Author Topic: Record Physics - Time Skipping  (Read 5015 times)

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Record Physics - Time Skipping
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 06:11:28 AM »
Also... Horace cutting down the tree. Was that an occasion when "the record skipped" too?
no... this was just lockes vision from the island... i don't understand how so many people think it was a time travel thing...

I meant it was a vision of Horace being stuck within a "record skip", not that Locke was "skipping" at the time. Sorry. I should have made myself more clear.

Whatever was up with that tree-chopping vision, it was evidently foreshadowing the "record skipping" plot device they've introduced this season.

Offline I.C.Doan

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 08:45:59 AM »
Perhaps one should bear in mind that, although Daniel, Ben and Pierre Chang may THINK they've got all of this figured out, some of what they think they know may be WRONG.

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 09:24:22 AM »
Perhaps one should bear in mind that, although Daniel, Ben and Pierre Chang may THINK they've got all of this figured out, some of what they think they know may be WRONG.

With at least Danny Boy, I think he's being a good empiricist and thinking in this manner...no more lil' rats in a maze, he gets to run the gamut himself...
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 05:08:55 PM »
so Daniel said that they could either be in the past or the future. Why haven't they been in the future yet?!

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 07:50:32 PM »
so Daniel said that they could either be in the past or the future. Why haven't they been in the future yet?!
We're only 2 episodes in. ;)

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 11:35:51 PM »
Yeah, just wait till the beach is lined up with hotels in a future jump. :)

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 08:53:35 AM »

I stand by my line of reason that the scene with Richard fixing John's leg is in the future, not to sure how long. I come to this conclusion because the losties who stayed at the beach would have grabbed some food, cloths or supplies if the camp was still there. The plane is on the ground, the campsite is no longer there and Richard seems to know of some bad things that have happened since John dissapeared. These clues point to a time after the donkey wheel being turned where the campsite was raided for supplies or the losties join the others and leave their beach.

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 01:20:15 PM »

I stand by my line of reason that the scene with Richard fixing John's leg is in the future, not to sure how long. I come to this conclusion because the losties who stayed at the beach would have grabbed some food, cloths or supplies if the camp was still there. The plane is on the ground, the campsite is no longer there and Richard seems to know of some bad things that have happened since John dissapeared. These clues point to a time after the donkey wheel being turned where the campsite was raided for supplies or the losties join the others and leave their beach.

I agree, I think that was the future too. They were only on the island 108 days or so. There was a lot of growth around that plane, some of it higher than the plane, or at least close to the top. Even if the scene with Boone tipping it happened on day 1(which I realize it wasn't), it looks like a lot more growth than 108 days worth. Also, Richard said "You're friends are off the island" or something (I'll find the exact quote) so it definitely is after the donkey wheel.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 02:53:21 PM »
Richard said "You're friends are off the island" or something (I'll find the exact quote) so it definitely is after the donkey wheel.

that is unless Richard, like Daniel has some knowledge of future events, like a journal

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 05:03:12 PM »
I found this at Lostpedia, but it doesn't say where or by whom these dates are confirmed:

The various time shifts have been dated:

* The first time shift occurs in the late 1990s, a few years before the plane crash, during Mr. Eko's adult life in Nigeria and Ethan Rom's on the island. However, time behaving differently on the Island compared to the outside world can cause some changes.
    * The second shift is January 2005 or later, as Richard Alpert finds Locke and tells him that the Oceanic Six are already home.
    * The third shift happens between 2001 (Desmond crashes onto the island), and September 22, 2004 (Kelvin dies).

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 05:49:11 PM »
I found this at Lostpedia, but it doesn't say where or by whom these dates are confirmed:

* The first time shift occurs in the late 1990s, a few years before the plane crash, during Mr. Eko's adult life in Nigeria and Ethan Rom's on the island. However, time behaving differently on the Island compared to the outside world can cause some changes.
    * The second shift is January 2005 or later, as Richard Alpert finds Locke and tells him that the Oceanic Six are already home.
    * The third shift happens between 2001 (Desmond crashes onto the island), and September 22, 2004 (Kelvin dies).
so the second is in future island time, but i still don't think it's in future off island time.  i think it occurred somewhere BETWEEN 2005-2008.  SO it's not really future.  future to those on the island, but past to those on the mainland.

dude.  i think i started looping myself again.

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 05:53:31 PM »

so the second is in future island time, but i still don't think it's in future off island time.  i think it occurred somewhere BETWEEN 2005-2008.  SO it's not really future.  future to those on the island, but past to those on the mainland.

LOL.
So, in the past-future.... or future-past...   we need some new tenses.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 06:20:03 PM »

LOL.
So, in the past-future.... or future-past...   we need some new tenses.
definitely.  it's all relative!

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 09:34:58 PM »

Thank GOD you cleared that up. I just tried to figure it out in another thread and it was driving me crazy.  :)