Author Topic: Charles Widmore was an "other"  (Read 12306 times)

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Widmore was an "other"
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 11:36:29 PM »
I think that Widmore gets frustrated with Richard going to find young John.  He then tries to become the one in charge and that is why Richard talks young Ben to take over Widmores spot.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 11:41:42 PM »
Ben did say that he didn't order the purge, their leader did. Does that mean Richard, Jacob, or Widmore?

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 11:44:51 PM »
I think that Widmore gets frustrated with Richard going to find young John.  He then tries to become the one in charge and that is why Richard talks young Ben to take over Widmores spot.

This I like.....

Guiness and PBJ openfaced is coming your way, courtesy the Hanso Catering Service...
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 11:49:18 PM »
"if it didn't happen, it can't happen"

it explains why Locke and Sawyer never shot him when he ran. He'd be dead.

AHA!
 "He's one of my people"

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 11:57:50 PM »
Any theory about who became leader and how and why has to include Widmore leaving the island at some point ... with enough time to get to civilization, get married, and have Penny (who, I assume, was not born on the island).

The actress playing Penny was born in '74, so let's assume that's about right for Penny too. So, Widmore has to be gone from the island presumably around the early '70s.... right around the time Ben comes into power and purges the Others?? (Do we have a year on that?)

Hard to believe the two events aren't connected somehow.

ALSO ... It's TOUGH to get off the island and you can't do it on your own. Someone in charge has to orchestrate it. OR he turned the wheel and got whisked off on his own. It's highly likely that, while Candle and his crew were discovering all the secrets of the Orchid, Widmore somehow was involved in a wheel-turning that sent him off the island for good.

And ever since then he's been miffed....

Offline Bostonlost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 12:40:57 AM »
So is this a fight between Richard and Widmore?

His Uni said Jones did the hostiles/others take the clothes?

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 12:51:50 AM »
So is this a fight between Richard and Widmore?

His Uni said Jones did the hostiles/others take the clothes?

maybe they took the U.S. military clothes.

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 01:20:37 AM »
yeah, we know how they LOVE disguises.

Offline Bostonlost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 01:30:41 AM »
So did Widmore know that Desmond was on the Island?

If he sent the frieghter...and Naomi was on the chopper and had a picture of Penny and Des....

Add in the fact the Hawkins tells Des that his job in life just might be to be on and Island pushing buttons

It's confusing (understatement)

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 01:33:00 AM »
At this point, I think Charles absolutely had to know Desmond would end up on the island.  Perhaps more things will happen, when/if Desmond returns to the island with the others, that will make Widmore have more awareness of it all.

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 01:35:02 AM »
I think Widmore knew Des was on the Island. He knew about the Island, he had been to the Island, Des takes libby's boat (who had been on the Island), and des was on Widmore's solo race. Widmore was trying to maroon Des to keep him from Penny. he tried to pay him off, but it didn't work.

I'm sure Widmore knows how they all got off the Island too.

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 01:47:02 AM »
Actually, and I just thought of this so it might not actually make sense, perhaps young Widmore learns about how Desmond is "special" and the rules don't apply to him.  So future Charles does everything he can to keep Penny away from Desmond because he's worried Desmond will change something that could negatively affect his daughter.

Offline Bostonlost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 02:07:42 AM »
Actually, and I just thought of this so it might not actually make sense, perhaps young Widmore learns about how Desmond is "special" and the rules don't apply to him.  So future Charles does everything he can to keep Penny away from Desmond because he's worried Desmond will change something that could negatively affect his daughter.

Or things are predestined and other worldly

Desmond has a very Greek mythology air about him ....

If you look at his life he is Odysseus lost at sea never finding his way home...Even fighting with a cyclopes

I mean using the myth of a Island in the world and on this Island there are men who keep time constant

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 03:09:57 AM »
I'm still not sold on everyone thinking that somehow this time traveling stuff is changing the future.  Because how did Locke end up on the island if he had to go back in time to tell Richard to look for him just to fail the test and still set him on a path to go to the island.  It's chicken on the egg stuff and I don't think it fits the time travel rules laid out.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2009, 03:33:37 AM »
I'm still not sold on everyone thinking that somehow this time traveling stuff is changing the future.  Because how did Locke end up on the island if he had to go back in time to tell Richard to look for him just to fail the test and still set him on a path to go to the island.  It's chicken on the egg stuff and I don't think it fits the time travel rules laid out.

Yes its hard to understand but remember how Daniel said if it did not happen it cannot happen.  Well with Locke it did happen therefore it can happen.

You cant think of time as linear.  Time occurs because of the expansion of the universe.  In reality the only way to go back in time is if you can shrink the universe but the thing is you would go back in time to a place where you were younger not really your body going back in time.  Then when you are an adult you will invent away to go back in time again so it would be stuck in this big loop.  And for some reason I think that is what is happening in the world on Lost.  I say that the world itself is stuck in this big loop,  but the island or people like Richard for some reason are invulnerable to this time loop.  So the island keeps going through time like it should and Richard just keeps getting older and stays alive.