Author Topic: Thread Memory?  (Read 16617 times)

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Thread Memory?
« on: January 23, 2009, 06:49:40 PM »
Does this site have thread memory?  On a few other forum type places I post on I can open a thread and it will automatically take me to the first unread post.  For example if I read through a thread that has ten posts on it and then leave, the next time I come back if there are new posts and I open the thread it will take me to post # 11 where I left off.  This way I don't have to scroll through all the old posts and try to figure out where I left off.  Does this site have that ability?  Is it a setting I can select because as far as I can see there is no thread memory and that would be soooo nice to have.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Thread Memory?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 01:08:06 PM »
Not as far as I know.  One of the mods was drinking one night and turned a failsafe key on sledge's server.  Since then, it's been hit & miss.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 07:17:41 PM »
There are a few ways to use "thread memory" as you call it. When new information is posted, the thread will have a "new" button next to the name. It will also say what the latest post was and by whom. Clicking on either the "new" button or the latest post (but not the person) will take you to the oldest unread post in the thread.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 04:17:04 PM »
Not as far as I know.  One of the mods was drinking one night and turned a failsafe key on sledge's server.  Since then, it's been hit & miss.
You make this mistake one time and they never let you forget about it.

Offline lostandfree

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 06:57:10 PM »
There are a few ways to use "thread memory" as you call it. When new information is posted, the thread will have a "new" button next to the name. It will also say what the latest post was and by whom. Clicking on either the "new" button or the latest post (but not the person) will take you to the oldest unread post in the thread.

Oh my goodness, I had no idea it would do that if you click on the "new" button!  I guess I never tried that.  That is so much easier.  Thanks!

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 09:54:17 PM »

Oh my goodness, I had no idea it would do that if you click on the "new" button!  I guess I never tried that.  That is so much easier.  Thanks!
No problem :)

Offline The_Hatch_Monkey

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 03:06:52 AM »

No problem :)

What 'new' button?  I'm so LOST.  Also, JB, do you know if there is a way to not have a topic show up in your 'new replies' ?  I posted in several threads that I don't care about anymore...like Youtube tunes and such--where I won't post anymore.  Anyway to get those to stop showing up?

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 09:52:54 AM »
I don't believe there is, but if you click "Show unread replies since last visit," then you only have to look at the new replies. Since most of those threads aren't really at the top of everyone's posting list, they'll be less likely to show up. On the other hand, you can just click on it and hit the back button on your browser to return to the unread threads page.

The new button... When there are new replies in a thread, there is a button near the topic name that says new. For instance, "Avatar Troubles - Help! (new)" Click on the (new) and it will bring you right to the correct post.