Author Topic: Goodbye FLASHES ... hello "SHIFTS"???  (Read 6156 times)

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Goodbye FLASHES ... hello "SHIFTS"???
« on: January 22, 2009, 12:49:07 AM »
with the absence of the flashes you really dont notice... though i had a lump in my throat when i saw the first line of "Three years earlier" i hoped they wouldnt use that easy way out as their "new literary device" but the 2 epis in a whole it helps the main literary device which seems to be time shifts wether it be foreard back sideways whateva.... with the oceanic 6 and the people on the record skip in time... not the island persay just the people caught in it... any disagreements? or adds to this theory??

Offline Gar O Mac

• View Profile
Re: Goodbye FLASHES ... hello "SHIFTS"???
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 01:14:34 AM »
I like what they're doing with it, but it is getting hard to tell when you are in any given scene.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 01:23:28 AM »
I pretty much got most of it.  The only thing that is up in there for question I think is when we see Daniel working for Dharma was this sometime before where he actually time traveled or is this in the middle of one of the shifts in time that we are seeing now

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 03:17:04 AM »
I, too, said 'uh oh' when they flashed the 'Three years earlier' guidepost.  Then I remembered it has been a LONG time since season four aired, and TPTB were probably just giving the mainstream audience, the one that only loosely understands what's going on, a little nudge so as to not get totally lost & frustrated prior to deciding to stop watching the show.  I expect no more such guideposts now that the new rhythm is in place.

Offline this is some crazy stuff

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 03:28:58 AM »
i think the three years earlier thing was for scenes like when they were on the boat.  If that wasnt there then like u said the average person might think that the scene took place in the same time that the 6 were trying to get back to the island.   

It was good just to clarify things I think

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 10:26:12 AM »
it didn't bother me, but my husband liked it.  he's not as avid a fan, so it made it much more watchable for him.

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 01:14:58 PM »
I think this is going to play into the greater narrative of the story for the season. I think that for a little while at least we will be seeing the time pass from three years ago off the island and on the island until Ben and Jack get everyone back. My  guess is that they will be ready to go back to the island within 7 episodes (6 weeks, so around the end of February), and then all of the timelines will converge on island. As for what the rest of the season holds, we'll just have to wait and see.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 01:22:04 PM »
WE, the LOST fan elite  ;) ::) ;D, can date the shifts based on the Beechcraft, the Swan, Ethan, Desmond, etc., but the average viewer needs those "3 years earlier" cheats. lol

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 01:24:28 PM »
I liked that they put that. Less questions for us.

Offline Beej

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 04:55:38 PM »
I am wondering when Richard gave Locke his compass was he doing this because last season he came visit younger Locke and showed him objects. Remember when Richard told him you're not ready yet, maybe Richard was just checking if he was in a skip.

Just a thought

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 05:19:34 PM »
I am wondering when Richard gave Locke his compass was he doing this because last season he came visit younger Locke and showed him objects. Remember when Richard told him you're not ready yet, maybe Richard was just checking if he was in a skip.

Just a thought

Not bad

Offline Staggerlee

• In the Loop
  • Karma does not announce itself, it just happens.
    • View Profile
    • In Praise of Shadows
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 05:30:40 PM »
Yeah, he did say to either show it to me (Richard) or mention it when next you see me...
There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion.

F. Bacon

Offline BadRobot64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 05:34:03 PM »

Just a thought

I think it will be like the question.. how did farraday get into the orchid andhow did ben end up in th dessert... it will be seen in a slate island slide i bet...

Offline surfmadpig

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 01:05:40 PM »
Love the shifts. I can't wait till we see Rousseau again. :D

Offline BobBX542

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 01:10:35 PM »
Love the shifts. I can't wait till we see Rousseau again. :D

Or to find out exactly what the hell happened with her.