Author Topic: Polar Bear Thoughts  (Read 13486 times)

Offline quick127

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Polar Bear Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 12:24:39 PM »
I definitely agree with you about Ben as well.  I don't think he's stuck off the island.  I think, as always, he's manipulating everyone around him to achieve his ultimate goals.  Whatever they may be.

His immediate goal - returning to the island.  I think he can go back just as easily as anyone else.  Which is to say - with a lot of difficulty.

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
Polar Bear was a "Full Sized " test dummy for the transporter and it ended up in Tunisa. Total miss fie on calculations and "poof" in the sand box. Ben last night did everything backwards from what Locke saw of the Orchid tapes. Basiclly he took forks and stuck them in a microwave oven. "BOOM!" Ben has blown out the back wall to the transporter and makes his way to the islands energy source. What Ben did and what the polar bear did are two different things that happened. The "gear" was to activate the entire island (which has a 5 mile raidus around it). I just add that because Jin is alive.

J= John Lock
A= Aaron
C= Christian Shepard
O=?
B= Ben Linus

Richard is evil and Ben is good

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 12:49:50 PM »
Polar Bear was a "Full Sized " test dummy for the transporter and it ended up in Tunisa. Total miss fie on calculations and "poof" in the sand box. Ben last night did everything backwards from what Locke saw of the Orchid tapes. Basiclly he took forks and stuck them in a microwave oven. "BOOM!" Ben has blown out the back wall to the transporter and makes his way to the islands energy source. What Ben did and what the polar bear did are two different things that happened. The "gear" was to activate the entire island (which has a 5 mile raidus around it). I just add that because Jin is alive.

J= John Lock
A= Aaron
C= Christian Shepard
O=?
B= Ben Linus

Richard is evil and Ben is good

If Jin is alive and with the island, then the wreckage of the freighter and helocopter and O6 would be with the island. They were closer to it then the boat.

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 01:24:33 PM »
Back to that polar bear idea...
How would they get the polar bear down there? Unless of course the trained it to insert metal objects into the chamber, activate it, climb down the ladder, clear ice so that the wheel could move, AND spin that wheel. Those are some pretty well trained bears... maybe I should get one. And did they really manage to stuff a polar bear and one or two people onto the Orchid elevator? I suppose your theory could hold water, but there are a couple things we need to know first. First and foremost: Is there any other way to get to the wheel? And if there was I don't think Ben would waste time with the collecting of metal and the exploding of the chamber. I don't know... call me skeptical but it's the little questions like these that get me to disagree.

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 01:32:54 PM »
Back to that polar bear idea...
How would they get the polar bear down there? Unless of course the trained it to insert metal objects into the chamber, activate it, climb down the ladder, clear ice so that the wheel could move, AND spin that wheel. Those are some pretty well trained bears... maybe I should get one. And did they really manage to stuff a polar bear and one or two people onto the Orchid elevator? I suppose your theory could hold water, but there are a couple things we need to know first. First and foremost: Is there any other way to get to the wheel? And if there was I don't think Ben would waste time with the collecting of metal and the exploding of the chamber. I don't know... call me skeptical but it's the little questions like these that get me to disagree.

spoil sport :-\

;) ;) I'm just kidding, all excellent points.

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 02:21:13 PM »
The 'wheel' and the 'transporter' (Not a transporter in reality, but a time travel machine, Ben said it himself last night he said 'time traveling bunnies', not 'teleporting bunnies') are 2 completely different things.

I agree with Lost n Detroit.  The polar bear was time traveled teleported to Tunisia as an experiment.  The moving of the island is a much greater magic trick than the time traveling and is located at the core of the islands power.  The  time traveling pod simply channeled some of the power into a single energy source so that the traveling could take place.

The real question for me is, when Locke asked Ben "so is this the Magic Box"? and Ben said no, then what is the Magic Box?  I believe Ben was lying.

Offline Gutterball94

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 03:46:05 PM »
I still think that the magic box is purely a metaphor...

Offline Lost-N-Detroit

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 03:50:47 PM »
I thought the same thing when he said "Is this the magic box?"
I purely thought that this is how Locke's father made it to the island. It's simply a transporter but when Ben added the Metal it acted like a microwave oven and blew the back out of the transporter container leading to the power source.

There has to be a magic box.   ???

Offline T Mack

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 04:18:10 PM »
There is definitley a magic box.

Here are my thoughts in another thread regarding polar bears being trained donkeys or used as domestic farm animals.  Not gonna happen IMO.

"Just to be clear, donkey's could have never turned that wheel (neither could polar bears for that matter), because they have no hands.  There was no way to 'walk around' 360 degrees and turn the wheel, they would have to be able to walk through walls, which we know is not even possible on Lost.   Only one side of the wheel was accessible because of the wall. The wheel had to be turned by humans with hands."

Offline JackCrow

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 04:34:53 PM »
But then again, the island didn't teleport, it just shifted in time.  Based on when Ben landed in Tunesia, the island won't be around again for another 10 months.

Jack

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 06:36:45 PM »
The Orchid's purpose was studying how the anomalies of the Island allowed movement in space and time.

Ben moves in both so we may well see that the Island moves in both. It may take months for it to reappear (to the extent an invisible Island will do that  ;)), but I reckon it'll be in a different place.

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 07:02:54 PM »
*raising the ridiculous flag*
Polar bears moving a wheel big enough for a man between the levers?

When a scientist type does an experiment in say, teleportation, he will start small.  Mouse, then rabbit, cow, as many cats as possible and just before human trials, maybe something of comparable size on hand, like a polar bear.

There was an entire Dharma zoological station to pick and choose from.  They were tying to build a better polar bear, so to speak, like we train dolphins.  At another Dharma station, they were doing teleportations and needed something to send to the desert.

Offline MangoBingo

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 08:52:58 PM »
I just saw the DHARMA-constructed pod within The Orchid as a "front end" to control whatever force The Island's warping (?) area already possesses.

If it were a car, Ben didn't damage the engine, he just removed the dashboard.

Offline LostAndSeek

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 10:41:48 PM »
Or cut a hole in the dashboard so he could get to the engine.

Offline hatch4815162342

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2008, 12:15:28 AM »
sounds like when the hatch imploded