Author Topic: Miles: son of Candelwick?  (Read 8217 times)

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: Miles: son of Candelwick?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 04:48:39 PM »
Interesting theory, but I doubt that Miles is Chang's son. I have a few superficial reasons for it, none really excellent.

1) Pierre Chang and Miles Straume have different last names. Not big, I know.
2) Pierre is a french name. Miles isn't. Also not big at all.
3) Miles seems to not be the right age to be Pierre's son, but I suppose it's possible.
4) Wasn't there something about pregnancies on the island? hm...

BUT

5) Pierre and Miles have different specialties. Pierre deals mostly with time physics while Miles deals with parapsychology. I would expect that Pierre's son would be more interested in the physics than the psychology.
6) Why would Miles have left the island? OR Why would Miles not have been brought to the island sooner?

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 05:15:29 PM »
Interesting theory, but I doubt that Miles is Chang's son. I have a few superficial reasons for it, none really excellent.

3) Miles seems to not be the right age to be Pierre's son, but I suppose it's possible.

BUT

5) Pierre and Miles have different specialties. Pierre deals mostly with time physics while Miles deals with parapsychology. I would expect that Pierre's son would be more interested in the physics than the psychology.
6) Why would Miles have left the island? OR Why would Miles not have been brought to the island sooner?

Well, the issue about Mile's age, yeah, I see what you're saying there. It's sketchy, but it could work (Miles being ther right age I mean). As for the rest of what you're saying, well, we're not sure when the pregnancy issue started, it could have been before all of this, and Miles was born off island, or it could have been later (more likely in my opinion) and Miles was sent away to keep him out of danger. Possibly his parents were killed and he was orphaned. Which would explain all the name differences. As for the specialties they both study, well, if my theory is correct, then it wouldn't matter what Dr. Chang studied, because Miles would be raised by someone else. He might not have been brought sooner because there was no need for him  to be there before now.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 05:18:52 PM »
Good rebuttal. I still don't think Miles and Chang are related though, at this point.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 05:23:02 PM »
Good rebuttal. I still don't think Miles and Chang are related though, at this point.

Fair enough. I'm just defending my point. I have a theory working that Dan, Charlotte, and Miles are all from the island, and I'm working out the kinks, so Miles being Dr. Chang's son really works for me.

Offline red255

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 05:32:24 PM »
I was thinking last night that the problem didn't seem to surface ( women not being able to give birth) until after the purge. It seems like it is just the other or natural inhabitants of the Island who can not. Juliet was not brought in until after the purge, then last night we saw a baby during the time of the Darma initiative. So Miles and Charlotte could both be children of Darma, didn't Miles once say something to her about knowing what she was searching for? And as for Dan, we saw him when they were digging the Orchid station so how the heck did he get there?

Offline versed4every1

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 05:34:47 PM »
I actually kind of like this idea.  I mean, Cuse said that the DI was there is the late 70s - early 80s rather than the early 70s like I had previously assumed.  So, if Miles was born in 80, that would only make him 28 - 29 years old.  

After all, Miles did decide to stay on Craphole Island for a reason and we have been shown that altruism is not really his forte.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »

BUT

Miles would've left the island because Chang was warned by Daniel's coming back about the upcoming Purge.  He wanted his son out of it even if he himself was doomed, so he somehow sent him off-island.  At least, that's what I would do.   So if that's it, then Miles grew up off-island raised by someone else (maybe named Straume.)  And maybe the name-change was for his own protection -- Chang didn't want anybody tracking him down, so he arranged for an adoption and name-change.  Again, that's probably what I would do. 

I would say the age is about right, isn't it?  Isn't Miles around 30, give or take?  And Dr. Chang's Barracks Video (with the baby crying in the background) says it will be seen "about 30 years" in the future.

I have no idea when the problems with island pregnancies started.  My guess is post-Purge, because Dharma seemed like it was rolling along pretty smoothly there for awhile, with schools and school-age kids (some of whom could've come to the island like young Ben did, but probably not all?)  Either way, Miles could've been conceived off-island.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 07:00:57 PM »
Remember Miles's statement to Michael in "Meet Kevin Johnson."  "80% of the people on this boat are lying about something."  He may have been including himself in that 80% in lying about a name or anything else for that matter.  We've already seen that he's not the most principled man.

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 08:10:57 PM »
I think we are witnessing the birth of a superhero team, Miles can talk to the dead, Des can see the future, Dan is the time/space master, and Charlotte can get a nose bleed in a moments notice.

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 10:27:12 AM »
I think we are witnessing the birth of a superhero team, Miles can talk to the dead, Des can see the future, Dan is the time/space master, and Charlotte can get a nose bleed in a moments notice.

The Ironic Four?

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 10:28:18 AM »
LOL.  I think he can just "sense" the presence of dead things, right?  And sense how/when they died?  That's how he knew there was a dead boar laying out there and it was OK to eat because it had only been dead four hours.

It is interesting to wonder what killed it, though.  Wonder if it had a nosebleed?

You heard it here first -- The Boar is NOT DEAD!!!!

Offline surfmadpig

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2009, 01:04:22 PM »
Hey, at least it's better than the Jin being Candlewick's son theory.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2009, 01:51:33 PM »
LOL.  I think he can just "sense" the presence of dead things, right?  And sense how/when they died?  That's how he knew there was a dead boar laying out there and it was OK to eat because it had only been dead four hours.

It is interesting to wonder what killed it, though.  Wonder if it had a nosebleed?

Bah!  But delicious, nonetheless.  Hey LFTS!

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 01:52:44 PM »

Very good! When does that topic get started

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 01:53:54 PM »

Very good! When does that topic get started

You're a mod, you do it.  :D