Poll

Did Ms. Hawking Lie To Desmond When She Explained To Him That Whatever Will Be, Will Be?

No. We've had evidence that this is the case (such as Charlie dying)
Yes. We've seen things change seemingly at random (like picture frames in the background etc.)
Maybe. Perhaps this was once the case and Hawking was genuinely mistaken as other forces she was unaware of have now allowed changes to occur
No. Any perceived changes only occur in a parallel dimension which appears to be our own, but isn't.
Yes. Faraday is also fibbing to the other Losties, in order to minimise any major disruption to the space-time continuum

Author Topic: Ms. Hawking's Explanation Of "Course Correction"  (Read 4924 times)

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Ms. Hawking's Explanation Of "Course Correction"
« on: January 25, 2009, 07:21:37 AM »
The reveal that Ms. Hawking and Ben know each other changes everything in my mind.

Was she lying to Desmond? If so, why? Could he have saved Charlie? Could the theory of "Course Correction" even be plausible? Isn't it more likely that anytime a time traveller makes changes in the past, that a new parallel dimension is created?

Was Hawking's advice to Desmond in Desmond's best interests; or to further own agenda, or Ben's?

Offline Matt_at_TSH

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ms. Hawking's Explanation Of "Course Correction"
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 11:30:01 AM »
I always thought Ms Hawkings speach to Desmond was a bit strange. Why would she go to such lengths to explain to Desmond that he cannot change things..?  Seriously, why bother? He cant change anything... right? But then Farady drops the hammer in "Because you left", explaining that Desi is "special". I know alot of people have issues with the whole Daniel/Desmond scene because of how Faraday berated Sawyer about him wasting his time. I am going to assume that Faraday needs to keep the whole Desmond being "special" under wraps. As for why desmond is special? I guess we will see. "dun dun duuuuuun"

Offline Will H

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 11:44:24 AM »
isn't the reason why Daniel thinks Des is special because of Des being his anchor if he goes nuts once he leaves the island??

Offline Mrs Hume

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 02:31:52 PM »
Here is what we know already. Dan referred to his book before he decided to knock on the hatch door. hummm. Desmond already knows about the time travel and experienced it already with Dan. also, Desmond already brought knowledge back to Dan via time travel. so that could make him special in itself.  Des is Dans anchor but not the other way around. Penny is Desmond's.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 05:28:22 PM »
I know this might not belong in here but what would happen if the island goes just a little back in time to where Charlie is alive and then he stays with the group and they go back to Dharma days.  Does that mean Charlie is back

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 07:37:46 PM »
I know this might not belong in here but what would happen if the island goes just a little back in time to where Charlie is alive and then he stays with the group and they go back to Dharma days.  Does that mean Charlie is back
According to daniel's explanation and Hawkins and Pierre changs this can not happen. There are rules, you can not go back and kill Hitler, you can not change the past,If something did changed, then the universe would course correct.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 09:13:15 PM »
There are rules...and there is proportion.  I do not expect them to explain the universe in setting up the context for their story.  I mean, we don't watch Superman and then expect men in tights to rescue us, or for scientists to discover an occurrence of Krypton.  The rules are for the characters in this story.  Daniel is saying that their lives are controllable by them only to a point.  The island is acting on them.  The writers are working hard to explain this particular phenomenon in order to dramatically affect the characters.  It's the "What For" that is more important than the "Why" or "How".

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 03:04:48 PM »
Hmmmm.  Guess I should just throw away my tights, then, and quit saving people.....

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 05:37:22 PM »
Hmmmm.  Guess I should just throw away my tights, then, and quit saving people.....
gigglesnort!

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 05:51:11 PM »
I'm such a weenie -- I voted "maybe" because I liked the idea that it used to be that way but something has happened to change things.  I'm thinking that "something" must have something to do with our Losties, or else why have the TV show?   :)

One thought on the last option (that perhaps any lies are intended to minimize any significant disruptions to the space-time continuum) -- if that's it, it's not working very well, is it?  Desmond knew he'd been told you can't change things, and he "knew" Charlie was going to die, yet he continued to try to save him.  True, he almost did it half-heartedly because he feared he would be ultimately unsuccessful, but he tried anyway.  Human nature being what it is, I wouldn't think a lie like that would be destined to succeed.  And both Faraday and Mrs. Hawking seem to be pretty smart, so I wouldn't think they would try something pretty much guaranteed to fail.

Offline lostboy99

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 07:43:38 PM »
I'm looking more into this axis mundi thing i heard about from al trautwig. anyone know more about this?

Offline Matt_at_TSH

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 04:45:08 AM »
If it has anything to do with Anima Mundi (soul of the world, not the movie), I know a bit about that. A while back in season 4 I pondered a theory that ties the scientific, philosophical and religious conotations in the show to the singular thematic of eternal recurrance. I proposed that Dharmas goal was to use the power of the island (Gaia) to end the cycle of eternal recurrance thus breaking the shackles of time allowing humanity to evolve. Maybe I will post it up if yall are interested. The thing is, its really long... It began to feel so convoluted, I gave up on it. Maybe I can get by with a lil help from my friends.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 09:30:38 PM »
Okay... In the latest episode, "316" she said that unless the circumstances of the original flight were replicated perfectly, ''The result would be unpredictable.''

???

How can a result be unpredictable if it were pre-destined?

Desmond's finally got the old bag's number! She is lying!!!

Offline Will H

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 05:19:33 AM »
Okay... In the latest episode, "316" she said that unless the circumstances of the original flight were replicated perfectly, ''The result would be unpredictable.''

???

How can a result be unpredictable if it were pre-destined?

Desmond's finally got the old bag's number! She is lying!!!

We dont that yet Desmond still could have been and the plane!

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »
 IF anything happend to either Penny or Charlie, you KNOW Desmond is going back to that island to get Ben. Ben knows this. Desmond might just go back to Mrs Hawking. She might help Desmond go back but in his own "special " way.  :-\

Maybe Ben took Charlie and Penny tried to stop him and that is why he is bloody.  ??? :-\