Author Topic: Locke not Knowing Richard  (Read 11643 times)

Offline Alex2000

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Locke not Knowing Richard
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 11:56:40 PM »
but if Richard isn't a time traveler then how come he is the same age when locke was born and then when he tested him?

I think the general consensus has been that Richard just doesn't age, but that we just don't know why. Maybe none of the island natives do. Maybe they live forever (or at least hundreds of years). Which is why the population of "others" can be maintained even though they can't have children.

Maybe Locke goes WAAAAAAY back in time before Richard ever became aware of Lockes existence.  OOh maybe that's HOW Richard becomes aware of his existence.

Either that or just after Richard visits Locke as a child.

Remember that when Richard visits the child Locke "he tested Locke by presenting him with a baseball glove, a book of laws, a vial of sand, a compass, a comic book, and a knife. Locke was asked to identify which of these items were "already" his. Richard was pleased when Locke chose the compass and vial of sand, and smiled slightly as the child considered the book, but Locke ultimately chose the knife." (from lostpedia).

I think the timeline looks somethings like this:

1) Locke is timeshifted back to the early 50s. (It might have already happened. Don't you think that the uniforms and weapons of the soldiers that Juliet, Sawyer and finally Locke were fighting looked like they were WW2 era?). Locke tells Richard to help him in the (very) distant future with his wound.

2) Locke meets Richard for the "first" time (keeping in mind that Richard doesn't age). Using the compass to prove who he is (somehow).
   Richard visits Locke as a baby in 1956 then again as a child in 1961 where the compass is one of the items shown to him.

3) [Pre-Oceanic 815 Crash, but Post-Dharma genocide and Ben's takeover] Locke appears before Ethan who then confronts him. Ethan would obviously tell Richard about this encounter (confirming what Locke told Richard in the "past").

4) Oceanic 815 Crashes, events of season 1 to 4 take place, Locke takes over the others. 

5) Ben turns wheel, things go nuts, Richard watches the crashed plane sight for the "foretold" appearance of the wounded Locke.

As I said earlier, points 1 and 2 could be reversed and it would all still work.

Offline Hurley rocks dudes

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 12:00:27 AM »
but if Richard isn't a time traveler then how come he is the same age when locke was born and then when he tested him?

I think the general consensus has been that Richard just doesn't age, but that we just don't know why. Maybe none of the island natives do. Maybe they live forever (or at least hundreds of years). Which is why the population of "others" can be maintained even though they can't have children.

Maybe Locke goes WAAAAAAY back in time before Richard ever became aware of Lockes existence.  OOh maybe that's HOW Richard becomes aware of his existence.

Either that or just after Richard visits Locke as a child.

Remember that when Richard visits the child Locke "he tested Locke by presenting him with a baseball glove, a book of laws, a vial of sand, a compass, a comic book, and a knife. Locke was asked to identify which of these items were "already" his. Richard was pleased when Locke chose the compass and vial of sand, and smiled slightly as the child considered the book, but Locke ultimately chose the knife." (from lostpedia).

I think the timeline looks somethings like this:

1) Locke is timeshifted back to the early 50s. (It might have already happened. Don't you think that the uniforms and weapons of the soldiers that Juliet, Sawyer and finally Locke were fighting looked like they were WW2 era?). Locke tells Richard to help him in the (very) distant future with his wound.

2) Locke meets Richard for the "first" time (keeping in mind that Richard doesn't age). Using the compass to prove who he is (somehow).
   Richard visits Locke as a baby in 1956 then again as a child in 1961 where the compass is one of the items shown to him.

3) [Pre-Oceanic 815 Crash, but Post-Dharma genocide and Ben's takeover] Locke appears before Ethan who then confronts him. Ethan would obviously tell Richard about this encounter (confirming what Locke told Richard in the "past").

4) Oceanic 815 Crashes, events of season 1 to 4 take place, Locke takes over the others. 

5) Ben turns wheel, things go nuts, Richard watches the crashed plane sight for the "foretold" appearance of the wounded Locke.

As I said earlier, points 1 and 2 could be reversed and it would all still work.

very good explanation... i completely agree with this

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 12:04:37 AM »
Sounds good, Alex.  I can't see any holes in your ideas.

Offline Alex2000

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 12:21:46 AM »
Thanks  ;)

Can someone confirm that the compass shown to lock in 1961 is the same that Richard gave him in Season 5?

Alex

Offline Hurley rocks dudes

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 12:25:19 AM »
i think someone might have tried. i can't remember which compasses they compared...

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 12:28:49 AM »
According to Lostpedia, it's the same compass in both episodes ("Cabin Fever" & "Because You Left").

Offline Gmonkey

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 02:28:56 AM »
Its clear that Richard has known about Locke for a while (at least his birth). So wouldn't it make sense that he wouldn't recgnize Locke - if he WASN'T Locke?!?! - like if he was Jeremy Bentham. And looked completely diffrent than locke but was locke in jeremy benthams body. And with locke giving richard the compass is some kind of confirmation.

I know this is a stretch to do this, but its seems to make sense. I mean if Locke has to die, then he could come back as Jeremy Bentham (might explain the "test" richard did on locke as a boy - maybe there is come kind of reincarnation theme or something????)

am i not aming sense again???? i seem to be getting good at this...

Offline Alex2000

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 02:58:25 AM »
Its clear that Richard has known about Locke for a while (at least his birth). So wouldn't it make sense that he wouldn't recgnize Locke - if he WASN'T Locke?!?! - like if he was Jeremy Bentham. And looked completely diffrent than locke but was locke in jeremy benthams body. And with locke giving richard the compass is some kind of confirmation.

I know this is a stretch to do this, but its seems to make sense. I mean if Locke has to die, then he could come back as Jeremy Bentham (might explain the "test" richard did on locke as a boy - maybe there is come kind of reincarnation theme or something????)

am i not aming sense again???? i seem to be getting good at this...

The only thing I understood from that was the first sentence.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 04:20:27 AM »
I mean if Locke has to die, then he could come back as Jeremy Bentham (might explain the "test" richard did on locke as a boy - maybe there is come kind of reincarnation theme or something????)

I thought Locke was simply using an alias off-Island, purely because he didn't want to blow his friends' cover story of all the other passengers dying?  ???

Offline karatemama

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 11:43:40 AM »
Seems like Richard would know John anywhere/time.  He was there at his birth and again during the "test."  John might not look the same, but I get the feeling he's been watched closely throughout his life.

Or...Richard is lying and he need to throw Locke off by telling him that he wouldn't remember Locke.

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 12:02:04 PM »
I mean if Locke has to die, then he could come back as Jeremy Bentham (might explain the "test" richard did on locke as a boy - maybe there is come kind of reincarnation theme or something????)

I thought Locke was simply using an alias off-Island, purely because he didn't want to blow his friends' cover story of all the other passengers dying?  ???

You are correct Mango as far as I can tell.  We can see Locke in the coffin so he didn't come back in someone else's body.  That makes no sense whatsoever.

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 12:35:46 PM »
I was thinking about this and one question I have is why did desmond not rememeber speaking to Daniel at the hatch untill three years later, yet Richard knows that Locke will contact him in the future and tell him he is shot and richard remebers that but it has not happened yet?

Also what if the first time that Yemmi's plane crashed was that day locke was walking to find the others, after the island/people started jumping in time, (A little head spinner me thinks but...)  so when Locke/boone actualy saw the plane for the first time, It actually hadnt crashed yet but since it was going to in the past it was there, but the first time it actualy crashed was when the Island moved into its time/space, same thing for the black rock when 815 crashed the boat hadnt come to the island yet but since it will happen in the past it was in the future.  , huh ? huh?  anyone follow me on this?

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2009, 12:57:24 PM »
huh? nope not following

Offline Mrs Hume

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2009, 01:16:18 PM »
I THINK what squirt is saying is that the plane that yemmy was on really first crashed when locke saw it crash last Wednesday. and that when locke first saw the plane with Boone it was a premonition or some sort or fortelling of the future. am I right?

That couldn't be the case because yemmi's brother Eko knew when he left on that plane and knew when he died. and he had died a long time before the 815ers crashed on the island. there are a lot of other reasons i can't think of right now with a head cold...

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2009, 01:25:31 PM »
All of this island jumping to make the beechcraft crash and let's say blackrock points to the fact that there is no free will. It is all predetermined destiny. I have a weird feeling that at some point Jack will have to push some kind of button in the past to make 815 crash. Kind of like the decision he had to make whether or not he would push the Swan's button, episode 2-1 I think.