Author Topic: Daniel Appearance in the First scene  (Read 12660 times)

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Appearance in the First scene
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2009, 12:47:08 PM »
THe Dharma Initiative is a rather small group of people. I assume daniel was there on a time traveling jaunt and not a long time member. I figured he did not want to be recoginized as an outsider.

That's what I thought, too.  He was time-jumping, and I bet this jump was after the Barracks Video was shot.  He knew Candle would recognize him from filming that, (am I missing something? what would the filming of the barracks video have to do with this?and so he hid his face.  I'm thinking the Barracks Video time-trip was planned/done rather hastily, as in "Oops, these guys are gonna get wiped out!  I'd better get back there and try to correct that!" and then later when he realizes there are 'restrictions' or whatever on what can be changed, he's being more careful with his time-trips -- trying not to be recognized, trying to gather information.

Perhaps in a scene that has not been shown yet, Daniel goes back and meets candle at some point prior to the problem at the orchid, Daniel knows that candle would recognize him from the first encounter so hides his face?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 12:49:10 PM by SQUIRT199 »

Offline DIZZYBECKSTER

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2009, 12:51:23 PM »
THe Dharma Initiative is a rather small group of people. I assume daniel was there on a time traveling jaunt and not a long time member. I figured he did not want to be recoginized as an outsider.

That's what I thought, too.  He was time-jumping, and I bet this jump was after the Barracks Video was shot.  He knew Candle would recognize him from filming that, (am I missing something? what would the filming of the barracks video have to do with this?and so he hid his face.  I'm thinking the Barracks Video time-trip was planned/done rather hastily, as in "Oops, these guys are gonna get wiped out!  I'd better get back there and try to correct that!" and then later when he realizes there are 'restrictions' or whatever on what can be changed, he's being more careful with his time-trips -- trying not to be recognized, trying to gather information.

Perhaps in a scene that has not been shown yet, Daniel goes back and meets candle at some point prior to the problem at the orchid, Daniel knows that candle would recognize him from the first encounter so hides his face?
plausible - very very.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2009, 09:36:51 PM »
Right.  I think that on one of the "shifts," they end up in a time when Dharma is in full swing.  The other Losties lay low while Dan goes on recon, eventually connecting with Chang (a colleague of his caliber), & they shoot the (ComiCon 08) video.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2009, 09:40:59 PM »
Right.  I think that on one of the "shifts," they end up in a time when Dharma is in full swing.  The other Losties lay low while Dan goes on recon, eventually connecting with Chang (a colleague of his caliber), & they shoot the (ComiCon 08) video.
I'll quote you on that lolololol ;D

Offline Hurley rocks dudes

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2009, 11:48:24 PM »
and then thats why dan doesn't know how to turn the camera off because its so old!

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2009, 08:12:12 AM »
Why can't Dan hiding his head just be a dun-dun-dun moment, just like not seeing candle's face until hit sits in the chair to start filming.

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2009, 06:54:39 PM »
My AHA moment came when Desmond said that he had experienced a memory, not a dream.

I believe the memory tests that Charlotte was doing on Daniel, were to test his recollection of having done this before. Daniel needs to remember last time in order to correct the future outcome this time around. He was crying in his first scene because he had done this before and something did not work out as planned. Ugh, this is so Back to the Future!So my real question is were the "memory tests" really testing Daniel's memory or were the cards that were being dealt actually different this time around?

As for his being less pschitzy, maybe the more he remembers the more clarity he gains.

I think Daniel going back to the Orchid to sabotage the station in some way so that time stops skipping makes sense. If he can make the Island stationary in space/time it will be easier for them to be located, but stop the head-ache of jumping around.

Offline uofapiglet

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2009, 07:22:15 PM »
My AHA moment came when Desmond said that he had experienced a memory, not a dream.

I believe the memory tests that Charlotte was doing on Daniel, were to test his recollection of having done this before. Daniel needs to remember last time in order to correct the future outcome this time around. He was crying in his first scene because he had done this before and something did not work out as planned. Ugh, this is so Back to the Future!So my real question is were the "memory tests" really testing Daniel's memory or were the cards that were being dealt actually different this time around?

As for his being less pschitzy, maybe the more he remembers the more clarity he gains.

I think Daniel going back to the Orchid to sabotage the station in some way so that time stops skipping makes sense. If he can make the Island stationary in space/time it will be easier for them to be located, but stop the head-ache of jumping around.

I was rewatching epis from lasat season and the "card memory test" stuck out for my too when I watched the new stuff last week. If Daniel is going back and forth through time, then it's possible that Charlotte and the rest of the freighter people know his condition. But it seems the tests serve another purpose, because I think Charlotte would have been more concerned about her nosebleed if she knew what Daniel knew about the Eloise Conundrum.

Offline Blitz Wing

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2009, 05:21:20 AM »
Why can't Dan hiding his head just be a dun-dun-dun moment, just like not seeing candle's face until hit sits in the chair to start filming.

It was done a little differently....Marvin Candle's face was hidden by the camera....he wasn't trying to hide, it was just outside the visible camera frame for us.

Desmond was fully in the camera frame but visibility trying to hide his face.

Offline matahari

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2009, 05:29:16 AM »
Des or Dan? Dan was conceiling himself!

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2009, 11:17:40 AM »

Squirt, if you watch the Barracks video (the one released at ComicCon, where Candle has been made aware of the upcoming Purge), it sounds very much like Daniel Faraday's voice in the background, as though he's holding the camera.  He comments something like "That doesn't matter, hurry up 'cause we don't have much time," and then says "Never mind, they're never gonna hear this anyway, how do you shut this thing off?"   (Does that explain the 'am I missing something?' -- not sure if that's what you meant but hope that helps explain where I was coming from...)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 11:19:15 AM by Madam P »

Offline hatch4815162342

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2009, 02:51:09 PM »
all I know is the Candle/wickman or whatever was dorta mean to the workers....

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2009, 04:19:05 PM »
just FYI. Did anyone knotice when candle was walking to work that morning, a pregnant woman walked by behind him? I'm not saying this means anything but this is just something I haven't noticed mentioned here yet. But she didn't look far enough into her pregnancy for us to be able to say that at that time they were able to carry full term.  I just thought it interesting and wondered if anyone else caught that.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2009, 05:10:14 PM »
just FYI. Did anyone knotice when candle was walking to work that morning, a pregnant woman walked by behind him? I'm not saying this means anything but this is just something I haven't noticed mentioned here yet. But she didn't look far enough into her pregnancy for us to be able to say that at that time they were able to carry full term.  I just thought it interesting and wondered if anyone else caught that.
i didn't notice.  i'll have to go back and rewatch!

Offline SQUIRT199

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2009, 12:29:23 AM »

Squirt, if you watch the Barracks video (the one released at ComicCon, where Candle has been made aware of the upcoming Purge), it sounds very much like Daniel Faraday's voice in the background, as though he's holding the camera.  He comments something like "That doesn't matter, hurry up 'cause we don't have much time," and then says "Never mind, they're never gonna hear this anyway, how do you shut this thing off?"   (Does that explain the 'am I missing something?' -- not sure if that's what you meant but hope that helps explain where I was coming from...)
I just watched it and I would agree that is daniel, but if the good Dr is referring to the purge then it is probably close to happening so therefore after the orchid was built,  He probably went back and forth to him several times and the first few or many, the Dr thought he was a crackpot.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 12:36:29 AM by SQUIRT199 »