Author Topic: Charles Widmore was an "other"  (Read 8506 times)

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Widmore was an "other"
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2009, 05:08:14 AM »
Wasn't this a great WTF moment? I love when Lost comes out with some crazy idea like Widmore being an Other. It almost seems inconceivable to think that Widmore had a past among the Others on the island, and now he's trying his hardest just to find it again. Which leaves us wondering: 1) How did Widmore end up on the island and what was his role there?, 2) What happened to cause him to leave and why is he trying to go back?, 3) Is he aware of the shennanigans that occured on the island to date, including Desmond's brief stint?, and 4) What was with the Oceanic cover up and the botched Freighter mission? All I can remember is Ben saying to Locke that somehow Widmore "changed the rules". Widmore's obviously got a history with Ben and the island, guess we just have to wait to find out.

The thing that gets me is that Charles Widmore killed one of his people. Locke refused to shoot him on the basis that he was "one of my (locke's) people" and yet Widmore was so quick to kill his fellow Other when he was about to give away the location of their camp. Not very Other-like if you tell me. So how does/did Widmore factor in as an Other, let alone become one?

Offline lolocke

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2009, 05:17:21 AM »
Desmond has a very Greek mythology air about him ....

just an observation not tied to anything, but they had him sporting a very 1980's Dr. Who look in this episode...

Offline Blitz Wing

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 05:52:12 AM »
Maybe Whitmore gets kicked off the Island for killing one of his own....doesn't he get "Marked" for that like Juliette did?

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2009, 10:25:58 AM »
Wasn't this a great WTF moment? I love when Lost comes out with some crazy idea like Widmore being an Other. It almost seems inconceivable to think that Widmore had a past among the Others on the island, and now he's trying his hardest just to find it again. Which leaves us wondering: 1) How did Widmore end up on the island and what was his role there?, 2) What happened to cause him to leave and why is he trying to go back?, 3) Is he aware of the shennanigans that occured on the island to date, including Desmond's brief stint?, and 4) What was with the Oceanic cover up and the botched Freighter mission? All I can remember is Ben saying to Locke that somehow Widmore "changed the rules". Widmore's obviously got a history with Ben and the island, guess we just have to wait to find out.

The thing that gets me is that Charles Widmore killed one of his people. Locke refused to shoot him on the basis that he was "one of my (locke's) people" and yet Widmore was so quick to kill his fellow Other when he was about to give away the location of their camp. Not very Other-like if you tell me. So how does/did Widmore factor in as an Other, let alone become one?

What do you mean not other like to Kill?

Mikail smoked bea klugh at her request because she did not want to be tortured to give up info,  Widmore knew the little nancy boy he was with was about to give out pertinent info so he did what the other have to do in that case.

nevermind the fact that they eventually tracked him down and fond the camp asfter all.

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2009, 10:28:53 AM »
This is interesting, as TPTB have said Richard has no interest in running the isle, and he just told Locke that "We have a very specific way of choosing a leader..."

Just whom is in charge right now? er, then, 1954...Alpert seems to be in charge, but his posture seemed to be more that of a Lieutenant than a General...

Jacob?

I do not think so, but that is a possibility....

im thinking there is someone between richard and jacob even then because richard made the comment about chain of command

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2009, 10:38:28 AM »
This is interesting, as TPTB have said Richard has no interest in running the isle, and he just told Locke that "We have a very specific way of choosing a leader..."

Just whom is in charge right now? er, then, 1954...Alpert seems to be in charge, but his posture seemed to be more that of a Lieutenant than a General...

Jacob?

I don't think Richard appears to be in power - to me it appears he has the same role that he had while Ben was in power. Perhaps we have not yet met the person who is in power during this time.

Offline JMart

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2009, 10:55:50 AM »
the person in command at this time is going to be hanso :D

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2009, 11:56:04 AM »
Widmore getting booted off for bad behavior is a good theory. 

We know Richard leaves once to visit baby John and then again to presumably set up Mittelos Labs.  In his absence Widmore could have seized control of the gang.  You could tell there was already tension between him and Richard over John plus the fact that he has no problem at all killing his 'other' partner.

Offline sbigras

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2009, 02:58:18 PM »
Charles Widmore was an other... that was the best OMG moment of the episode.

It seems likely that Widmore is selected as leader of takes over leadership of the others sometime after 1954.

It also seems that the islands capacity to move through time and space is a defence mechanism allowing it to remain unknown to the rest of the world or to escape unwanted guests... the only catch is it requires someone to sacrifice themselves.  They then find themselves trapped in regular time and space unable to return to the island.

I postulate that Jacob selects Ben to become the new leader of the others after the Dharma purge and forces Widmore to move the island to prevent the off island Dharma Initiative from sending people to investigate or begin the initiative again.  This scenario repeats itself again with Jacob selecting Locke to become the new leader at the expense of Ben to save the island from being discovered by Widmore.

I also think that Widmore is more than a little aware of the plan to get the Oceanic 6 back to the island.  He provides Daniel's mother's adress to Desmond in the hope that they will succesfully locate the island, even temporarily, so that the Oceanic 6 are allowed to return.  He knows her from the island in 1954 and has been supporting her and her son's research in the event that the islands position can be calculated.  This would represent another opportunity for Widmore to return to the island.

Offline Mrs Hume

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2009, 04:17:59 PM »
Charles Widmore was an other... that was the best OMG moment of the episode.

It seems likely that Widmore is selected as leader of takes over leadership of the others sometime after 1954.

It also seems that the islands capacity to move through time and space is a defence mechanism allowing it to remain unknown to the rest of the world or to escape unwanted guests... the only catch is it requires someone to sacrifice themselves.  They then find themselves trapped in regular time and space unable to return to the island.

I postulate that Jacob selects Ben to become the new leader of the others after the Dharma purge and forces Widmore to move the island to prevent the off island Dharma Initiative from sending people to investigate or begin the initiative again.  This scenario repeats itself again with Jacob selecting Locke to become the new leader at the expense of Ben to save the island from being discovered by Widmore.

I also think that Widmore is more than a little aware of the plan to get the Oceanic 6 back to the island.  He provides Daniel's mother's adress to Desmond in the hope that they will succesfully locate the island, even temporarily, so that the Oceanic 6 are allowed to return.  He knows her from the island in 1954 and has been supporting her and her son's research in the event that the islands position can be calculated.  This would represent another opportunity for Widmore to return to the island.

and maybe find his daughter as a bonus! excellent! I like this post alot!

& welcome!!!!! ;D

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2009, 04:23:12 PM »
Very interesting...was Widdy around during the Purge?  Was he seen during that epi?
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline userh6478

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2009, 06:42:40 PM »
OMG..WHAT IF DESMOND IS WHITEMORES SON...THATS WHY HE DIDN'T WANT HIM TO BE WITH PENNY BECAUSE THE ARE SIBLINGS.LOL..DO WE EVEN KNOW WHO DESMOND'S PARENTS ARE????????

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2009, 07:01:59 PM »

Jacob?

I don't think Richard appears to be in power - to me it appears he has the same role that he had while Ben was in power. Perhaps we have not yet met the person who is in power during this time.

I agree. Richard seems to have consigliere written all over him.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2009, 07:49:46 PM »
OMG..WHAT IF DESMOND IS WHITEMORES SON...THATS WHY HE DIDN'T WANT HIM TO BE WITH PENNY BECAUSE THE ARE SIBLINGS.LOL..DO WE EVEN KNOW WHO DESMOND'S PARENTS ARE????????

OMG!!!

I think you may be right. Faraday and Desmond could be brothers or half-brothers.

Maybe Faraday is "evil" and Desmond is "good". And by "good" and "evil", I mean that Faraday is always doomed to do the wrong thing (at others' expense) and Desmond is always doomed to do the right thing (at his own expense).

It'd explain why Ms. Hawking told Desmond not to marry Penny - she's family!!!

I'm thinking that Desmond is the son of Ms. Hawking and ...dunno. And Faraday is the son of Ms. Hawking and Charles. Penny could be the daughter of Charles and yet another female.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2009, 07:53:57 PM »
Faraday and Desmond share other similarities too...

http://lost.cubit.net/forum/index.php?topic=7881.msg395265#msg395265