Author Topic: Loved the Finale, But......  (Read 8999 times)

Offline qgardens

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Loved the Finale, But......
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2008, 10:55:41 PM »
Madam P and JBRam:  Nice ways to put it...something more to tide me over during the looooooong wait until January! 
You're more than welcome to wait it out with us :)
And I will - as long as my computer doesn't crap out like it did last week  >:( 

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2008, 10:59:55 PM »
Madam P and JBRam:  Nice ways to put it...something more to tide me over during the looooooong wait until January! 
You're more than welcome to wait it out with us :)
And I will - as long as my computer doesn't crap out like it did last week  >:( 
Come visit us in the Community Lounge... it will make the time pass faster.

Offline qgardens

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2008, 11:32:23 PM »
Yeah, I am.  But I fear running up my post count in the word-association game.  I guess that's not technically postwhoring, correct?

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2008, 11:53:20 PM »
Yeah, I am.  But I fear running up my post count in the word-association game.  I guess that's not technically postwhoring, correct?
postwh0ring is allowed and encouraged in the community lounge :D

(But only in the community lounge!)

Offline qgardens

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2008, 02:03:09 AM »
only in the community lounge!
maybe i'll stick to here longer...youse guys made my head spin last month.  who'da thunk i'd need my college brain on a televison website??

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2008, 02:22:52 PM »
And Cap'n Falafel:  as for Sawyer being conscious after hitting the water, I *suppose* we could be persuaded to believe that if he hit feet-first the impact would have been absorbed/lessened that way - that's one reason there have been survivors of suicides off the Golden Gate Bridge.  Add to that the known effect of stress-induced adrenaline overload allowing people to perform amazing physical feats.  Yeah, granted, it's unlikely, and he should have at least been hobbling around a bit when he climbed up the beach, but that's also a willing suspension of disbelief you can choose to go with.  It's also not like the past four seasons have been error- and inconsistency-free, either. 

Men of Science, proceed to rebut....
I'm choosing to believe that the island's properties extend to the point that Sawyer is a fortunate recipient of its healing powers.  His jump was a self-sacrificing act and I'm sure the island gave him props for that.

As for the issue regarding the donkey wheel.. ya know, I'm okay with it.  I didn't expect them to explain in great detail how the island can move so I saw it as a "black box" method of explaining it.  Now, class, watch as I turn this wheel on this side of the wall and you'll see something incredible happen.  If they don't get into the inner workings of it, I'm accepting it as a simple way of letting us know that the island can, in fact, move but the how is gonna have to be kept secret.

Offline qgardens

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2008, 07:34:37 PM »
Now that I reread that, I suppose you all know I meant "attempted suicides".  Duh.  My thanks for your polite disregard of the brain fart.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2008, 11:06:11 PM »
And Cap'n Falafel:  as for Sawyer being conscious after hitting the water, I *suppose* we could be persuaded to believe that if he hit feet-first the impact would have been absorbed/lessened that way - that's one reason there have been survivors of suicides off the Golden Gate Bridge.  Add to that the known effect of stress-induced adrenaline overload allowing people to perform amazing physical feats.  Yeah, granted, it's unlikely, and he should have at least been hobbling around a bit when he climbed up the beach, but that's also a willing suspension of disbelief you can choose to go with.  It's also not like the past four seasons have been error- and inconsistency-free, either. 

Men of Science, proceed to rebut....
I'm choosing to believe that the island's properties extend to the point that Sawyer is a fortunate recipient of its healing powers.  His jump was a self-sacrificing act and I'm sure the island gave him props for that.

As for the issue regarding the donkey wheel.. ya know, I'm okay with it.  I didn't expect them to explain in great detail how the island can move so I saw it as a "black box" method of explaining it.  Now, class, watch as I turn this wheel on this side of the wall and you'll see something incredible happen.  If they don't get into the inner workings of it, I'm accepting it as a simple way of letting us know that the island can, in fact, move but the how is gonna have to be kept secret.
I kinda hope they don't explain it, cause it will just be cheesy trying to have a Dharma film say how the Casimir effect can make something completely disappear.

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2008, 10:40:21 AM »
Right, we just need some science fictional (or supernatural) handwaving accompanied by a few big words.

Offline E.S.B.

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2008, 01:35:31 PM »
Shakey, you've summed up my feelings on both the Sawyer and Donkey Wheel issue.  Good post!

The one thing I'd like to add about people's complaints on the donkey wheel is...  can anyone come up with a better way for them to have moved the Island?  I mean, really, they just moved an Island!  Is there any way that concept can possibly be made realistic?  I thought the show did as a good a job as possible at turning that mind-bending concept into a reality on the screen.  It made me think of someone changing the tuner on an old-fashioned radio to a new frequency.  And I definitely thought it was pretty cool that there was a flash and sound reminiscent of the Hatch-imploding event.

Offline Shakey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 01:55:25 PM »
Shakey, you've summed up my feelings on both the Sawyer and Donkey Wheel issue.  Good post!

The one thing I'd like to add about people's complaints on the donkey wheel is...  can anyone come up with a better way for them to have moved the Island?  I mean, really, they just moved an Island!  Is there any way that concept can possibly be made realistic?  I thought the show did as a good a job as possible at turning that mind-bending concept into a reality on the screen.  It made me think of someone changing the tuner on an old-fashioned radio to a new frequency.  And I definitely thought it was pretty cool that there was a flash and sound reminiscent of the Hatch-imploding event.
Thanks... your post is exactly what I was thinking... no realistic way to explain how they moved the island so don't bother trying.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2009, 07:43:41 PM »
Unless the fixed the back end.

Ben used to be part of Dharma. Maybe he knew someone in that station and they told him what happened the first time they accidentally put metal in there, or maybe Jacob told him to do it.

I completely agree.

And to repeat my analogy; if The Orchid was a car, the pod was the dashboard and the Ice Chamber was its engine. Ripping a dashboard out of a car doesn't render a car engine unuseable - just more difficult to utilise.

I'm beginning to think that's why the Faraday character was introduced - to repair the pod.

Well, I think he managed to repair it!  ;)