Author Topic: Fertility Question Answered  (Read 7034 times)

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Fertility Question Answered
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 06:22:32 PM »
O.M.G.  I can not believe I never noticed that prosthetic arm before!  *bangs head on desk*

So I went back and looked at the Chang videos.  Here's my observations:

Swan Video
Hair color: dark w/ touches of gray at temples (may be the light?)
Arms: left arm is prosthetic; "Namaste" bow at the end only uses one arm
Name: Dr. Marvin Candle
Clothes: Lab coat w/ Swan logo
Where filmed: in front of bank of windows in room w/ model of Swan Station
Attitude: Seems positive/rosy about Dharma..."welcome," "namaste" and "on behalf of the DeGroots" etc.
Subject: Orientation 3 of 6. Dharma history. Mentions "The Incident."  Directions on pushing the button.
Date: the copyright at the end of the video says 1980.

Pearl Video
Hair color: looks dark.
Arms:  clearly has both arms - when he says "Namaste" and bows at the end, he uses both arms. 
Name: Dr. Mark Wickmund
Clothes:  wearing a 70's-looking turtleneck/sports jacket combo. 
Where filmed:  Presumably inside the Pearl?
Attitude:  Still seems to be fairly positive/rosy about Dharma... says "welcome" and "namaste" etc.
Subject: Orientation 5 of 6. Directions on observing Swan, keeping notes, mailing notebooks.
Date: the copyright at the end of the video says 1980.

Orchid Video (Comic-Con)
Hair color:  still looks dark
Arms:  has both arms, holding the rabbit, etc.
Name: Dr. Edgar Halliwax
Clothes: Lab coat with Swan logo
Where filmed:  Lab with cages
Attitude:  Getting a little short-tempered about wearing make-up, and "I'm a scientist, not a..."
Subject: "Orientation for Station 6."  Explanation of kasimir effect interrupted by bunny 15 chaos.
Date:  don't see end of video because it shorts out abruptly

Orchid Video (viewed by Locke in Orchid Station)
Same as above, except only includes "official" stuff (not the asides & chaos not meant to be filmed.)  Explains about "The Vault" and how you don't put metal in it nor leave organic material inside

Barracks Video
Hair color: appears dark
Arms: has both arms.  At one point, looks down at and massages left arm.
Name: Dr. Marvin Candle, then "why play games" Pierre Chang
Clothes: Track suit / sweats.
Where filmed:  Barracks
Attitude: Clearly upset, angry, frustrated, tense.  Mentions being "taken to this godforsaken island."
Subject: Trying to get Daniel's message across about Purge and how Dharma must be reconstituted.
Date: "about 30 years" in the past.  (Is clearly unfamiliar with the internet and George W. Bush)

The content of the films leads me to believe that they were filmed in order as they are shown above.  However, the prosthetic arm now has me stumped (no pun intended.)  If he started out with a prosthetic, did the island "heal" him like it has done with others?  Can you re-grow limbs on this island?  The mention of "the incident" in the film with the prosthetic, combined with last night's scene where the drill melted, leads me to believe that maybe Candle somehow stuck his arm in the donkey-wheel chamber.  Ewwww.

Or, were the other videos filmed first, and the Swan one last?  Maybe they had to go back and re-film it for some reason, and in the meantime his arm had gotten cut off and his hair had gone gray at the temples. 

Also, the dates on the films are messing me up.  They say "Copyright The Hanso Foundation, 1980" which should mean that in 1980, all was rosy and Dharmites were viewing training films like normal.  However, the Barracks Video where Candle is all agitated is supposedly "about 30 years" in the past (from Daniel's origination point, I presume.)  He's off by several years, isn't he?  Isn't it 2004, Daniel-time?  Which would make "about 30 years" be somewhere between 1972-1976, give or take?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 06:23:15 PM »
OR he is just faking!!!

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 06:25:54 PM »
OR he is just faking!!!

:P

Every party's got a pooper...  LOL!

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 07:28:50 PM »
If the Swan vid was shot before the others, it could be an evidence of the Island's healing properties (yikes :o- are they setting us up for that with Sawyer's toe? :-[ ).  Could it also be an evidence of time travel? 

Offline hyperform

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 07:57:45 PM »
what if the first time the island moved he was trying to leave on a small boat and just had one arm thru the barrier when it did.

sorry, i can't even type this with a straight face.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2009, 08:14:03 PM »
what if the first time the island moved he was trying to leave on a small boat and just had one arm thru the barrier when it did.

sorry, i can't even type this with a straight face.
LOL  Didn't that happen on Stargate?

Offline patrixmith

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2009, 10:54:51 PM »
I guess we now know why babies can't be born if they are concieved on the island..."You can't change anything."  Daniels whole "sting" analogy.

"You can't change anything" is referring to the fact that if you go back in time, you can't change what already happened. It has nothing to do with babies.

Offline patrixmith

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2009, 11:17:05 PM »
If he started out with a prosthetic, did the island "heal" him like it has done with others?  Can you re-grow limbs on this island?  The mention of "the incident" in the film with the prosthetic, combined with last night's scene where the drill melted, leads me to believe that maybe Candle somehow stuck his arm in the donkey-wheel chamber.  Ewwww.

Or, Chang's arm was cut off by the same group of thugs that captured Sawyer and Juliet. They asked what they were doing on "their" island and threatended to cut off Juliet's other arm because the first one was non-negotiable. Could Chang have run into the same group of hostiles in the 'past' during his time-travelling experiments? Hmm... :D

Offline LostinAlaska

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2009, 04:27:09 AM »
I didn't want to quote your long post Madam P but it was awesome and I had absolutely no idea about all that. So thanx!!!  :)

Offline Harry Erickson

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2009, 06:47:37 AM »
I think it has something to do with the island being opposite to society, bad things like lock being handicapped were fixed on the island but good things like pregnancies are destroyed

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2009, 12:40:12 PM »
OR he is just faking!!!

Stop doing this. I always want to agree with you, but on this I really think there is some shady business going on. If you keep saying it might be fake, I might start believing it.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2009, 12:43:47 PM »
Ok I will!!!

He could very well have the injury or be faking.
I just think people are jumping to conclusions on a guy who is playing a character.

Offline BobBX542

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2009, 01:04:30 PM »
Ok I will!!!

He could very well have the injury or be faking.
I just think people are jumping to conclusions on a guy who is playing a character.

I think there is something to it though. The video that has him yelling about the baby shows him rubbing his arm after mentioning the consequences or something to that effect. So, as far as the show goes, I think there is deffinitely something up.

Plus, when you see him on the show, and in the special feature on the S3 DVD (I think. the one that has the bunny), he seems to be kind of a douche. But in the newest video, he seems to be concerned about what could happen. Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
People keeping saying that you can't change the past, but isn't it the fact that you can't change the future?

Oh dear...

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2009, 03:24:55 PM »
People keeping saying that you can't change the past, but isn't it the fact that you can't change the future?

Oh dear...

Hmmmmmmmm, wouldn't that future you're trying to change be the past for an even distant-er future?

Changing the past would be the future for an even distant-er past?

Quite rightly, I concur....."Oh dear..."

Come on, all you "Free Will"* believers out there....show yourselves and sniffle and sputter your way about this!!!!!

*read in a somewhat serious though heartfelt mockingly cutesy voice, kinda like Cassie from Dragon Tales...
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon