Poll

Do you believe that Ben is UNABLE to return to the Island after moving it?

Yes. He will never be able to return
1 (2.9%)
No. His statement was metaphorical. He WILL be able to return, but it would no longer be the same Island he once ruled
2 (5.7%)
No. He was lying again to set-up Locke for an as-yet unseen threat which he wishes to avoid
4 (11.4%)
No. This may have been the fate of other "Island movers" but he's discovered a way back, which requires the Losties in some way
10 (28.6%)
No. I don't know how or why, but he'll be back. He always has a plan
18 (51.4%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Ben's Exile From The Island  (Read 10307 times)

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Ben's Exile From The Island
« on: June 03, 2008, 05:11:59 PM »
Just go with whichever option you agree with most strongly.

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Ben's Exile From The Island
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 06:05:27 PM »
I have been thinking this for some time now and this post helps with it.
Does Ben know something about being " the leader ". I have this feeling that Ben of course lies constantly and manipulates everyone for his own good. Could Ben have known Locke would die and placed Locke in his position as leader knowing that death was to follow?
I'm not sure how to explain it all but it seems that Ben may have been killed off and to escape this threat and the island being fond he moves it.
Thus Locke being killed while off the island from learning the OTHERS secrets.

Somewhere in there is a point?   ???

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 06:20:21 PM »
Could Ben have known Locke would die and placed Locke in his position as leader knowing that death was to follow?

Ben handed Locke his crown - but it was a crown of thorns.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 06:22:31 PM by MangoBingo »

Offline Walkabout

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 06:52:48 PM »
Could Ben have known Locke would die and placed Locke in his position as leader knowing that death was to follow?

Ben handed Locke his crown - but it was a crown of thorns.
Don't forget Locke had been longing for that thorny crown and worked hard to get it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and Locke sees Mrs. Universe.

Offline motorcycle

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 07:25:47 PM »
Ben didn't seem too upset when commenting "oh, so you do know how to speak English" to the Tunisian on the horse, which was only literally 3 minutes after leaving the island. You would think he would be too upset for zingy one-liners if he had permanently left the island he loves, so I conclude it was a cunning plan to coerce Locke for future reasons yet unknown  8)

Offline LostinAlaska

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 07:50:47 PM »
I have to say the show without Benji would not be a show at all. I can't wait to see what this guy comes up with!

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 07:57:04 PM »
Ben didn't seem too upset when commenting "oh, so you do know how to speak English" to the Tunisian on the horse, which was only literally 3 minutes after leaving the island. You would think he would be too upset for zingy one-liners if he had permanently left the island he loves, so I conclude it was a cunning plan to coerce Locke for future reasons yet unknown  8)

Speculation that Ben leaving the island was more 10 months difference not 3 mins. when he moves the island.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 11:30:24 PM »
I say YES, or "no - he needs the Losties." Going with YES for now though.

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 11:46:49 PM »

Speculation that Ben leaving the island was more 10 months difference not 3 mins. when he moves the island.

well, I think it was 10 months real time, but in Ben's experience it was only 3 minutes of time that elapsed for him from when he left the donkey wheel and then dropped in the desert 10 months later. Or do you think he emerged on the same day he left the wheel and then 10 months later he went to the Sahara Desert? I'm just clarifying.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 02:24:52 AM »
I think Ben discovered a way back that requires the Losties.  I think history has to repeat itself in a way, with the O6 on board the same flight and Jack transporting a casket.  Just like the first time.

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 09:21:41 AM »
I originally chose option 4 but I've changed my mind to option 2.  I consider it possible that he was upset that he was leaving that particular time on the island.  Maybe he believes he could return later if he finds the island again but he doesn't know how much time will have passed nor what will be happening on the island when he does return.  It kind of reminds me of the phrase "You can never go home again.".  You can return home but it'll never be the same as when you left it. 

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 09:56:03 AM »
I think he was unable to return much like other "island movers" (guess they never heard of 'two guys and a truck')  ;) He may have found a way back which requires the Oceanic 6 since they all have a tie to the island - much like putting together a puzzle and needing all the pieces (even the dead ones). With Hugo's connection to the dead, it's quite possible Hugo will be the catalyst to return them to the island.......

Offline Mrs Hume

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 02:09:58 PM »

well, I think it was 10 months real time, but in Ben's experience it was only 3 minutes of time that elapsed for him from when he left the donkey wheel and then dropped in the desert 10 months later. Or do you think he emerged on the same day he left the wheel and then 10 months later he went to the Sahara Desert? I'm just clarifying.

Yes yes it was 3 min (estimated) for Ben but 10 months for all others.

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 04:39:27 PM »

Thinking is that Ben moves the island "POOF!"
OC6 get rescued, its been 10 months and then Ben "POOF!" appears again. But Ben hasn't lost anytime.
Make sense?

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 05:51:25 PM »

Thinking is that Ben moves the island "POOF!"
OC6 get rescued, its been 10 months and then Ben "POOF!" appears again. But Ben hasn't lost anytime.
Make sense?
No. Are you saying he hung around in limbo for ten moths or went instantaneously from donkey wheel to desert?  Because when you said

it sounds like you do not think it was 3 minutes later for Ben... So what I and motorcycle are saying is that for Ben Oct. 2005 took 3 minutes to get to, but it took the rest of the  world it took 10 months. It sounds like you don't agree with that...