Author Topic: I've changed my mind...  (Read 6936 times)

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: I've changed my mind...
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 12:14:26 AM »
I have previously stated that I dont believe that the island actually moved, only that it moved into the future, but I think ive changed my mind about that... due to one reason.... THE BLACK ROCK...  as we all know the black rock is landlocked, meaning its right in the middle of the island how could it have gotten there? typhoon/hurricane? i doubt that but it could be possible... but WHAT IF the island moved right up underneath it... and thats how it got landlocked?  these people are just sailing along in their slave ship and BAM and island pops up right underneath them!

this is really just a theory... and the more i think about it, the more i believe im probably wrong... the blackrock had alot of dynamite on it... so maybe they knew where they were going and were planning on using the slaves and the dynamite to actually build/ destroy something  there.

I apologize if this is a dumb theory, or if someone else has already talked about this...
I think I actually agree with your theory, but I don't think it refutes your earlier theory. If the island only moves in time and not space, then it could appear underneath the Black Rock rather simply.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 03:37:55 PM »
It could move under a ship only in time?  I don't get it.

Offline Jas0n

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 03:05:33 AM »
I have previously stated that I dont believe that the island actually moved, only that it moved into the future, but I think ive changed my mind about that... due to one reason.... THE BLACK ROCK...  as we all know the black rock is landlocked, meaning its right in the middle of the island how could it have gotten there? typhoon/hurricane? i doubt that but it could be possible... but WHAT IF the island moved right up underneath it... and thats how it got landlocked?  these people are just sailing along in their slave ship and BAM and island pops up right underneath them!

this is really just a theory... and the more i think about it, the more i believe im probably wrong... the blackrock had alot of dynamite on it... so maybe they knew where they were going and were planning on using the slaves and the dynamite to actually build/ destroy something  there.

I apologize if this is a dumb theory, or if someone else has already talked about this...
I think I actually agree with your theory, but I don't think it refutes your earlier theory. If the island only moves in time and not space, then it could appear underneath the Black Rock rather simply.

ok ok  im pickin up what your putting down, the blackrock might have even been waiting there for the island to reappear!  ???   :o

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 12:19:55 AM »

ok ok  im pickin up what your putting down, the blackrock might have even been waiting there for the island to reappear!  ???   :o
Doubt it... I think that Ben was telling the truth when he said it was unpredictable and dangerous.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 11:54:21 AM »
The Black Rock was a slave trader. I'm not sure whether it's been verified on the show, but it seems much more likely to me that it would have been sailing between Africa and America than anywhere in the Pacific. So, I'm thinkin' Island appears in the Atlantic underneath the Black Rock. The Hostiles are somehow related to the surviving crew of the ship. A couple of centuries later the Nigerian plane crashes. Shortly after that the Hostiles stage their coup, the former leader moves the Island so that Widmore can't send reinforcements.

Just speculating of course, but it hangs together, doesn't it?

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 12:54:41 PM »
As the ship was heading to Australia, it's my belief she was a prison ship even tho Locke said slaves. During the 18th and early 19th century, to alleviate over crowded prisons, sentences were pased sending criminals to the colony of Australia to populate the place. After a year or more of indentured servitude, you went free to do as you will. The mining equipment is another clue. There is book entitled The Floating Brothel that gives the story of one such ship.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2008, 05:56:25 PM »
It's certainly true that Australia was colonized largely by prisoners so you could be right, but my theory has the side effect that it accounts for the drug plane. Here's hoping we find out this season!

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 03:28:08 PM »
I wanna Black Rock flashback!!!  ;D

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2008, 12:14:06 PM »
I knew that the identity of the Black Rock had been established and this is right from the show

"AUCTIONEER: The Black Rock set sail from Portsmith England on March 22, 1845 on a trading mission to the kingdom of Siam, when she was tragically lost at sea. The only known artifact of this journey is the journal of the ship's first mate, which was discovered among the artifacts of pirates on the Ile Sante-Marie off the coast of Madagascar seven years later. The contents of this journal have never been made public, or known to anyone outside the family of the seller, Tovard Hanso. ...... "

They could have had slaves, perhaps to trade.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2008, 08:22:46 PM »
Nice catch Lil. Definitely not a trader between Africa and America then.

Still the fastest route from England to Siam in 1845 would have been around Africa and not gone within thousands of miles of Fiji....

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2008, 08:43:57 PM »
L and S, the Black Rock has always intrigued me and frankly, the fact that Widmore wanted the journal leads me to think even more is related to this, ergo the Hanso connection etc.  I mean Widmore the portrait of the Black Rock next to his bed when Ben goes to visit. 

Yes, it would have gone round Africa, but not sure that is where our slaves hail from, no evidence of that, BUT, the interesting fact is Madagascar is off the coast of Africa, and that is where the journal was found in the pirates booty. 

None the less we can only hope that there is a flash back to how it arrived at that particular spot in the island.  We see how Ben ended up in the middle of the desert after her turned the wheel.  So we can only speculate at this point.

P.S. the transcripts help sort out some confusion (and since I have insomnia I am watching a lot of the old LOST shows  ::) ;D )

Offline E.S.B.

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2008, 05:00:39 PM »
I like the idea that the Black Rock was just sailing along it's merry way, and then all the sudden, the sky gets bright and the Island appears underneath it and it runs aground in the middle of the jungle.

Offline Jas0n

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 12:27:02 AM »
Wow I think i may have been on to something here, hmm...