Author Topic: Why moving the Island since the mercs are dead?  (Read 5319 times)

Offline golfstrom

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Why moving the Island since the mercs are dead?
« on: May 31, 2008, 05:43:55 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong.
1. Mercs come to the Island looking for Ben, they kill Alex, Ben sends Smokey after them, they're beaten but not defeated, they go back the the boat reeeeal mad.
2. They come back, Ben is in "panic" again, him and Locke (and Hugo taken hostage) go looking for the cabin so that Jacob tells them what to do to save the Island.
3. Jacob tells Locke to move the Island (in order to save it from evil Keamy, bloody arm of Mr Widmore)
4. Everyone is heading to the Orchid, Ben surrenders and is taken to the chopper.
5. GENERAL SHOOTOUT - EVIL MERCS DEAD (or so everybody thinks).

Soooo... why move the Island? Especially that "it's a measure of last resort". I thought it was supposed to help to save the Island. It wasn't supposed to just be a funride.

Any thoughts?

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: Why moving the Island since the mercs are dead?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 05:46:08 PM »
Widmore now knows where the island is, so they need to move it.

Offline quick127

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 05:47:16 PM »
Yeah - exactly.  As long as Widmore knows the location of the island, he'll stop at nothing to get there, or at least get control of it.

Offline golfstrom

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 06:30:18 PM »
OK, fair enough.
The Island is moved, the hunt is on again for Mr Widmore as he hasn't got a clue where or when the Island is now.

All Mercs are dead, none of the witnesses of the Others' village raid is off the Island (apart from Hugo, but he's unlikely to talk, especially to Mr Widmore's men).

How come Charles Widmore knows the course of action? How come he knows how Alex died? Someone - and that someone being an eye witness - must have told him what happend. It couldn't have been after the mercs got back to the boat because by then the ship's radio was busted.

Unless they could contact Mr Widmore using one of them fancy phones, but then what's the point of destroying the radio?

But my guess is he got hold of this knowledge after the Island was moved. So what? It didn't really work?

Sorry, guys, I just feel like I'm in a toxic relationship. I need more Lost but I feel I'm being fooled.

Offline quick127

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 06:34:41 PM »
They could have told him with one of the fancy phones, yes.

As for the radio - Michael destroyed it, and he wasn't loyal to Widmore, but to Ben.

I don't pretend to know how Widmore knows everything that has transpired, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has some sort of agent on the island.  Or perhaps a neutral party who tells both Ben and Widmore what is going on - but no details to give either the upper-hand.

Their quarrel has been consistently referred to as a game by the two of them - if a game, then who regulates it?

Offline golfstrom

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 06:52:27 PM »
I think that's my problem - as long as it was just a story of the flight survivors facing a new, strange reality on the Island (and the Others) it was OK for me to be constantly surprised by new revelations. The story had so many "natural" gaps that could be filled.

But right now the only thing missing in the entire series is an episode called "Deus ex machine". Oops, sorry, got that one. So maybe "Pulling a rabbit" (ha ha).

It reminds me of Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen - great story, but by the time you realise you're addicted, the crap begins.

With the radio -it's not the matter who did it, it's the matter why everyone thought they were cut out (including Minkowski, who knew the phones so if it was OK to make contact with the HQ using them, he wouldn't make such a fuss about the radio).

I don't know. I think it's that 9 months already getting at me.

Offline Gordon Shumway

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
The moving Island
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 08:04:37 PM »
Sorry if this is in another thread, but I didn't see it.

Seems to me that the island moving from one point to another explains, the Black Rock, Yemi's plane, and maybe the 4 toed statue. 

The island just popped up and the Black Rock, Yemi's plane and maybe the statue were all in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Bash away.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
Re: The moving Island
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 08:25:22 PM »
I think it definitely explains the Black Rock, possibly Yemi's plane, and probably not the 4-toed statue.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 09:44:30 PM »
The thing is Widmore knows where the Island is, or was. They had a fix on Naomi's location while the radio was still working. So the logical time to move would be at that point. So I'm not sure we're supposed to look this deep.....

I think the short answer why they moved even after the mercs were dead was that Jacob told them to.

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 09:46:22 PM »
The Black Rock could surely have been run aground as the island appeared around it (unlucky!). But Yemi's plane can... ya know... fly. So I'm not so sure that would work. Also the four-toed statue would have had to be in the middle of the ocean, which also seems unlikely.

I definitely see where you're going with the Black Rock theory though.

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 09:49:06 PM »
Widmore now knows where the island is, so they need to move it.

^What he said^

Their quarrel has been consistently referred to as a game by the two of them - if a game, then who regulates it?

I like this idea! A referee might be part of those "rules" that Ben mentioned after Alex was killed.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 09:59:05 PM »
The Black Rock could surely have been run aground as the island appeared around it (unlucky!). But Yemi's plane can... ya know... fly. So I'm not so sure that would work. Also the four-toed statue would have had to be in the middle of the ocean, which also seems unlikely.

I definitely see where you're going with the Black Rock theory though.
I think the Island was in a different location when Yemi's plane took off, and it crashed on Lost Island. Then the island moved.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 10:12:30 PM »
Yup, given what we've seen that's the likeliest explanation for a small Nigerian plane ending up on a South Pacific Island.

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 11:29:28 PM »
Unless Yemi's plane took off before Dharma got to the island, then no. The Island has not move since Dharma got there and made the teleporting microwave. There is only one way to get to the frozen donkey wheel, Ben and others would have no reason to fix the microwave. As for the Black Rock, yes this is a great idea, will probably be the answer in the end. The 4 toed statue, I hope dose not end up being from Atlantis. Thats my only theory on that and I hope it is not true.

Offline Gordon Shumway

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 12:35:33 AM »
So why would the island have to had moved during the Black Rock's time period?  What woul the threat have been?  Can we link Yemi's flight to the blast door map and get some sort of timeline?  Or is it all moot because of the time travel theories?