Author Topic: Polar Bear Thoughts  (Read 15853 times)

Offline Swank13

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Polar Bear Thoughts
« on: May 30, 2008, 11:32:49 AM »
I was thinking it may be possible that after the Dharma purge Ben and the others used the trained polar bears to move the island at least once before.  Could explain the need to move the island after Danielle's boat crashed on the island.  Also would explain why a polar bear was found in the middle of Tunisia.  This would also make sure that everyone on the island could remain.....

Now if we don't believe Ben (and why should we) he could just have been using this chance to get off the island to find Widmore, kill Penny, gather the rest of the Survivors and get back to the island.

Thoughts????

Offline hefalumps

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Polar Bear Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 11:44:05 AM »
Interesting theory! Can't say I support it 100%, but it sounds like it could be possible.

I definitely think the island has been moved at least once or twice before. I wonder if Widmore or Abbadon were one of the previous "movers", and that's why they're motivated to find the island again.

Offline solost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 11:47:07 AM »
I was thinking it may be possible that after the Dharma purge Ben and the others used the trained polar bears to move the island at least once before.  Could explain the need to move the island after Danielle's boat crashed on the island.  Also would explain why a polar bear was found in the middle of Tunisia.  This would also make sure that everyone on the island could remain.....

Now if we don't believe Ben (and why should we) he could just have been using this chance to get off the island to find Widmore, kill Penny, gather the rest of the Survivors and get back to the island.

Thoughts????
Do you mean polar bears to move the frozen wheel? Hey they were smart bears, they figured out how to get food in their cage quicker then Sawyer did!!

Offline Writers_Strike

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 11:54:08 AM »
All of the stations were put there by Dharma in the 60's/70's or whenever they came to the island. Obviosly the island has not moved since Dharma took over because Ben had to blow out the wall with the teleporting Microwave. Why would ben and others fix the wall after killing off Dharma??

Offline CrashandCari

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 12:00:35 PM »
you know thats not such a bad idea..

the wheel is called a donkey wheel so if donkeys can be trained to go in circles to move it why not a polar bear?

and you made a great point about ben lying just so he could leave.. except he looked up and said "are you happy now jacob".. which sort of goes to the truth of him saying he had to leave

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 12:03:44 PM »
All of the stations were put there by Dharma in the 60's/70's or whenever they came to the island. Obviosly the island has not moved since Dharma took over because Ben had to blow out the wall with the teleporting Microwave. Why would ben and others fix the wall after killing off Dharma??

That's what I was wondering, too. You'd think they'd build another entry into the Move The Island room so that they didn't have to always dump tin foil into the teleporting microwave.

Offline quick127

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 12:05:55 PM »
There were ladders placed in the passage going down to the wheel chamber.

That means people have been there before.  I doubt it was the first time the island was moved.

I fully support the polar bear idea.  How else would a polar bear show up in the desert?

I'm certain it's been moved before.  As to why - speculation remains.  I'm trying to remember if Rouseau ever spoke about a loud noise on the island after her arrival - the uber hum that ushered in the relocation.

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 12:08:53 PM »
I like it.  It seems like it would be awkward enough for a bear to move the wheel though.  But the theory makes sense.  What I'm wondering is WHY is it frozen down there and exactly how deep is that?  Is the island core made of ice?

Offline *MaZ*

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 12:09:46 PM »
That's a very good theory! Makes perfect sense as to how a Dharma bear was found in Tunisia! And the Ben bit also makes sense, he's not one to give up easily...yeap, I think you might have nailed it! Good job!

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 12:11:52 PM »
There were ladders placed in the passage going down to the wheel chamber.

That means people have been there before.  I doubt it was the first time the island was moved.

I fully support the polar bear idea.  How else would a polar bear show up in the desert?
Well, considering it was cold down there, the polar bears might have been down there (or somewhere down there) simply to help give them a more natural habitat. Just something about "trained polar bears" that makes me think of the circus.

Offline CastawayCayley

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 12:17:53 PM »
Frozen Polar Bear Wheel? I'm thinking you may be on to something here...

Offline One Bad Malafaala

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Polar Bear in the Desert
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 12:20:06 PM »
Earlier in the year we saw Charlotte examining a polar bear skeleton in the desert.  The "donkey" wheel may have actually been a polar bear wheel.  Polar bears would be able to stay in the icy lair.  When they needed the wheel turned they could hook a chain/collar to the wheel and let the bear turn it.  Ben also ended up in the desert when he turned the wheel. 

Did the polar bear Charlotte was examining have a Orchid Station collar on?

Maybe the polar bear was a test?

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Polar Bear in the Desert
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 12:21:28 PM »
Um...lol

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Polar Bear in the Desert
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 12:22:02 PM »