Author Topic: Goodbye FLASHES ... hello "SHIFTS"???  (Read 6155 times)

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye FLASHES ... hello "SHIFTS"???
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 01:47:37 PM »
I like "shifts."  Good word for it.  I like the narrative straigtening out too - the story is in high gear.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 04:46:45 PM »
I am wondering when Richard gave Locke his compass was he doing this because last season he came visit younger Locke and showed him objects. Remember when Richard told him you're not ready yet, maybe Richard was just checking if he was in a skip.

Just a thought
This helps me make a little snese of why Richard would say that he wouldn't remember Locke the next time they saw each other.  I've been having difficulty reconciling that with the fact that Richard has been watching Locke his entire life. :-\
Love the shifts. I can't wait till we see Rousseau again. :D
I know!  & the Black Rock.  I want to see the Losties battle a merry band of pirates! ;D

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 11:07:18 PM »
WE, the LOST fan elite  ;) ::) ;D, can date the shifts based on the Beechcraft, the Swan, Ethan, Desmond, etc., but the average viewer needs those "3 years earlier" cheats. lol

i couldnt agree more...

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 04:09:32 AM »
During one of the shifts (great word), I was waiting to see like Planet of the Ape gorillas riding on horses trying to catch the Losties. Would have been pretty funny...well for me at least.

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 06:40:04 AM »
I am wondering when Richard gave Locke his compass was he doing this because last season he came visit younger Locke and showed him objects. Remember when Richard told him you're not ready yet, maybe Richard was just checking if he was in a skip.

Just a thought

IMO, he is Lockes constant and the compass is part of that...

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 04:45:49 PM »
Absolutely!  Hi PLP!!!!

Offline Creflo

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 10:20:24 AM »
Ever since 'LOST' introduced mental time traveling in 'Flashes Before Your Eyes' (or even as far back as Every Man for Himself with his precognition), I started reevaluating the significance of the flashback/forward.  Most times when a flashback is shown, it cuts back to the character who was just having the flashback (or a significant figure therein).  It's as if they were just thinking about that past incident.  This is really close to the way Desmond would flash to the past, have "a moment", then flash back to the present...stewing on the memory.

Something fun:
- Search old posts for "time travel" sorted with oldest posts on top.
- most posts from 2006 which include the phase "time travel" are denying that it is in the show
- cbw420, who furiously denied time travel would ever be in the show, quit posting after 420 posts in the middle of last season

Surely he switched to a new name.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 04:27:29 PM »

Just a thought

PLP, we missed you!! have you been posting and I just missed it??

This helps me make a little snese of why Richard would say that he wouldn't remember Locke the next time they saw each other.  I've been having difficulty reconciling that with the fact that Richard has been watching Locke his entire life. :-\

Well, as far as we know, Richard only kept an eye on him as far as him being roughly, 4 or 5 years old. We never saw Richard talking to an adult Locke, or even scoping him out for that matter. So I'm willing to bet that Richard was "fed up" with Locke after he denied the invite to the science camp, and then like 30 years passed. So he obviously wouldn't recognize him. OR, the next time Locke meets Richard is waaaaaaaaaay back in time before Locke is even born, and then in that case, obviously Richard wouldn't recognize someone who isn't alive yet.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 04:31:31 PM »

Well, as far as we know, Richard only kept an eye on him as far as him being roughly, 4 or 5 years old. We never saw Richard talking to an adult Locke, or even scoping him out for that matter. So I'm willing to bet that Richard was "fed up" with Locke after he denied the invite to the science camp, and then like 30 years passed. So he obviously wouldn't recognize him. OR, the next time Locke meets Richard is waaaaaaaaaay back in time before Locke is even born, and then in that case, obviously Richard wouldn't recognize someone who isn't alive yet.
I've since been convinced of this by other brilliant posters around here. 

& did I say "snese?" lol 

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 04:59:24 PM »

I've since been convinced of this by other brilliant posters around here. 

& did I say "snese?" lol 

Indeed you did, but I didn't notice it until you said something.

Offline uofapiglet

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 06:42:16 PM »

Just a thought

Excellent theory PLP. I've always wondered if "constants" had to be people specifically, or if other objects such as the compass could serve as a type of constant. A 100-year calendar would be nice...

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »

Just a thought

Excellent theory PLP. I've always wondered if "constants" had to be people specifically, or if other objects such as the compass could serve as a type of constant. A 100-year calendar would be nice...

Well, Desmond asked Daniel if his constant could be a person, and Daniel said yes, so I guess the assumption is that usually, a constant is an object.

Offline surfmadpig

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 01:58:08 PM »
Love the shifts. I can't wait till we see Rousseau again. :D

Or to find out exactly what the hell happened with her.

yay, we got our wish!

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2009, 09:46:39 AM »

Just a thought

PLP, we missed you!! have you been posting and I just missed it?? Hello! No, that was my first post in ages, haven't been around much but have popped on here every week after watching an episode to see what you lovely people have to say about it! Have missed you too ((hugs)), lovely seeing many of the 'older' names on here!!! xx

What I don't get is, how did Richard know where/what time Locke would be jumping to - that would indicate a deeper knowledge of the whole skipping thing, or even a way to control it!!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 10:17:15 AM by PurpleLostPrincess »

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2009, 11:41:50 AM »
What I don't get is, how did Richard know where/what time Locke would be jumping to - that would indicate a deeper knowledge of the whole skipping thing, or even a way to control it!!!

Well, I'm kind of assuming that Locke will tell Richard (at some point later, or he already told him at the army camp) that he was out in the jungle, near the question mark station some time after the plane fell out of the tree canopy. I know this sounds really stupid, but the logic makes sense. I mean, you know the plane is going to land, and you know it's going to fall out of the tree. So you tell the guy that you know is going to be there to look for you at that spot after the plane falls out of the tree. So when the island native sees the plane in the tree, then one day it has fallen out, you know that it's going to be soon, so you take a casual walk over by the plane every night. What else are you going to do?? LOL