Author Topic: Fertility Question Answered  (Read 5837 times)

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Fertility Question Answered
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2009, 03:27:21 PM »
I've decided to not start the philosophical crap until about episode six.  Meet ya there, 'k Staggie? (that was in MY Cassie voice.)

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2009, 03:36:23 PM »
It shall be a fun one, the context of this show's a great place to start!!!

There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2009, 09:04:59 PM »
I didn't want to quote your long post Madam P but it was awesome and I had absolutely no idea about all that. So thanx!!!  :)

You're welcome!  I had fun doing it.  Shot my whole afternoon but what the heck...   :D

Offline Matt_at_TSH

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2009, 11:08:16 AM »
Ive always felt that Ben has had a hidden agenda with the fertility research. I know that the "conception to birth" issue on the island is the topic (cough cough children on men... ) but I have this nagging notion in my head that says Bens motivations is all about his mother. Now given cyclical nature of time in the show, is to far gone to suggest that Ben wants to some how go back and save his mommy?

... and dont give me that course correction mumbo, the rules have change. Makes you wonder why Ben was tryin to convince Locke to NOT push the button. Think about it.

ps: Ben really reminds me of the young boy from the Twilight Zone movie...

Offline gjohnson

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2009, 11:18:24 AM »
Ive always felt that Ben has had a hidden agenda with the fertility research. I know that the "conception to birth" issue on the island is the topic (cough cough children on men... ) but I have this nagging notion in my head that says Bens motivations is all about his mother. Now given cyclical nature of time in the show, is to far gone to suggest that Ben wants to some how go back and save his mommy?

... and dont give me that course correction mumbo, the rules have change. Makes you wonder why Ben was tryin to convince Locke to NOT push the button. Think about it.

ps: Ben really reminds me of the young boy from the Twilight Zone movie...
Hmm, I had thought Ben was trying to unscrew something he screwed up which led to the women being unable to bear children on the island. Maybe it is mommy issues...

Offline ericd543

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2009, 06:17:13 AM »
I guess we now know why babies can't be born if they are concieved on the island..."You can't change anything."  Daniels whole "sting" analogy.

"You can't change anything" is referring to the fact that if you go back in time, you can't change what already happened. It has nothing to do with babies.

What happens if you haven't done something, like have a baby, and then time travel into the past? Now that you are in the past you can't have a baby because you didn't.

Same deal with Michael, he couldn't die (car crash, gun malfunction, etc.)  because he didn't.

If our Losties travelled back in time (Darhma is active), they have also existed in the future, and so can't be killed.

Long live Patchy!  ;D

It's just a theory. This time travel thing gives me a headache  :(
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 06:20:40 AM by ericd543 »

Offline ericd543

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2009, 06:38:05 AM »
Come on, all you "Free Will"* believers out there....show yourselves and sniffle and sputter your way about this!!!!!

This is what I don't like about time travel, it negates free will. Knowledge of the future, of your own particular destiny, tells you what you can or can't do. Interesting when combined with the theme, "Don't tell me what i can't do". But I'm still not sure what the rules are for the Lost flavor of time travel. (hoping Jugdish is right about linear version) I believe I have free will, but time travellers don't. :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 07:32:43 AM by ericd543 »

Offline dannymoe69

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2009, 11:43:32 AM »
Farraday says you cannot change time, not the island. The fact that Oceanic 815 crashed there, ADDED to the island. We have to still assume the Islands powers affect fertility. or if not fertility (people CAN get pregnant, they usually don't go full term). Farraday means that they cant go back and save charlie.. like we already now, Charlie was destined to die, he was destined to be in that underwater hatch, and to warn them. Michael was destined to die, on the boat, not in his house with a gun, or in a car going 90 mph into a non moving object. thats the string theory.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2009, 04:37:14 PM »
I was just curious about this, do we know if the women who got pregnant and died were native others (as oppossed to Juliette who was an other, but came from Miami)?? Because, what if the issue isn't really fertility, but just the fact that Others can't reproduce. If they really are ageless/immortal, maybe they were created, and whoever created them didn't want them to over-populate the island?? Kinda weird, I know, but I've heard weirder.

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2009, 08:19:46 PM »
I guess we now know why babies can't be born if they are concieved on the island..."You can't change anything."  Daniels whole "sting" analogy.

"You can't change anything" is referring to the fact that if you go back in time, you can't change what already happened. It has nothing to do with babies.

What happens if you haven't done something, like have a baby, and then time travel into the past? Now that you are in the past you can't have a baby because you didn't.

Same deal with Michael, he couldn't die (car crash, gun malfunction, etc.)  because he didn't.

If our Losties travelled back in time (Darhma is active), they have also existed in the future, and so can't be killed.

Long live Patchy!  ;D

It's just a theory. This time travel thing gives me a headache  :(

ouuuuuu, I like this post. Very good way to describe or explain time travel and a lot of things that has happened and why. Kudos!  and for the record. I didn't think I would dislike the time travel idea , but I got to admitt , I'm not really liking it. darn.

Offline Matt_at_TSH

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2009, 09:38:27 PM »
Okay. Lets give this a go. If one should happen to travel back in time it is posible to die. What said time traveler cannot do is, change the path of the past. This time (the past) has already been written. For example, if someone "could" change the path of the past, a meer sneeze might create a chain of events that may prevent our time traveling hero from ever being born. This would create a paradox. You have to be born to travel in time. I think this is what Faraday was suggesting. That is of course you are Desmond (special). That being said, I hope Desmond doesnt catch a cold. ; P

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2009, 09:52:28 PM »
That being said, I hope Desmond doesnt catch a cold. ; P

me too!  ;D

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2009, 12:19:59 AM »
Last night's Family Guy was a repeat of the one from the fall where Stewie built a time machine and they end up in Nazi Germany. I was so thinking of Daniel when Stewie said something like "Be very careful! Even trampling one blade of grass could change the world as we know it." Brian said, "Really?" and Stewie said "Nah, I'm kidding. You can pretty much do what you want." lol. I wish it were that easy!!

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2009, 12:22:06 AM »
I think I remember that one. My husband LOOOOOOOOOVES that show. He actually laughs out loud to it.