Author Topic: Loved the Finale, But......  (Read 8746 times)

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Loved the Finale, But......
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 11:30:25 AM »

-Juliet sitting on the beach drunk (very weakly acted by Juliet, IMO), Dumb scene and pointless.

Think about it:

Juliet has now seen TWO vessels explode that she was expecting to get her off the island.

She also thinks she just saw the man she obviously loved blow up right in front of her (Jack).

She also thinks everyone else just died right along with him.

She ALSO may think that Ben "somehow" had something to do with it, after being manipulated by him so much for so long.

Juliet is in complete shock...and at this point, she's giving up hope completely of ever leaving. She's now accepting what she feels is her fate: to be on that island forever, to die there.

I'd be downing a hell of a lot more than just rum if I were in her shoes lol.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 11:34:05 AM by WhatThe »

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 04:24:26 PM »
I agree, WhatThe, except I don't think she knows yet that Jack was anywhere near the freighter.

Offline qgardens

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 04:25:24 AM »
My two cents here:
1) How would Ben know that putting all of the metal in the chamber would blow out the back wall. They could of never done it before, otherwise it will would of been destroyed.  If Ben knows as much about the Island as he claims, then why wouldn't he know why one shouldn't put metal in the chamber and what would happen if one did?  He's a jerk, but he's not stupid.
2) Ben never did the move the island thing before, but he knew exactly what to do. Ditto
3) How does turning a wheel make an island move?? Pretty dumb to me. Very disappointed in that idea. Some ancient civilization discovered this?? We are not going to go aliens also, are we?? We still don't know everything about the island and its past inhabitants, so maybe they did.  Willing suspension of disbelief, except for the part about aliens, about which I agree with you.  I will puke if it's aliens.  That's such a cop-out.  I've had many an enjoyable book ruined for me by a crappy, far-fetched, you-readers-are-stupid-enough-to-accept-this-weak-answer "alien" ending; I hope not this show, too.   

And Cap'n Falafel:  as for Sawyer being conscious after hitting the water, I *suppose* we could be persuaded to believe that if he hit feet-first the impact would have been absorbed/lessened that way - that's one reason there have been survivors of suicides off the Golden Gate Bridge.  Add to that the known effect of stress-induced adrenaline overload allowing people to perform amazing physical feats.  Yeah, granted, it's unlikely, and he should have at least been hobbling around a bit when he climbed up the beach, but that's also a willing suspension of disbelief you can choose to go with.  It's also not like the past four seasons have been error- and inconsistency-free, either. 

Men of Science, proceed to rebut....

Offline LostAndSeek

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 12:19:24 PM »
I'm just choosing to believe the heli was low enough to make this feasible.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 12:40:03 PM »
I'm just choosing to believe the heli was low enough to make this feasible.

Yeah, me too. Think about the cliff diving that takes place in places like Jamaica...they're pretty damn high up lol.

Offline newerakb

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 12:40:45 PM »
The only thing that reallybothered me was Keamy's device triggering the bomb. Like the OP said...there's no way that signal could go through the metal/concrete lining the station, and then go through so many feet of earth, then out across the ocean to the boat. Especially not with a radio transmitter the size of a fist. Ever notice a radio tower, how big they are? Those things cut out if you go in a tunnel. Now imagine a tower that isn't 300 feet high, and is buried underground. Think you'd get signal?

On the other end of the bomb, back on the boat. When Michael brought that can of liquid Nitrogen out, I got excited because I knew exactly what he could do with it...but then he did something else. The bomb only goes off if the batter sends a reaction. If you've frozen the wires to the battery, the reaction can't happen...so instead of continuing to freeze the wire, freeze it once and then CUT THE WIRE, so the battery can't possibly send any power.

Both of those really bothered me. But I know that they were just means to and end, and if they wanted to kill Michael (and Jin?) they were going to, regardless of how.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 02:54:01 PM »
My two cents here:
1) How would Ben know that putting all of the metal in the chamber would blow out the back wall. They could of never done it before, otherwise it will would of been destroyed.  If Ben knows as much about the Island as he claims, then why wouldn't he know why one shouldn't put metal in the chamber and what would happen if one did?  He's a jerk, but he's not stupid.
2) Ben never did the move the island thing before, but he knew exactly what to do. Ditto
3) How does turning a wheel make an island move?? Pretty dumb to me. Very disappointed in that idea. Some ancient civilization discovered this?? We are not going to go aliens also, are we?? We still don't know everything about the island and its past inhabitants, so maybe they did.  Willing suspension of disbelief, except for the part about aliens, about which I agree with you.  I will puke if it's aliens.  That's such a cop-out.  I've had many an enjoyable book ruined for me by a crappy, far-fetched, you-readers-are-stupid-enough-to-accept-this-weak-answer "alien" ending; I hope not this show, too.   

And Cap'n Falafel:  as for Sawyer being conscious after hitting the water, I *suppose* we could be persuaded to believe that if he hit feet-first the impact would have been absorbed/lessened that way - that's one reason there have been survivors of suicides off the Golden Gate Bridge.  Add to that the known effect of stress-induced adrenaline overload allowing people to perform amazing physical feats.  Yeah, granted, it's unlikely, and he should have at least been hobbling around a bit when he climbed up the beach, but that's also a willing suspension of disbelief you can choose to go with.  It's also not like the past four seasons have been error- and inconsistency-free, either. 

My point is that the stations where dharama stations. No one else had filled the chamber with metal and blew a hole in the back of it. If they did, there would of been a hole. It was either a good guess or bad writing.

Newerakb, I agree about the battery and taking the wires off.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 03:48:12 PM »
My two cents here:

My point is that the stations where dharama stations. No one else had filled the chamber with metal and blew a hole in the back of it. If they did, there would of been a hole. It was either a good guess or bad writing.

Newerakb, I agree about the battery and taking the wires off.
Unless the fixed the back end.

Ben used to be part of Dharma. Maybe he knew someone in that station and they told him what happened the first time they accidentally put metal in there, or maybe Jacob told him to do it.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 04:51:23 PM »

Ben used to be part of Dharma. Maybe he knew someone in that station and they told him what happened the first time they accidentally put metal in there, or maybe Jacob told him to do it.

I completely agree.

And to repeat my analogy; if The Orchid was a car, the pod was the dashboard and the Ice Chamber was its engine. Ripping a dashboard out of a car doesn't render a car engine unuseable - just more difficult to utilise.

I'm beginning to think that's why the Faraday character was introduced - to repair the pod.

Offline therealsawyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 09:33:51 PM »

-Juliet sitting on the beach drunk (very weakly acted by Juliet, IMO), Dumb scene and pointless.

Think about it:

Juliet has now seen TWO vessels explode that she was expecting to get her off the island.

She also thinks she just saw the man she obviously loved blow up right in front of her (Jack).

She also thinks everyone else just died right along with him.

She ALSO may think that Ben "somehow" had something to do with it, after being manipulated by him so much for so long.

Juliet is in complete shock...and at this point, she's giving up hope completely of ever leaving. She's now accepting what she feels is her fate: to be on that island forever, to die there.

I'd be downing a hell of a lot more than just rum if I were in her shoes lol.
I also thought it was a call back to her previous flashbacks.

Sitting on the beach in Miami in "Not in Portland" and with Goodwin in "The Other Woman".

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 11:37:01 PM »

I completely agree.

And to repeat my analogy; if The Orchid was a car, the pod was the dashboard and the Ice Chamber was its engine. Ripping a dashboard out of a car doesn't render a car engine unuseable - just more difficult to utilise.

I'm beginning to think that's why the Faraday character was introduced - to repair the pod.
I think that the pod is more like the A/C. It is one function of the car, but nothing bad happens if you rip it out. It's just an inconvenience.

Offline Madam P

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 08:54:46 PM »
You know, it never ceases to amaze me... we sit here and watch an entire island blip away into the ocean and we don't bat an eye, but we worry about whether a transmitter will transmit through rock or whether a polar bear is capable of pushing a wheel in a semi-circle.   ;D  I know -- I'm just as bad -- I do it too.  We try to make everything make sense, but hey... this is "Lost"!  Three-quarters of the stuff on here doesn't make sense!   :D

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 09:02:18 PM »
I agree... :D

However, with a science fiction story, everything has to make sense in the universe that's created. So a disappearing island makes sense, but oversights and discontinuities don't... sorta.

Offline qgardens

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 03:29:00 AM »
Madam P and JBRam:  Nice ways to put it...something more to tide me over during the looooooong wait until January! 

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 12:47:02 PM »
Madam P and JBRam:  Nice ways to put it...something more to tide me over during the looooooong wait until January! 
You're more than welcome to wait it out with us :)