Author Topic: Miles: son of Candelwick?  (Read 7228 times)

Offline tonysee200x

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Miles: son of Candelwick?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 04:51:13 PM »
I have no idea when the problems with island pregnancies started.  My guess is post-Purge, because Dharma seemed like it was rolling along pretty smoothly there for awhile, with schools and school-age kids (some of whom could've come to the island like young Ben did, but probably not all?)

When they show Candelwick getting up to feed the baby, The energy from Orchid is not yet built the energy is not yet released. We know this because it is that day he goes to the site and they tell him about all the drill bits failing. My theory is building Orchid and releasing this energy is the start of the having baby's on the island problem.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2009, 09:37:04 PM »

You heard it here first -- The Boar is NOT DEAD!!!!

Bwahahahaha!

My theory is building Orchid and releasing this energy is the start of the having baby's on the island problem.

I can buy that...

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2009, 11:47:28 AM »
I have no idea when the problems with island pregnancies started.  My guess is post-Purge, because Dharma seemed like it was rolling along pretty smoothly there for awhile, with schools and school-age kids (some of whom could've come to the island like young Ben did, but probably not all?)

When they show Candelwick getting up to feed the baby, The energy from Orchid is not yet built the energy is not yet released. We know this because it is that day he goes to the site and they tell him about all the drill bits failing. My theory is building Orchid and releasing this energy is the start of the having baby's on the island problem.
that sounds like a good thought to me!

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2009, 04:38:42 PM »
That really is excellent.  Dharma messing with the island. 

Offline userh6478

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2009, 04:37:52 PM »
LOL.  I think he can just "sense" the presence of dead things, right?  And sense how/when they died?  That's how he knew there was a dead boar laying out there and it was OK to eat because it had only been dead four hours.

It is interesting to wonder what killed it, though.  Wonder if it had a nosebleed?

You Mean three Hours

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2009, 06:47:52 PM »

that sounds like a good thought to me!
yep me three... It's a good storytelling tool with all time travelly/sci fi-ish type stories, you have to go back to change the past/future etc etc but it was ultimately your own actions that caused the problem in the first place. Just watched The Core last weekend - another perfect example. I completely digg that Dharma's noseyness unleashed the 2nd trimester curse, hence their determination to fix it.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2009, 07:14:03 AM »
Miles would've left the island because Chang was warned by Daniel's coming back about the upcoming Purge.  He wanted his son out of it even if he himself was doomed, so he somehow sent him off-island.  At least, that's what I would do.   So if that's it, then Miles grew up off-island raised by someone else (maybe named Straume.)  And maybe the name-change was for his own protection -- Chang didn't want anybody tracking him down, so he arranged for an adoption and name-change.  Again, that's probably what I would do. 

I would say the age is about right, isn't it?  Isn't Miles around 30, give or take?  And Dr. Chang's Barracks Video (with the baby crying in the background) says it will be seen "about 30 years" in the future.

Jin has exactly the right age (born in 1974) an was raised by someone who doesn't know if he is his father.
A woman, that looks a lot like Candle's wife, brought him to mr. Kwon.
But the first time I saw Miles I thought he was Candle's son, because he really looks like a younger version of Candle.

Offline uofapiglet

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2009, 06:04:17 PM »
This show is so super complicated sometimes that it's hard not to jump to the conclusion that certain characters are related... there's always potential there with all those insane character connections that currently exist but I'm still on the fence in this case. It's more likely to me that Mrs. Hawking may be related to Daniel, but if in the end Miles does have some odd connection to Candlewick-Halliwax-Chang-Whatever then I can't really say I'd be surprised.

It goes back to the whole daddy-issues philosophical debate. Are we (or the characters on the show) a product of our fathers (or mothers)? If so, does Miles special ability revolve around the possibility of him being Chang's son?