Poll

Do you believe that Ben is UNABLE to return to the Island after moving it?

Yes. He will never be able to return
1 (2.9%)
No. His statement was metaphorical. He WILL be able to return, but it would no longer be the same Island he once ruled
2 (5.7%)
No. He was lying again to set-up Locke for an as-yet unseen threat which he wishes to avoid
4 (11.4%)
No. This may have been the fate of other "Island movers" but he's discovered a way back, which requires the Losties in some way
10 (28.6%)
No. I don't know how or why, but he'll be back. He always has a plan
18 (51.4%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Ben's Exile From The Island  (Read 9939 times)

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Ben's Exile From The Island
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 05:54:39 PM »
No, no totally on board with the 10 months for OC6 and minutes for Ben

Sorry if I got you lost, I got turned around to many times.

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 05:58:58 PM »
ok, phew! I feel better now, lol. ;)

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 06:10:15 PM »
No. He was lying again to set-up Locke for an as-yet unseen threat which he wishes to avoid   

No. This may have been the fate of other "Island movers" but he's discovered a way back, which requires the Losties in some way

Thank you so much for delineating this, Mango.  I think though that these two options are related.  I like the idea of Ben stepping out of the way of the coming trouble on the island (the Rise of Richard?) - but also that his plan needs the O6.  What in the world is that plan short of just plain and simple "Live Together, Die Alone," I have no idea.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
I think though that these two options are related.  I like the idea of Ben stepping out of the way of the coming trouble on the island (the Rise of Richard?) - but also that his plan needs the O6.

I did realise that I agreed with a mixture of two options myself, but to keep it simple I just kept it to a few.

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 06:38:19 PM »
Always thought that Ben was stepping aside for a brief period because he knew what was coming and let Locke take the hit.
Richard I always saw as someone manipulating people like Ben, in fact he's using Ben to get what he wants.
Can't get Locke so take the next best thing until Locke gets there and then release what's not needed,Ben.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 08:26:04 PM »
Always thought that Ben was stepping aside for a brief period because he knew what was coming and let Locke take the hit.

Look at the safety poster on the wall behind Locke's coffin in this promo shot...

Sums it all up really, doesn't it?  :)

Locke bit-off more than he could chew, but it was Ben whom handed it to him on a plate.

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 08:38:27 PM »
Well, when one thinks about this and though I didn't post earlier, Richard has been trying to test Locke for a long time.  He gave Locke the file and well, Richard is a much larger cog in the wheel of life on the island.
He saw Ben as a young child in pain and someone who could see his mother.  So he took advantage of that and really did mentor him. 

Though we have not seen this yet, I am sure that once his agenda is revealed we will find that no man is an island there. 

Ben maybe gone for now, but he'll be back and maybe with the Terminator...sorry had to throw that in...

Great job Mango.. good thoughts from everyone.... :D

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 08:46:57 PM »
Ben didn't seem too upset when commenting "oh, so you do know how to speak English" to the Tunisian on the horse, which was only literally 3 minutes after leaving the island. You would think he would be too upset for zingy one-liners if he had permanently left the island he loves, so I conclude it was a cunning plan to coerce Locke for future reasons yet unknown  8)

Speculation that Ben leaving the island was more 10 months difference not 3 mins. when he moves the island.

???

He was wearing the same clothes with the same gash on his arm.

I think that motorcycle's thought is correct... Ben's arrival in Tunsia was (for Ben) directly after he moved the Island. Taking his alleged exile into account, he was in a surprisingly chipper mood.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 10:51:03 PM »
Yeah, I don't exactly get it, but I believe the actions in Tunisia were the direct aftermath of being blown off the island.  T

he thing I don't get is why on island time did Keamy tell him that Widmore was trying to find him  -which we know - but Ben said "Not if I find him first."  Now, why was it a dare that Ben would find Widmore first, and why did the writers tell us that Ben found him before we heard him say this?

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 01:25:34 PM »

Look at the safety poster on the wall behind Locke's coffin in this promo shot...

Sums it all up really, doesn't it?  :)

Locke bit-off more than he could chew, but it was Ben whom handed it to him on a plate.

Similar to "HITMAN" anyone?

Offline Mommainternet

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 01:37:44 PM »
I think Ben discovered a way back that requires the Losties.  I think history has to repeat itself in a way, with the O6 on board the same flight and Jack transporting a casket.  Just like the first time.

Very smart thinking.  Hadn't thought of that.  Very interesting.  Got a big hmmm. . .  out of me on that one.

Offline redcrow1973

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 04:28:27 PM »
Ben didn't seem too upset when commenting "oh, so you do know how to speak English" to the Tunisian on the horse, which was only literally 3 minutes after leaving the island. You would think he would be too upset for zingy one-liners if he had permanently left the island he loves, so I conclude it was a cunning plan to coerce Locke for future reasons yet unknown  8)

I'm thinking Ben had more pressing concerns on his mind during his encounter with the locals in Tunisia than having just left the Island. 

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 04:30:41 PM »

I'm thinking Ben had more pressing concerns on his mind during his encounter with the locals in Tunisia than having just left the Island. 

Maybe something like, "Who the hell is this guy sitting here with a parka on?"

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 08:09:08 PM »

Speculation that Ben leaving the island was more 10 months difference not 3 mins. when he moves the island.

???

He was wearing the same clothes with the same gash on his arm.

I think that motorcycle's thought is correct... Ben's arrival in Tunsia was (for Ben) directly after he moved the Island. Taking his alleged exile into account, he was in a surprisingly chipper mood.

I don't know... he seemed pretty ticked to me.  I remember I was surprised by how sudden the violence was when he took those guys out -- I was all "Whoa!  Don't mess with Ben!"  Maybe it was his anger at being exiled coming out -- he just took it out on those locals in the desert.  I think they were the ones who were in the wrong place at the wrong time, not Ben!   

Offline Mrs Hume

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 09:02:50 PM »
Or they were at the right place at the right time!?! Widmores guys?! Probably not because I'm sure he would have sent more men, but widmore did know plan B. so It's just a silly idea I guess.