Author Topic: Get out the old vinyls  (Read 1046 times)

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Get out the old vinyls
« on: January 24, 2009, 05:08:50 PM »
Holy smokes!  I just went to Wikipedia to read about the old rotations per minute of vinyl records, and found this stuff.  After I post this, I'm going to go get some fresh air, cause I've got Lost head!  I italicized the stuff that made me go 'hmm' and 'whoa!'

From Wikipedia:
Vinyl records are much more vulnerable to being scratched than CDs. With a record, a scratch can cause popping sounds with each revolution when the needle meets the scratch mark. Deeper scratches can cause the needle to jump out of the groove altogether. If jumping ahead to a groove further inward, information gets skipped. And if jumping outward to the groove it just finished playing it can repeat in an infinite loop, serving as the simile for things that continuously repeat ("like a broken record").

The large surface area of the record, being vinyl and therefore susceptible to becoming statically charged, pulls dust and smoke suspended particles out of the air, also causing crackles, pops and (in worst cases of contamination) distortion during playback. Records may be cleaned before playing, using record cleaner and/or antistatic record cleaning fluid and anti-static pads. [1]

The average LP has about 1,600 feet of groove on each side, or about a third of a mile. The needle travels approximately 1 mph on average. It travels fastest on the outside edge, unlike most audio CDs, which change their speed of rotation to provide constant linear velocity (CLV). (Also, CDs play from the inner radius outward, the reverse of phonograph records.)

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Get out the old vinyls
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 09:27:42 PM »
And...
On the Led Zeppelin IV version of Stairway to Heaven, if you run it backwards at the"bussel in your hedgerow" part you may hear something you didn't quite expect. 8)

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 03:27:01 PM »
turn me on dead man

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 10:10:22 PM »
Holy smokes!  I just went to Wikipedia to read about the old rotations per minute of vinyl records, and found this stuff.  After I post this, I'm going to go get some fresh air, cause I've got Lost head!  I italicized the stuff that made me go 'hmm' and 'whoa!'

From Wikipedia:
Vinyl records are much more vulnerable to being scratched than CDs. With a record, a scratch can cause popping sounds with each revolution when the needle meets the scratch mark. Deeper scratches can cause the needle to jump out of the groove altogether. If jumping ahead to a groove further inward, information gets skipped. And if jumping outward to the groove it just finished playing it can repeat in an infinite loop, serving as the simile for things that continuously repeat ("like a broken record").

The large surface area of the record, being vinyl and therefore susceptible to becoming statically charged, pulls dust and smoke suspended particles out of the air, also causing crackles, pops and (in worst cases of contamination) distortion during playback. Records may be cleaned before playing, using record cleaner and/or antistatic record cleaning fluid and anti-static pads. [1]

The average LP has about 1,600 feet of groove on each side, or about a third of a mile. The needle travels approximately 1 mph on average. It travels fastest on the outside edge, unlike most audio CDs, which change their speed of rotation to provide constant linear velocity (CLV). (Also, CDs play from the inner radius outward, the reverse of phonograph records.)

nice, but it left out CD's don't really need clv, since they have memory to prevent skipping.