Author Topic: Why is Juliet behaving in time like the rest of the Others?  (Read 6046 times)

Offline Folly529

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Why is Juliet behaving in time like the rest of the Others?
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:19:42 PM »

She is jumping like the Losties instead.

Offline Hurley rocks dudes

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Juliet behaving in time like the rest of the Others?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:25:08 PM »
probably because the others brought here to the island, she wasn't originally part of the others

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 12:11:28 AM »
Correct, she is not an island native so it affects her like the Losties.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 03:24:59 AM »
And now it makes more sense, the Others' infatuation with Lists, ritual father killing, etc.  If someone is not of the proper calibre, they might stick around only during normal times.  However, during the interregnum of such island time jumps, they'd be set adrift, likely to run afoul of the vicious Ethans, British soldiers, or hail of fiery arrows that are out there. Hhmmm.... maybe the ritual father killing is like having a constant, in that it somehow anchors a person who wasn't born on the island.  So, if Locke hadn't been so clever in getting Sawyer to kill Locke's papa, he might have become immune to the time shifts.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 10:25:04 AM »
it makes me think that richard, for example, is more PART of the island than an inhabitant of the island. 

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 12:55:11 PM »
Cindy the stewardess wasn't an original Other either.  If she's still with Richard and the gang, I wonder if she's jumping too.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 01:18:33 PM »
The Others are made up of Island natives, Dharma deserters, & recruits/abductees.

I don't know if it has as much to do with being a native as it does having learned their secret ways.

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 01:23:11 PM »
It's probably as simple as the island choosing who belongs and who doesn't.  Juliette doesn't belong anymore (if she ever did) so she time travels with the losties.  Those who don't belong travel independently of what the island is doing... whatever it's doing.

Offline gjohnson

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 03:54:15 PM »
Cindy the stewardess wasn't an original Other either.  If she's still with Richard and the gang, I wonder if she's jumping too.
Or was she? Dun-dun-dun

Perhaps the dentention of the kids and Cindy were just to maintain the illusion.

Offline opgelost

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 04:12:13 PM »
Juliet is marked.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 04:12:34 PM »
Juliet is marked.
oooohhh...good observation.

Offline solost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 04:20:25 PM »
Juliet is marked.
That's exactly right.....she is no longer part of their society....very good!!

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 06:30:35 PM »
The Others are made up of Island natives, Dharma deserters, & recruits/abductees.

I don't know if it has as much to do with being a native as it does having learned their secret ways.
But we have not seen what was happening to the dharma deserters and recruits. Maybe they are flying through time also.

Offline PrincessLeia

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 06:55:40 PM »

But we have not seen what was happening to the dharma deserters and recruits. Maybe they are flying through time also.
Agreed.  I was only stating that we don't have enough info to say that everyone Locke was surrounded by (then suddenly went missing) was definitely an Island native. 

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 07:52:33 PM »
Help me out:

How many jumps did we see and when were they?

1) (Day) The island (and Losties) jumped ("disappeared") so that the people on the helicopter no longer saw them.
-- The Losties jumped to a pre-crash time when none of their huts had been built.
-- Locke jumped to a time when Yemi's plane crashed on the island -- (do have an approximate date for this?  this should also signal the island changed geographic location as well).  Ethan comes across him but doesn't recognize him -- Locke tells Ethan his name and that Ben appointed him as the Others' leader, then Locke jumps (presumably disappearing before Ethan's eyes which Ethan must have later related to Richard with a physical description of Locke and his name).

2) (Night) Losties jump forward to a time that is after the Swan hatch blew up, and Locke jumps to a time after Yemi's plane has fallen to the ground.  [Q: How does Richard know to go to Yemi's plane to find John exactly at this moment?]  Richard not only recognizes Locke but also is ready to remove Ethan's bullet.  He gives Locke his own compass because Richard knows the next time they meet Richard won't recognize him (presumably in the pre-crash past, at which time Locke tells Richard who he is -- does this mean the Others already know that the plane crash is going to happen because time-travel Locke had already told Richard about it?).

3) (Day) Jump to a time before Yemi's plane falls down and when Desmond is in the Hatch thinking he needs to wear the hazmat suit outside.  Because Desmond is Daniel's Constant, Daniel 2005 can talk to pre-crash Desmond and Desmond 2005 will get the message as a mind-time travel.
-- (Night) Flaming arrows come flying through the air attacking the Losties on the beach.  Who's shooting?  It has to be the Others since it's post-Purge, pre-crash, right?
-- (Night) British soldiers in war mode snatch Sawyer and Juliet but Locke saves the day.  (These don't appear to be Dharma uniforms, but if all of this takes place during Jump #3, they shouldn't be further back in the past than Desmond's arrival on the island.  They don't recognize Juliet, though, so they can't be Others, right?)

Am I mixing together incidents from different time jumps?  I don't think there were any more flashes after (2)-(3).