Author Topic: Hurley is the Hero  (Read 1687 times)

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Hurley is the Hero
« on: January 23, 2009, 02:27:02 PM »
Hurley is toeing two lines that will be everyone's redemption in this mess.  One, he's done lying.  Him telling the real Oceanic 815 story to his mother was not just a therapy breakthrough for him personally.  I suspect that someone disinterested with the events on the island knowing what is really going on is going to be key to the resolution of the story.

And the fact that he broke from Ben was HUGE.  He is right - he's safer in the hands of the law than in the hands of Ben.  I suspect that what he did in that moment is a foreshadowing of what the 6 will have to do once they get back to the island.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: Hurley is the Hero
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 02:29:53 PM »
the fact that he has what seems like even more contact with the dead than Miles does, and Jacob straight up summoned him, He is very special.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 02:30:32 PM »
That is exactly what my better half said last night!

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 01:25:43 PM »
If you were a bystander and he told you the lie and the truth, which would you believe?  The truth makes him sound crazy!  Beyond crazy, upside down biosphere under LA, Chuck & Penny same person crazy.

Ben=hero
Thlay=hero

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 04:25:09 PM »
Asmo=hero, you forgot that one.  ;)

I had a distinct feeling that when Hurley broke out of Ben's grasp at that moment that he helped free all of them to some extent.  Good moment.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 09:17:39 PM »
You could see the point he made his mind up too about Ben.  The hate was strong in him.

Offline thwgt

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 10:08:22 PM »
Hugo is the only truly moral character among the main ones. I can't think of a single instance where he knowingly did wrong except for The Lie and that ate him up. He is so moral that guilt over something he may have caused landed him in a mental institution. He is more in touch with the island than either Locke or Ben, but just doesn't realize it. The island uses dead people to communicate and no one has talked to more dead people than Hurley has. I believe they've deliberately built him up as sort of a comic relief figure to create a "surprise" ending where he's the one whom it's really all about. Think about Richard's words. Who better to "remind us that we're here for a greater purpose" than Hurley? The Others are looking, desperately it seems sometimes, for a leader. Locke is not the one. He "gets it" but he doesn't get it. Hugo is the man.

Offline hatch4815162342

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 11:31:41 PM »
Hugo and i quote said 'we shoulda never left the island" in the one of these two epis. then when he gets a chance to go back he turns into crazy hurley.