Author Topic: Locke not Knowing Richard  (Read 9341 times)

Offline Mommainternet

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Locke not Knowing Richard
« on: January 24, 2009, 03:15:49 PM »
Richard tells Locke to hold onto his compass because Richard won't recognize him the next time he sees him and Ethan didn't know who Locke was when he saw him after the island moved.

How come Sawyer and Juliet and all of them still know each other if their plane hasn't gone down yet?

Trying to figure out why Richard wouldn't know Locke.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 03:39:22 PM by Mommainternet »

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Locke not Knowing Richard
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 03:51:50 PM »
Trying to figure out why Richard wouldn't know Locke.

I'm guessing it's because Locke will next meet Richard in Richard's past. Because it happened/will happen in Richard's past, he already had knowledge of it.

All the Losties are bouncing around time, because (presumably) they were all on or around the Island at the time Ben moved the Island.

It's more intriguing that Richard didn't bounce at the same time as Locke did. All the Island's other inhabitants appear to have done so - even the Others' small task force disappeared. I can only deduce that this was Richard in the near-past (after meeting Locke but prior to the Island moving); Richard from the future whom had somehow travelled back (unlikely as the Island's erratic skipping would probably make this impossible); or Richard is outside of time itself. Hmmm...

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 04:48:40 PM »
The survivors all know each other because they are time traveling together in the present, as their current selves.  Their memories aren't being erased. 

Ethan didn't know Locke because Locke time traveled back to a time before they had met.  Ethan and the other "Others" are not time traveling during all of this.  So Locke has run into "past Ethan".  I'm assuming that Locke will time travel to a time before he and Richard ever met, which is why Richard won't know him.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 07:23:24 PM »
Yea.  this was explained or I thought it was explained when Richard said I didnt time travel but you did, or something to that effect.  Basically saying the others do not time travel.  Remember the video that said only fools are trapped by time and space.  Basically to me this means that if you do not know the truth or everything there is to know about the island then you will move in time but if you do know all there is to know about the island then you dont move in time.  Which is why Locke went back to when the Nigerian plane crash that Ethan showed up.  because at that time he was not dead yet.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 09:44:08 PM »
Seems like Richard would know John anywhere/time.  He was there at his birth and again during the "test."  John might not look the same, but I get the feeling he's been watched closely throughout his life.

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 10:43:34 PM »
Seems like Richard would know John anywhere/time.  He was there at his birth and again during the "test."  John might not look the same, but I get the feeling he's been watched closely throughout his life.

That's a good point.  Maybe Locke goes WAAAAAAY back in time before Richard ever became aware of Lockes existence.  OOh maybe that's HOW Richard becomes aware of his existence.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 10:47:44 PM »
I've had a difficult time reconciling this one.  The only possibility I can think of is that Richard doesn't start stalking Locke until after the meeting we've yet to see when Locke gives him the compass.

...just as we had seen the Beechcraft on the Island before it even crashed there.

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 10:59:03 PM »
That's kind of what I said.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 11:16:21 PM »
That's kind of what I said.
ohmygoodness. LOL  I was in my kitchen just now cooking dinner, & I said to myself, "That's what he/she was talking about!"  I immediately put down my cooking spoon, walked straight to the computer, & logged in just to post....

I agree with lostandfree. ;D

Sorry.  I'm slow like that. :D

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 11:21:39 PM »
LOL, no worries :)

I feel so special that you would just drop everything to come and clarify. :P
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 11:23:40 PM by lostandfree »

Offline hatch4815162342

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 11:49:46 PM »
Is i the losties or the island that is moving in time? and is the compass richards constant in some way???????????

Offline Hurley rocks dudes

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 12:55:21 AM »
richard is not a time traveller, he gave locke the compass to show richard in the past that richard knows locke in the future...

(this has really been bothering me for a while so i have to get this out.... why do people always assume that everybody is time-traveling and therefore needs a constant?? only the people who are getting bloody noses and collapsing randomly need constants. last i checked, only desmond is doing that. it looks like charlotted is going the same way. it could happen to daniel but it hasn't happened yet. he wrote that desmond would be his constant if anything went wrong, but it hasn't happened to him yet.... locke isn't time traveling on his own, so he doesn't need a constant.... richard is not time traveling so he doesn't need a constant.....) sorry i had to let it out lol

Offline Mommainternet

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 10:06:49 AM »
What "this is some crazy stuff" and "lostandfree" wrote makes sense.  I have to think about it some more because how would Richard know that he wouldn't recognize Locke the next time they met?

And still wondering just what Richard is in all of this.  Go back and forth in my mind with the theory Richard, Ben, Claire and Christian have all died, but that maybe you can't really die on the island and that's why Ben allows his daughter to be shot.

Need to see a few more episodes to fill in more of the pieces.

Offline Mrs Hume

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 02:39:23 PM »
but if Richard isn't a time traveler then how come he is the same age when locke was born and then when he tested him? Locke wasn't time traveling then. ??? It's hard enough to figure out lost, now with time travel it's going to be almost impossible! ha

also, I agree with lostandfree too. that was my first thought too. he will meet Richard before Richard knew about locke. and from the looks of things , from the coming attractions...... (if you don't watch coming attractions don't read the next line...)   

Richard will still be on the island at that time.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 02:47:33 PM by Mrs Hume »

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 04:15:59 PM »
What "this is some crazy stuff" and "lostandfree" wrote makes sense.  I have to think about it some more because how would Richard know that he wouldn't recognize Locke the next time they met?

And still wondering just what Richard is in all of this.  Go back and forth in my mind with the theory Richard, Ben, Claire and Christian have all died, but that maybe you can't really die on the island and that's why Ben allows his daughter to be shot.

Need to see a few more episodes to fill in more of the pieces.
The producers addressed this idea early in the series.  People are dying on the Island.  The stakes really are that high.