have sent Desmond there. I think there is a good chance that annual race of his was a front to see if any boats ever went mysteriously missing in the Pacific to give him a starting point on where to search for the island.

I think the Island drew Desmond to it, to act as a protector of sorts (or who really knows why that Island does anything, it does seem to have a strong survival sense though).

As for how Widmore found the island to send a freighter full of mercenaries, I am guessing the same way that Penny did. Through the Electromagnetic Pulse that the Swan gave when it imploded.

It just all seems to come together for me. The people who know the most about the island want it the worst, and it would only naturally make sense that it would be people who had inhabited the island at some point and were fully aware of its powers.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2009, 02:29:19 PM »
Desmond goes to Daniel in 1996 and tells him that they both are on the island in 2004.
Widmore finances Daniel's work. So when he tells Desmond about the racecompetition in 2001,
he allready knows that Desmond is going to end on the island.

Offline Mrs Hume

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2009, 05:11:33 PM »
Desmond goes to Daniel in 1996 and tells him that they both are on the island in 2004.
Widmore finances Daniel's work. So when he tells Desmond about the racecompetition in 2001,
he allready knows that Desmond is going to end on the island.

oooooh yes !!!!! that is right! (but which comes first Desmond  gets on the island first or widmore puts him there? was Desmond able to change the future when he went back to the past? thats where this whole sticky paradox comes into question.) but I think that is a good thought. Maybe widmore puts something in the boat that Desmond is on to draw the boat to it. like some type of metal (you know like the black rock had). because that is too much of a coincidence that out of all the other boaters that Desmond is the one who gets on the island.

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2009, 05:17:38 PM »
I think Widmore knew Des was on the Island. He knew about the Island, he had been to the Island, Des takes libby's boat (who had been on the Island), and des was on Widmore's solo race. Widmore was trying to maroon Des to keep him from Penny. he tried to pay him off, but it didn't work.

I'm sure Widmore knows how they all got off the Island too.

You brought up one of many of my biggest questions. If Charles planed on putting Desmond on that island with that boat then how would he do that if he himself is still looking for the island?
Maybe this is a good topic to start a thread about. ya know?

Good point! If Widmore sent Des he would have to have known where the Island was in 2001. Perhaps the Island wanted Desmond for some weird twist of fate for Widmore. Maybe Widmore knew of a way for the Island to draw an individual in fairly easily, but not allow a freighter full of mercenaries onto the Island. As we have seen, it is not exactly easy for someone to just walk in and takeover the Island.

I am going to further speculate on my two groups of others theory that I have speculated on in another post because your thoughts are playing well into supporting my theory (which in a nutshell is that there are two groups of others, richard alpert others and widmore others, and they are vying for control of the island).  that I believe to be true at this point. Once we saw that Widmore was on the island as an other .

Now, we still don't know what happened after the purge but there is a good chance that the Richothers sent someone to turn the donkey wheel and move the island, which would have completely cut Widmore off. I think we are all thinking this person who turned the wheel was widmore and that is why he can't come back like ben. but now they are both trying and when widmore did it they didn't know at that point that once they turned the wheel that person can't come back or i don't think he would have done it. and since then, now they know what happens when they do turn it that is why they kind of know what they have to do. . I don't believe that Widmore has the island's best interest at heart like Richard Alpert does, and that is why Widmore created the Dharma project with Alvar Hanso. The experiments they were conducting hurt the island, and once the purge happened the Richothers took further steps to protect themselves.

Following that line of speculation there is no way that Widmore could have sent Desmond there. I agree, see my last post above. although opgelost does have a good theory, i just don't know if it is correct because i am still confussed about this time travel stuff and so i don't know if he can do something that never happened I think there is a good chance that annual race of his was a front to see if any boats ever went mysteriously missing in the Pacific to give him a starting point on where to search for the island.

I think the Island drew Desmond to it, to act as a protector of sorts (or who really knows why that Island does anything, it does seem to have a strong survival sense though).

As for how Widmore found the island to send a freighter full of mercenaries, I am guessing the same way that Penny did. Through the Electromagnetic Pulse that the Swan gave when it imploded. I think that that is a safe bet.

It just all seems to come together for me. The people who know the most about the island want it the worst, and it would only naturally make sense that it would be people who had inhabited the island at some point and were fully aware of its powers.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 05:20:15 PM by Mrs Hume »

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2009, 05:23:39 PM »
I love that Widmore was an other and I didn't see it coming at all.

It's got me wondering a couple of things:
Maybe Penny was adopted by Widmore like Alex was by Ben
Maybe Annie was Penny's mum
Maybe Annie died in childbirth

Lot of maybe's - I had a better idea when I was reading everyone's posts but I can't string it together now.

lol, that happeneds to me allll the time! lol

Offline Bostonlost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2009, 01:53:45 AM »
About Widmore I don't ha can go back to the Island

I think that he (and maybe Hawkins) moved that Donkey Wheel once before

Lilly: I think Libby was same sort of agent/recruiter for Widmore that Abaddon is

She first puts Desmond in play buy giving him that boat ....I think(know) the boat had a tracking device

All of those boats do now in that race : http://www.sevenoceans.com/SoloAroundTheWorld/BOC.htm

So when Charles last gets a singal??? Maybe Widmore sends Libby and Abaddon out there again getting more clues putting more people into play...Don't fotgot about Leonard Simms...... I think Libby goes to watch Leonard at the Santa Rosa Mental Health Institute and finds Hurley instead....Widmore gets that last signal from the plane and sends out the Boat

Not before he has Abondan, puts that team together

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2009, 06:58:51 AM »
I don't think Widmore sends Des to the island. Mrs. Hawking did with brother Campbell.

Campbell finds Des k.o on the street and takes him to the monastery. He becomes a monk.
Campbell said : For whatever reason, your path has led you here. Now you are one of us. (us like Mr. Hawking and him?)
Maybe that is why he is special and the rules don't apply to him.
Later Des tells Ruth that he knew he was supposed to go with brother Campbell for a greater calling. When Des gets fired Cambell said: God has different plans than you be a monk, bigger plans. Do whatever comes next. And than he meets Penny.

When Des wants to marry Penny mrs. Hawking comes and reminds him of his destiny and convinces him that he has no choice,
because the universe coursecorrecting etc. Desmond allready knew he had to go to the island, because of his flashes.
I never understood if Des was really reliving his life after turning the key or if it just was a flash back like all the others and Des, like
on the island and in the army, allready had flashes of the future (now he is one of them he sees what is going to happen, like mr. hawking and the man with the red shoes) and knew he had to go on that race and sacrifice his relationship with Penny (brother Campbell: don't underestimate the value of sacrifice.)

There was no tracking device on Desmond's boat, he was there for 3 years before the freighter came.
But Desmond caused everything. By following Kelvin and not pushing the button he caused the oceanic plane to crash.
By turning the key, he caused the island to become visible for Widmore. By contacting Penny he caused the oceanic 6 to be rescued.
By contacting Daniel in 1996 he caused Widmore to know that he would make it to the island and Dan would make it too.
I have no idea what Widmore knows and how he uses Des, but I don't believe he was the one sending him to the island.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2009, 09:14:37 PM »
As someone who was an ohter for such a long time I hope they bring his background to the foreground.

I mean if you want to take the other side of the coin here Widmore is protecting the same island but with a different force and approach.

where as Ben claims to be the island keeper but just doesn't have the same gusto.

hmmm me wonders what else caused the riff between these two amigos ???

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2009, 09:18:14 PM »

I'm wondering if Widmore raped Ellie - or at least forced himself onto her in some way? Why would she ever want to get pregnant after realising that she kills her own son?

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2009, 09:22:35 PM »

I'm wondering if Widmore raped Ellie - or at least forced himself onto her in some way? Why would she ever want to get pregnant after realising that she kills her own son?
or what if they were together, and Charles cheated on her with an outsider to have Penny, and Ben buddied up with Eloise to support him in his ousting of Widmore!

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2009, 09:33:17 AM »

Or like the Lil' Myles guy, Lil' Dan was already in the camp when Traveler Dan visits...
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon