Author Topic: Military uniforms in the past  (Read 17941 times)

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: Military uniforms in the past
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 02:47:57 PM »
I don't think it's a coincidence that they were taping the orientation video for "The Flame" and the Losties get attacked by people with flaming arrows. *shrugs*

Offline msdoran

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 02:54:26 PM »
Wow, I was totally off in a different line of thinking.  I thought they were somehow Widmore's people..before Dharma...My reasoning for that was Widmore said he had the island before Ben.  And they were definitely British.

I concur. That would be a reasonable explanation that also relates directly to Widmore's statement to Ben that HE owns the Island. Didn't the soldiers say the same thing? "What are you doing on OUR island?"

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 02:59:51 PM »
I don't think it's a coincidence that they were taping the orientation video for "The Flame" and the Losties get attacked by people with flaming arrows. *shrugs*

It was the Arrow, but either way it works. :)

Offline Sunflower

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 03:07:25 PM »

It was the Arrow, but either way it works. :)
Yeah, I thought the same thing too LOL
Wow, I was totally off in a different line of thinking.  I thought they were somehow Widmore's people..before Dharma...My reasoning for that was Widmore said he had the island before Ben.  And they were definitely British.

I concur. That would be a reasonable explanation that also relates directly to Widmore's statement to Ben that HE owns the Island. Didn't the soldiers say the same thing? "What are you doing on OUR island?"
Exactly!

Offline TheGoodPeople

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 04:54:14 PM »

Hasn't every character in the series referred to the island as "theirs" at one point or another.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2009, 05:12:10 PM »
That sounds like an interesting theory... I also like the Rousseau theory.

Offline BadRobot64

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2009, 05:36:11 PM »
derailing the train of thought for a moment:  were the soldier who did the speaking and this new Neil person (from the beach) one and the same?
neil (frogurt) was from a webisode with hurley right before libby died...

and also Berbard metntione neil frogurt in the episiode SOS

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2009, 05:50:18 PM »

One day, it's gonna be Bernard saying it.  I'm telling ya.

Hasn't every character in the series referred to the island as "theirs" at one point or another.

Offline Still_lost06

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2009, 09:45:14 PM »
Remember, the britt's in uniform asked something like: "What are you doing on OUR island". To me, they sound too possessive to be Dharma or even others. Perhaps they have gotten "sick". Whether they were part of Roussou's team or not. Also: in the earlier episode that showed what happened to the tail section, didn't one of the others (the one that Ana Lucia killed on the beach) have a U.S. army knife?

Offline jumbotron

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2009, 10:03:50 PM »

My question is why did they go from shooting flaming arrows to using WWII rifles and carryng machetes?

Offline jumbotron

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2009, 10:07:07 PM »
And for the record... I'm going with Widmore's guys.  Widmore and his people tried to take control of the island during the 50's, build some infrastructure and then got the boot by Hanso and the DI.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2009, 10:11:30 PM »
I thought the same thing too, I think he said "That island's mine, Benjamin. It always was. It will be again."

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2009, 10:23:46 PM »

My question is why did they go from shooting flaming arrows to using WWII rifles and carryng machetes?

I had wondered if maybe the Losties had dropped right in the middle of a skirmish between the military guys, whoever they were, and the "hostiles," or whoever else the guys with guns were on patrol guarding against...

Offline Gordon Shumway

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2009, 11:02:07 PM »
My thought was WWII and they were austrailian, had captured the island, and had something to do with the transmission of the numbers that Hurley was traveling to Austraila in the 1st place.  To see the guy who heard the numbers and went crazy.  Did that make sense?  Sorry I dont know the characters names like the rest of you and the index section is not working.

Offline qgardens

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2009, 11:53:57 PM »
AnaL
criminy, how did I miss this abbreviation?  :D
ok, i can't remember back that far to know frogurt (!) and i don't watch webisodes, so thank you all for the info