Author Topic: Loved the Finale, But......  (Read 9056 times)

Offline Sammy_G

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Loved the Finale, But......
« on: May 30, 2008, 01:50:13 PM »
I loved the finale, but I think there are a few inconsistencies.   How the heck can Keamy's arm-band, heart-rate, radio-transmitter broadcast a signal when he is supposedly "deep" underground?  That is a little far fetched  the signal would have faded the minute Keamy went in the elevator shaft.  Also, the ship didnt start moving towards the island until after the tender/zodiac had come and gone twice once with Saiyed and again with Faraday.  Thats a long haul on a little zodiac on the open ocean.  Again a little far fetched.  I think Im just not supposed to think that hard about these things and just accept them as plausible. 

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: Loved the Finale, But......
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
I thought it was amazing...the only thing missing for me was Abbadon

Offline solost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 02:47:14 PM »
Sammy.. Sammy.. Sammy.....this LOST anything is possible!

Offline zeekloveslost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 02:52:17 PM »
Well, Sayid did mention that the Sat phones were more advanced than anythign he'd ever seen. Widmore probably just has access to extremely advanced technologies. Better than the cell phoen you keep tryign to use in the elevator at work.

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 02:54:28 PM »
I wasn't too impressed with the finale.  The other finale's have been much better. This one was good, but not great.

Other inconsitencies:

-Keamy gets shot. Then he lives.  What, was he playing dead after Richard shot him or what?  If he had a vest on, he would have just gotten right back up like Charlotte did.  This was a weak part of the plot IMO.
- the whole Zodiac thing has me troubled
-Sawyer acts like nothing happens after he pulls  a stuntman move out of a flying helicopter into the ocean and swims 5 miles to the beach.  Juliet sitting on the beach drunk (very weakly acted by Juliet, IMO), Dumb scene and pointless.
--Jin staying with the Michael and the bomb, didn't make any sense why he would do that knowing he had a pregnant wife to take care of.
-Sayid killing a man (who and what for) outside Santa Rosa, then Sayid storms a mental ward with gun in hand, yet no one is around to stop him or talk to him

I'm sure there are other examples.

Offline blueeyed2200

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 03:50:47 PM »
I thought it was the best finale they have done since the beginning of the show. 
Things I loved:
1.  Desmond/Penny kiss . . . . been waiting since season 2 for that one!!! 
2.  So many ??'s answered
3.  So many new ??'s raised
4.  Sawyer wet and shirtless
5.  Keamy finally dead (thank god, I couldn't stand him) 
6.  Certain characters changing their perspective unexpectedly (Charlotte, Miles)
7.  Main characters dead
8.  Creepy whispers and dead people appearing out of nowhere
9.  Sawyer wet and shirtless (wait, I already said that huh??  Oh well, still loved it!)
10.  Walt came back!!!

Classic LOST finale . . . 9 more months??  UGH!!

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 03:54:30 PM »
I think Im just not supposed to think that hard about these things and just accept them as plausible. 

It's not really like all those things are completely 100% impossible. They're still within the realm of possibility. Find me a television show that is completely realistic and I'll show you a show that sucks eggs.

Offline KoKoNut

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 04:16:50 PM »
-Keamy gets shot. Then he lives.  What, was he playing dead after Richard shot him or what?  If he had a vest on, he would have just gotten right back up like Charlotte did.  This was a weak part of the plot IMO.
Well, I don't think Keamy would have gotten right back up, because if he had, they probably would have shot him in the head. 

-Sawyer acts like nothing happens after he pulls  a stuntman move out of a flying helicopter into the ocean and swims 5 miles to the beach.  Juliet sitting on the beach drunk (very weakly acted by Juliet, IMO), Dumb scene and pointless.
  For me, it was a relief to see Sawyer safely on the beach! I didn't want him to die!!!  And Juliet was numb because she probably assumed Jack and everyone else was on the frieghter when it exploded.  That could explain her dazed behavior. Also the reason they probably showed that part was so that we would know how the other survivors on the island knew what happened to the freighter.

--Jin staying with the Michael and the bomb, didn't make any sense why he would do that knowing he had a pregnant wife to take care of.
I believe that Jin actually thought he could diffuse the bomb. He was just trying to save his wife, baby and everyone else on board. 

Not sure which part troubled you, but hopefully they will explain that a little more in upcoming episodes.

-Sayid killing a man (who and what for) outside Santa Rosa, then Sayid storms a mental ward with gun in hand, yet no one is around to stop him or talk to him
Obviously the man that Sayid killed was stalking Hurley, probably one of the people from Widmore's camp who are going after the Oceanic 6.  Sayid was a trained assassin so I'm sure he was able to get into places that normal people could not.

These were just my opinions! I loved this finale! :)

Offline Captain Falafel

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 04:56:29 PM »
I wasn't too impressed with the finale.  The other finale's have been much better. This one was good, but not great.

Other inconsitencies:

I'm sure there are other examples.

T Mack, I'm with you on some, but not on others:
-Keamy didn't "get right back up like Charlotte did" because that would totally defeat the purpose of playing possum. His main objective was Ben. Why fight half of the island when someone gives you an opporunity to play dead, you can take a breather (as long as your ribcage doesn't expand) and then go after your primary objective bypassing an extended gunfight with an immortal and his disheveled posse.
-I too would have like to see the zodiac thing taken to fruition.
- I loved Sawyer being nonchalant about his stuntwork because it kept with his character perfectly. The only thing I didn't get was how he remained concious after jumping out of a speeding helo and hitting pavement-like water. He could have acted a little stunned.
-I didn't get the Juliet boozing on the beach scene either. Probably cause I've played it out in my mind so many times before and it didn't go anything like that! Of course mine couldn't really have played out on broadcast television.
-I think the Sayid scene was to reiterate that there was a dangerous operative watching Hugo. As far as someone being there to stop him... The Nutshack at that hour isn't exactly a swarming hub of activity and any late night security guard would be preoccupied with the fight to stay awake or the attempt to catch a buzz.

Offline Luna C

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 11:24:59 PM »
Hey, long time lurker, here.

Re: the questions about the Zodiac --  I used to have a boat like it, and believe me, even with a relatively low power motor, those things can MOVE, because they are very light and they skip right across the top of the water, with almost no surface drag. (Mine used to get up to around 35 mph if the water was flat.) And in these scenes, there was not much wave action.

It's totally reasonable that the boat could've made one or two round trips between the island the freighter in relatively short time.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 12:19:39 AM »
I liked the episode also but.......

I am not a big sci fi fan and the whole donkey wheel scene bothered me. Here is some reasons why.

1) How would Ben know that putting all of the metal in the chamber would blow out the back wall. They could of never done it before, otherwise it will would of been destroyed.

2) Ben never did the move the island thing before, but he knew exactly what to do.

3) How does turning a wheel make an island move?? Pretty dumb to me. Very disappointed in that idea. Some ancient civilization discovered this?? We are not going to go aliens also, are we??

That whole scene was to over the top for my taste. I would of prefered that he just used the machine down there. I can go along with a scientist inventing something other than a frozen donkey wheel in the bowels of the island.

Offline Lion of Atreides

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 03:12:10 AM »
It reminded me of a mix of sets from Conan + Alien v Predator.  As a sci fi fan, I'm somewhat baffled by the donkey wheel myself.

Offline Point Place WI

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 04:33:24 AM »
I liked the episode also but.......

I am not a big sci fi fan and the whole donkey wheel scene bothered me. Here is some reasons why.

1) How would Ben know that putting all of the metal in the chamber would blow out the back wall. They could of never done it before, otherwise it will would of been destroyed.

2) Ben never did the move the island thing before, but he knew exactly what to do.

3) How does turning a wheel make an island move?? Pretty dumb to me. Very disappointed in that idea. Some ancient civilization discovered this?? We are not going to go aliens also, are we??

That whole scene was to over the top for my taste. I would of prefered that he just used the machine down there. I can go along with a scientist inventing something other than a frozen donkey wheel in the bowels of the island.

Yeah that was pretty lame.  It just didn't fit.  So, are we suppose the believe that the swan explosion had nothing to do with that sound when the sky turned purple and that sound.  Someone left the island as well during the Swan Explosion as I heard the same sound when Ben left. 

Ehh Flippin Dharma they are just unpredictable even if they were just workmen

Offline RM

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 11:15:41 AM »
Yeah, turning a wheel to move the island was a little too much for me.

But, was it:
(A) releasing a latch that was holding the island in place against the natural forces surrounding it?, or
(B) adjusting the island to a different "frequency" so that it moved to a new time/space?

Plus, so Ben is so close to Ground Zero that he gets spit out 10 months later (whereas who knows when/where the island went)?

I did kind of like the bit with Jack making sure to save his loved one (Kate) at the expense of saving Sun's loved one (Jin) and now there's a permanent rift between them.  That was some nice snap-decision-in-a-crisis drama.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 11:25:35 AM »
I did kind of like the bit with Jack making sure to save his loved one (Kate) at the expense of saving Sun's loved one (Jin) and now there's a permanent rift between them.  That was some nice snap-decision-in-a-crisis drama.

I thought it was the helicopter pilot's call to not go back and rescue Jin, not Jack's...